Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Finally rooted! :)

Just finished rooting my S4 and it was a lot easier than I'd expected once I knew the steps. Thanks to everyone who helped me by answering my nooby questions. Now to flash CM
    Edit: Just finished installing CM, how do I get GAPPS?
    Last edited by UJ95x; 10-07-2013 at 04:31 PM.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Finally rooted! :)

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Just finished rooting my S4 and it was a lot easier than I'd expected once I knew the steps. Thanks to everyone who helped me by answering my nooby questions. Now to flash CM
    Can you walk me through it? Haha

Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Joachim View Post
    Can you walk me through it? Haha

What model do you have?

Is there a way to unroot yet?

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by thehoz View Post
    Is there a way to unroot yet?

There has been for a long time

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused.

There has been for a long time
    From what I've read on xda, there is root, but no recovery or easy to get back to stock (other than taking it to the Samsung guy at best buy). Last time I rooted I couldn't upgrade the os until I unrooted.

Anyway, where can I find a way to unroot? I have MF3. Thanks.

From what I've read on xda, there is root, but no recovery or easy to get back to stock (other than taking it to the Samsung guy at best buy). Last time I rooted I couldn't upgrade the os until I unrooted.

Anyway, where can I find a way to unroot? I have MF3. Thanks.

When in this general section of the S4 forum, it's important to note your model/carrier when asking questions about this sort of thing, since there are big differences among the different S4 variants. It sounds like you may be on AT&T? If so, then you are for the most part correct.

Best place to get answers to questions like these is to check the threads over on the dev forum for your device over at XDA...

EDIT: the XDA dev forums are not a good place to post noob questions, either use the "general" section or ask over here. None the less, that's a good place to go to read up on the threads pertaining to your device and the root methods available.

It's been a little over a month since I upgraded my phone to Samsung G S4, so it definitely came with the mf3 (coming from an iPhone 4S). I have been contemplating on rooting my device but there are couple of things that I'm afraid of. I've been reading that once you root, you automatically void warranty? Is this true? What if you unroot and put it back to normal?

I know that with the iOS devices, if it's jailbroken, and the phone needs service because something is not working (like hardware failure), one can easily do a factory restore to lose the jailbreak and of course the genius guys at the apple store won't know that it was jailbroken.

Now I got my phone from Best Buy Mobile, and got the Geek Squad Protection plan (paying 9.99 a month) so it pretty much covers anything from water damage to screen crack, So any accidental damage done by user is covered. With the exception of lost & stolen, and if the device is fully destroyed (like if you put a bullet through the device, etc) or it was completely submerged in water. But of course I'm not sure if rooting will void that one as well.

Personally I like my phone the way it is now, the only thing I really want is to get rid/hide the bloatware that it came with, of course being a super user would be nice. However, I don't want to take the risk of brick my phone. Although I still have my iphone 4S as my back up device but I can not go back because after looking at the 5 inch screen, it makes my iphone 4S screen so small and harder to read.

Any Advice? I still have lot more questions to ask but I think I'll go from here. Any experts out here are open to help me out.

I have the AT&T model. Also I currently have a macbook pro. But of course it's boot camped with Win. 7. I mean if there is a OS X version of the rooting process that would be great, if not I can just switch to win. 7

Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    EDIT: the XDA dev forums are not a good place to post noob questions, either use the "general" section or ask over here. None the less, that's a good place to go to read up on the threads pertaining to your device and the root methods available.
    You can say that again. You're right, it is AT&T s4. Every time I hear about a possible unroot I check over there. I want root, but as the other poster said, I want to be able to go back to stock in case I need warranty service. So, I wait on. Thanks.

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteiPadMini View Post
    It's been a little over a month since I upgraded my phone to Samsung G S4, so it definitely came with the mf3 (coming from an iPhone 4S). I have been contemplating on rooting my device but there are couple of things that I'm afraid of. I've been reading that once you root, you automatically void warranty? Is this true? What if you unroot and put it back to normal?

I know that with the iOS devices, if it's jailbroken, and the phone needs service because something is not working (like hardware failure), one can easily do a factory restore to lose the jailbreak and of course the genius guys at the apple store won't know that it was jailbroken.

Now I got my phone from Best Buy Mobile, and got the Geek Squad Protection plan (paying 9.99 a month) so it pretty much covers anything from water damage to screen crack, So any accidental damage done by user is covered. With the exception of lost & stolen, and if the device is fully destroyed (like if you put a bullet through the device, etc) or it was completely submerged in water. But of course I'm not sure if rooting will void that one as well.

Personally I like my phone the way it is now, the only thing I really want is to get rid/hide the bloatware that it came with, of course being a super user would be nice. However, I don't want to take the risk of brick my phone. Although I still have my iphone 4S as my back up device but I can not go back because after looking at the 5 inch screen, it makes my iphone 4S screen so small and harder to read.

Any Advice? I still have lot more questions to ask but I think I'll go from here. Any experts out here are open to help me out.

I have the AT&T model. Also I currently have a macbook pro. But of course it's boot camped with Win. 7. I mean if there is a OS X version of the rooting process that would be great, if not I can just switch to win. 7
    Yes, it voids your warranty but they won't know you rooted it if you reset the binary counter with triangle away. I have asked about the insurance covering my phone if it is rooted and they said as long as I can get it back to stock when I take it in they'll fix it (T-Mobile premium insurance plan) If you want to go back to stock, DO NOT FACTORY RESET. You have to flash a stock firmware ROM again

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

What model do you have?
    Galaxy s4 verizon

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Galaxy s4 verizon

I don't know how to root that model, I think there was an issue with the boot loader, not sure if it was resolved though.

You can say that again. You're right, it is AT&T s4. Every time I hear about a possible unroot I check over there. I want root, but as the other poster said, I want to be able to go back to stock in case I need warranty service. So, I wait on. Thanks.

I know the issues with the AT&T version are very similar to the Verizon version (which I have), but I'm not completely familiar with AT&T's. The Verizon version does have an "unroot" method, so I would assume the AT&T one does as well...but I'm honestly not sure if the factory images are available to allow it or not.

Galaxy s4 verizon

I don't know how to root that model, I think there was an issue with the boot loader, not sure if it was resolved though.

The bootloader issue has not been resolved for phones with the latest update (ME7)...root can be achieved, but no custom recovery, which means no ROMs (which, to relate to the original post of this thread, means no CM). There is some , but I'm not sure if that's ready for prime time just yet.

The actual process to root can be found here:

Again, this will let you run apps that require root, like Titanium backup, and remove bloatware and such, but you won't be able to flash ROMs or anything like that.

If you ever needed to "unroot" you could just flash the ME7 factory image:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I know the issues with the AT&T version are very similar to the Verizon version (which I have), but I'm not completely familiar with AT&T's. The Verizon version does have an "unroot" method, so I would assume the AT&T one does as well...but I'm honestly not sure if the factory images are available to allow it or not.

The bootloader issue has not been resolved for phones with the latest update (ME7)...root can be achieved, but no custom recovery, which means no ROMs (which, to relate to the original post of this thread, means no CM). There is some , but I'm not sure if that's ready for prime time just yet.

The actual process to root can be found here:

Again, this will let you run apps that require root, like Titanium backup, and remove bloatware and such, but you won't be able to flash ROMs or anything like that.

If you ever needed to "unroot" you could just flash the ME7 factory image:
    A question about unrooting...Does it completely remove the custom ROM and custom recovery or does it just install a ROM that is like stock firmware?

Last edited by UJ95x; 10-08-2013 at 03:27 PM.

A question about uprooting...Does it completely remove the custom ROM and custom recovery or does it just install a ROM that is like stock firmware?

Generally, when unrooting, you're reversing all steps...installing stock image, stock recovery, locking bootloader

EDIT: So, yes, it completely removes the custom ROM
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Generally, when unrooting, you're reversing all steps...installing stock image, stock recovery, locking bootloader

EDIT: So, yes, it completely removes the custom ROM
    How would I flash the stock image I made by backing up with TWRP?

How would I flash the stock image I made by backing up with TWRP?

Pretty much the same way you made the backup...just boot to TWRP and choose the restore option.

Please note, however, that simply restoring this back will NOT completely unroot you (if that's why you are asking), as you will still have unlocked bootloader and custom recovery installed. I'd advise checking the forums for the model S4 you have to see more detailed instructions on exactly how to do that if you wanted to.

2nd Note: A lot of folks don't realize when they first get into rooting that backups made in CWM or TWRP take up a LOT of space (several GB), and often it is written to internal storage by default. Both CWM and TWRP have means to direct the backups to SD card, which recommend. After a while, you'll want to check your storage and delete old backups if they're taking up too much space.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Pretty much the same way you made the backup...just boot to TWRP and choose the restore option.

Please note, however, that simply restoring this back will NOT completely unroot you (if that's why you are asking), as you will still have unlocked bootloader and custom recovery installed. I'd advise checking the forums for the model S4 you have to see more detailed instructions on exactly how to do that if you wanted to.

2nd Note: A lot of folks don't realize when they first get into rooting that backups made in CWM or TWRP take up a LOT of space (several GB), and often it is written to internal storage by default. Both CWM and TWRP have means to direct the backups to SD card, which recommend. After a while, you'll want to check your storage and delete old backups if they're taking up too much space.
    Yeah, I didn't like CM as much as I expected. My battery life isn't as good (odd) and it takes up almost 5GB so I only have 4 left. So I would boot into TWRP, restore stock image and then unroot with Odin? I can deal with the occasional Touchwiz hiccups, stock android isn't for me :\

I have the sprint version. Can you walk me through how to root it.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_M_Gregg View Post
    I have the sprint version. Can you walk me through how to root it.

I'm not sure if the method I tried will work the same for your model but I can give you a basic idea of how to do it.
    1. Backup all of your data before anything
    2. Download the CF auto root file for your exact model
    3. Download Odin v 3.07
    4. Unzip all the files with either WinZip or 7zip (I used 7zip)
    5. Make sure you have USB debugging enabled on your phone
    6. Put your phone into download mode by turning it off, then holding the home button, volume down and power button.
    7. Hit volume up when it warns you of the Custom OS
    8. Right click on Odin and hit run as administrator
    9. Make sure the first box in the bar is blue and says 0:[COM#] The # will vary depending on your model
    10. In Odin click PDA and open the CF auto root file and hit start
    11. It should now show a blue line in your phone
    13. When complete it should say pass in Odin
    This is how I did it, not sure how the Sprint version works but it should be similar if not the same.
    Download root checker in the Play Store just to be sure. This does not mean you can flash something like CyanogenMod on it. If you want to flash a custom ROM you also have to install a custom recovery on your phone.

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Repost
    Last edited by UJ95x; 10-08-2013 at 11:30 PM.

Yeah, I didn't like CM as much as I expected. My battery life isn't as good (odd) and it takes up almost 5GB so I only have 4 left. So I would boot into TWRP, restore stock image and then unroot with Odin? I can deal with the occasional Touchwiz hiccups, stock android isn't for me :\

It's not that odd. CyanogenMod, for the great features it has, can be quite buggy, especially if it's still in an "unofficial" or nightly phase of development for a particular device (which I believe it is for the S4...correct me if I'm wrong). I tend to wait for stable releases of ROMs before I install them...I simply don't have the time to be a beta tester right now

Also, that extra 5GB you're talking about may not have been CM itself, but could have been the backup your made in TWRP (see my post on this above). To verify this, look for a folder called "TWRP" on the root of your internal storage and see if there's anything in the "Backup" folder...that's could be what's eating up your space.

If you want to restore, yes, just boot into TWRP and use the restore option to revert the backup you made prior to installing CM. Whether or not you want to fully "unroot" after that is completely up to you, but you certainly don't have to. Once you've done the restore, you'll simply be back to where you were prior to installing the custom ROM...and you can stay there if you'd like or install another custom ROM, etc...

I do suggest though, that if it is the TWRP backup that using the space in your internal storage, to delete once your done your restore and your satisfied that you won't be needing the backup anymore. In the future, just make sure to write the backups to SD card (they'll still take up a bit of space, but at least it won't be your precious internal storage that's needed for apps).
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

It's not that odd. CyanogenMod, for the great features it has, can be quite buggy, especially if it's still in an "unofficial" or nightly phase of development for a particular device (which I believe it is for the S4...correct me if I'm wrong). I tend to wait for stable releases of ROMs before I install them...I simply don't have the time to be a beta tester right now

Also, that extra 5GB you're talking about may not have been CM itself, but could have been the backup your made in TWRP (see my post on this above). To verify this, look for a folder called "TWRP" on the root of your internal storage and see if there's anything in the "Backup" folder...that's could be what's eating up your space.

If you want to restore, yes, just boot into TWRP and use the restore option to revert the backup you made prior to installing CM. Whether or not you want to fully "unroot" after that is completely up to you, but you certainly don't have to. Once you've done the restore, you'll simply be back to where you were prior to installing the custom ROM...and you can stay there if you'd like or install another custom ROM, etc...

I do suggest though, that if it is the TWRP backup that using the space in your internal storage, to delete once your done your restore and your satisfied that you won't be needing the backup anymore. In the future, just make sure to write the backups to SD card (they'll still take up a bit of space, but at least it won't be your precious internal storage that's needed for apps).
    1. I downloaded the official 10.1 build because 10.2 still isn't stable
    2. Yes, the backup is the one taking up space. I couldn't move it though, it said permission denied I think
    3. If I restore the TWRP backup do I need to wipe first? I was told that I do in a thread I made about going to stock firmware

1. I downloaded the official 10.1 build because 10.2 still isn't stable
    2. Yes, the backup is the one taking up space. I couldn't move it though, it said permission denied I think
    3. If I restore the TWRP backup do I need to wipe first? I was told that I do in a thread I made about going to stock firmware

Yeah, you wouldn't want to "move" a TWRP backup once it's been done anyway...too high a risk for corruption. Just know that it is taking up space, and be sure to delete it once you sure your device is good to go and you don't need it anymore.

You don't need to wipe first before restoring the backup...but it won't matter if you do anyway. I saw your other thread, and actually thought that response was misleading. If it were me, I'd just restore the backup and go from there...you'll simply be right back to where you were before CM was installed. *IF* something goes wrong with the restore, THEN it would be a good idea to flash stock firmware, but otherwise I don't see any reason to do that unless you really wanted to go ALL the way back.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast