Stock Firmware

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I rooted my S4 and flashed CM yesterday and I already want to go back. The overheating is back, my battery life is half what it used to be and I can't use my phone as a remote (lose my TV control often) How would I go about getting back to stock firmware/factory defaults?

Posted via Android Central App

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I rooted my S4 and flashed CM yesterday and I already want to go back. The overheating is back, my battery life is half what it used to be and I can't use my phone as a remote (lose my TV control often) How would I go about getting back to stock firmware/factory defaults?

Before you throw in the towel , why don't you try a different rom? Like Hyperdrive for instance. Almost all of us using it have none of the problems you report.
There is a return to stock thread over at XDA if you have to go that route.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Dev Edition Vzw SCH-I545 with KT kernel using Tapatalk 4

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Before you throw in the towel , why don't you try a different rom? Like Hyperdrive for instance. Almost all of us using it have none of the problems you report.
There is a return to stock thread over at XDA if you have to go that route.

Sent from my Hyperdriven Dev Edition Vzw SCH-I545 with KT kernel using Tapatalk 4

Is it another stock Android ROM? I don't really like the stock Android UI as much as I thought I would. Touchwiz grew on me :p

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Is it another stock Android ROM? I don't really like the stock Android UI as much as I thought I would. Touchwiz grew on me :p

TW.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
TW.

Touchwiz based ROM? I think I would rather have the official tw firmware so I can use the air gestures. I actually use a few of them

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Touchwiz based ROM? I think I would rather have the official tw firmware so I can use the air gestures. I actually use a few of them

Air gestures work with this ROM +Verizon debloat. You can package re-install the bloatware if desired. Try it out. Lots of customization & works great with Xposed framework & mods.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Air gestures work with this ROM +Verizon debloat. You can package re-install the bloatware if desired. Try it out. Lots of customization & works great with Xposed framework & mods.

So it's exactly like TW minus the lag? Interesting, I'm on T-Mo though can you give me a link to the thread?

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
So it's exactly like TW minus the lag? Interesting, I'm on T-Mo though can you give me a link to the thread?

This link is for Vzw gs4 but from what I read it will need T-Mobile kernel to work & should then work. I know that AT&T folks are using it with their kernel. I will check xda for your device & see if anyone has success with It.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=null

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Here is link for using on T-Mo.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=45408676

Looks like I have to change the kernel and APN. I'll look into it for sure. I want to get back to stock firmware though, it's just something about having the official firmware that makes me feel better about my phone. I'm hearing that the 4.3 drastically "improves performance" on the S4 from the leaked 4.3 that was released a free days ago

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Would I download the latest firmware from SamMobile and install it like I was flashing a ROM or would I use the TWRP backup I made before flashing CM?
Edit: Thanks for the help by the way, usually I get a short answer that doesn't really answer my question

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Would I download the latest firmware from SamMobile and install it like I was flashing a ROM or would I

If you want to go back to stock rooted, if you made your nandroid right after you rooted and didn't change anything, I highly recommend you get that nandroid moved off your internal card onto the Extsdcard and completely wipe a few times and reformat your internal card before restoring your backup or flashing another rom. This will wipe everything except your twrp program.
If you just flash over top on CM your asking for problems.
If your done with roms, head to XDA and look up your exact make and model and look for how to Odin back to stock unrooted.
You shouldn't be able to take OTA updates while rooted with a custom recovery, I believe that will fail with twrp installed.
You'll have to Odin back and unroot.
Or flash a custom 4.3 touchwiz rom when they're good and stable.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If you want to go back to stock rooted, if you made your nandroid right after you rooted and didn't change anything, I highly recommend you get that nandroid moved off your internal card onto the Extsdcard and completely wipe a few times and reformat your internal card before restoring your backup or flashing another rom. This will wipe everything except your twrp program.
If you just flash over top on CM your asking for problems.
If your done with roms, head to XDA and look up your exact make and model and look for how to Odin back to stock unrooted.
You shouldn't be able to take OTA updates while rooted with a custom recovery, I believe that will fail with twrp installed.
You'll have to Odin back and unroot.
Or flash a custom 4.3 touchwiz rom when they're good and stable.

By nandroid you mean the backup I made with TWRP right? I made it right after I rooted/before flashing CM. After going back to stock firmware I should be able to get OTA updates from T-Mobile? I'm looking forward to the official 4.3 update said to be released soon

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Your safest bet is to follow the XDA instructions on using Odin to return to stock unrooted.
I got this link from XDAs T-Mobile forum. Read, reread watch the video a few times, jot down notes and do it clean and right so you'll be worry free.

How to Unroot / Unbrick Galaxy S4! - Complete Stock ~ Android Rootz | Source for Android Rooting, ROMS, Tricks and more!

Thanks, is this just the unroot or is it removing the custom ROM as well?

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It's how to get it back to brand new right out of the store. You will be downloading your stock files from that page under the video, don't use your backup. It's about 1.5 gig file, use a Pc to download it, you don't want any errors by doing it through your phone. Make sure you choose your T-Mobile zip.
If you want to reset your flash/binary counter follow those links first. Important if you need to ever return the phone, if you don't plan on rerooting you might want to think about doing that.
When you Odin this file to your phone its going to wipe everything off your internal, roms, backups, twrp, music, photos, everything, so if there's anything you need off it back it up somewhere else other than the internal storage.
Follow the instructions to the letter, there's no shortcuts or unnecessary steps.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
It's how to get it back to brand new right out of the store. You will be downloading your stock files from that page under the video, don't use your backup. It's about 1.5 gig file, use a Pc to download it, you don't want any errors by doing it through your phone. Make sure you choose your T-Mobile zip.
If you want to reset your flash/binary counter follow those links first. Important if you need to ever return the phone, if you don't plan on rerooting you might want to think about doing that.
When you Odin this file to your phone its going to wipe everything off your internal, roms, backups, twrp, music, photos, everything, so if there's anything you need off it back it up somewhere else other than the internal storage.
Follow the instructions to the letter, there's no shortcuts or unnecessary steps.

Ok. I saw a video that said that to use Triangle away I had to be rooted but on Stock firmware. You're saying I can just run it on CM anyway?
Sorry, if I'm asking too many questions. It's probably not as hard as I think it is but just making sure

HPferoxCraft

May 8, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about the questions, better safe than sorry.
Since its your goal to get back to out the box, what I would do is boot into your twrp recovery go into wipe and just slide the facory reset slider a couple times the hit the back button and restore your backup.
Then run triangle away then continue with the Odin procedure with the downloaded stock firmware.
After you successfully run triangle away you don't want to boot back into twrp because that will add a flash count, so you'll be using Odin to install the firmware.
If the triangle away fails you may need to flash an earlier stock firmware build first, but you may be OK with just your backup.
It appears pretty straight forward and painless for your device so that's lucky.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't worry about the questions, better safe than sorry.
Since its your goal to get back to out the box, what I would do is boot into your twrp recovery go into wipe and just slide the facory reset slider a couple times the hit the back button and restore your backup.
Then run triangle away then continue with the Odin procedure with the downloaded stock firmware.
After you successfully run triangle away you don't want to boot back into twrp because that will add a flash count, so you'll be using Odin to install the firmware.
If the triangle away fails you may need to flash an earlier stock firmware build first, but you may be OK with just your backup.
It appears pretty straight forward and painless for your device so that's lucky.

Ok, sounds easy enough I'll try as soon as I get home from school. Only have one class today so I should be back early. After this I can do the OTA update of 4.3 that should come out soon right? Thanks :)