Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 25 of 25
Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By deccs
  • 1 Post By ABOSWORTH007
  • 1 Post By WhiteiPadMini
  • 3 Post By blademael
  • 1 Post By carraser891
  • 1 Post By RooGirl78
  • 3 Post By deccs
  • 1 Post By ABOSWORTH007
  • 1 Post By deccs
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    deccs's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Hi all, next week I'm due an upgrade and I think it's time for me to leave the iPhone family and join the Samsung family. Everything I've seen and heard about the Galaxy S4 has impressed me, however, the only thing putting me off slightly is how soon the Samsung 'S5' will be out. I understand it's the beginning of next year sometime. Does anybody know, based on previous years, when any news will be released? Do you think it's worth upgrading now to the S4?

    Sorry it's such a noob post.

    Cheers
    ABOSWORTH007 likes this.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    If you can live without the amoled, removable battery, and SD card, I'd check out the LG g2. The s4 is still a nice option, hardware wise it's step behind.

    GS4/iPhone5
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    deccs's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Oh right, I never thought to check that one out, I've just S4 against the Xperia Z1, that's abit too bulky for me. I will look at the LG though. Thanks


    *Updated* Just checked out and LG, it looks good, however, I tend to travel alot and use my phone for movies and music, the one thing i didn't like with the iPhone was the lack of MicroSD. Not sure on the button placement either.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Quote Originally Posted by deccs View Post
    Hi all, next week I'm due an upgrade and I think it's time for me to leave the iPhone family and join the Samsung family. Everything I've seen and heard about the Galaxy S4 has impressed me, however, the only thing putting me off slightly is how soon the Samsung 'S5' will be out. I understand it's the beginning of next year sometime. Does anybody know, based on previous years, when any news will be released? Do you think it's worth upgrading now to the S4?

    Sorry it's such a noob post.

    Cheers
    From what I've read, the GS5 is supposed to come out in the first quarter of 2014. I'm guessing it will be in March or possibly April. I just made the switch from an iPhone 4S to a GS4 about 3 weeks ago and I too was considering waiting for the GS5. I decided to pull the trigger and I opted for the "new phone every year" program with AT&T rather than signing a 2 year contract so I'll be able to pick up whatever is available in about a year.

    If you can wait, kudos to you.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    deccs's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    That sounds like an awesome deal, to get a new phone every year. I don't think we have anything like that in the UK, I may be wrong though. I had a sneaky suspicion it was March/April time. I don't think I can wait that long, my mum is hounding me to upgrade straight away so she can have my iPhone lol. If there was any news on features/specs for the S5 I would force her to wait. But there's not.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Based on the S3 and the S4, one could estimate that the S5 would be announced sometime next spring (April?), and then be released sometime around May.

    There may be other phones out there to consider, but I don't see any reason why not to get an S4 with that long of a wait until the S5 is due to arrive.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    deccs's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Yeah, I think you're right, it's a scary world outside of the Apple bubble, I've been with them since the first iPhone. I'm not against getting the S4, I just don't want to get it and the S5 comes out with something so good that I'll be really peeved about having a 2 year contract lol.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Quote Originally Posted by deccs View Post
    That sounds like an awesome deal, to get a new phone every year. I don't think we have anything like that in the UK, I may be wrong though. I had a sneaky suspicion it was March/April time. I don't think I can wait that long, my mum is hounding me to upgrade straight away so she can have my iPhone lol. If there was any news on features/specs for the S5 I would force her to wait. But there's not.
    It's not that great of a deal. I have to pay an extra 20 something dollars per month in order to do this. I didn't have to pay 200 for the phone though, which was nice. You pay more but to me, upgrading every year will be a nice treat.

    Honestly man, I'd say go for it and get the S4. You won't be disappointed. It blows the iPhone out of the water.
    Thanked by:
    deccs 
    deccs likes this.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    I gotta say, I"m really impressed with the S4. I got mine on Sept. 6 2013. I also went from an iPhone 4S to the S4 and I have no regrets in switching. I am deeply in love with my S4. I would also say, go for it.

    I mean if you can really wait for S5 then do so, but it won't be for another 7 month for it to release. So I would say get the S4 now, be happy with it and when you are due for an upgrade, then S6 or S7 will be out that will be better than the S5.
    Thanked by:
    deccs 
    deccs likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default

    Phones are like computers, if you're always waitting to get the fastest, biggest one, you will never buy one, if you are ready and the phone you want has everything you need, then buy it.

    By the way, I have a S4 and I dont like it..... I LOVE it !

    Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    deccs 
    STSVA, Bodrul and ABOSWORTH007 like this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Quote Originally Posted by blademael View Post
    Phones are like computers, if you're always waitting to get the fastest, biggest one, you will never buy one, if you are ready and the phone you want has everything you need, then buy it.

    By the way, I have a S4 and I dont like it..... I LOVE it !

    Posted via Android Central App
    So true. It's a losing battle unless you have large sums of money to **** away.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    January for the S5
    Techno buffalo and various other sites have spoken

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  
    carraser891's Avatar

    Posts
    358 Posts
    Global Posts
    395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock TW FH13 ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    how is it a step behind? a quad core processor? 1080p screen? Just because it isn't the latest and greatest (snapdragon 600 vs 800) doesn't mean it's behind...

    Posted via Android Central App
    dkhmwilliams likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    I just wanted to add that just this week I went from an iPhone 5 to the S4 and I feel as if I've been let out of JAIL!!!! iPhone doesn't even come close to the S4... I'm totally in love with it.. if you want it then go for it. It really is an awesome device!
    Thanked by:
    gdmin likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  
    deccs's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Well, I got my S4 yesterday and it has totally surpassed expectations. I've had a continuous phoner (phone *****) since I got it out the box. Still figuring out bits and bobs about it but I frickin love it!
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Quote Originally Posted by deccs View Post
    Well, I got my S4 yesterday and it has totally surpassed expectations. I've had a continuous phoner (phone *****) since I got it out the box. Still figuring out bits and bobs about it but I frickin love it!
    Nice, glad you like it! As I said before, I just picked one up not long ago myself and I love the phone too. Only a few things I like better about my iPhone. Have fun! Check out Nova Launcher and Swift Key.
    Thanked by:
    deccs 
    deccs likes this.
  17. #17  
    JustmeGemmy's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    I made the switch not too long ago myself. A friend asked me yesterday if I miss my iphone at all & hoenstly, I don't. I did like the iPhone, but there's just more going on with android. I've not even really sat down & fully customised it yet (which I was most looking forward to!), just changed the font & I'm happy. Lol. Cant wait to get it looking how I want!

    I don't know if I will ever go back to apple.. it's not that their products are awful.. far from it. I just prefer to be able to make it my own & changing the background just doesn't cut it for me! I want ringtones that don't cost me 99p, notification tones, LEDs!! All the simple stuff that apple just won't let you change.

    I've had a look at nova & find it a bit confusing.. I'm sure I'll learn to love it though, once I figure it out! Haha x

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Quote Originally Posted by JustmeGemmy View Post
    I made the switch not too long ago myself. A friend asked me yesterday if I miss my iphone at all & hoenstly, I don't. I did like the iPhone, but there's just more going on with android. I've not even really sat down & fully customised it yet (which I was most looking forward to!), just changed the font & I'm happy. Lol. Cant wait to get it looking how I want!

    I don't know if I will ever go back to apple.. it's not that their products are awful.. far from it. I just prefer to be able to make it my own & changing the background just doesn't cut it for me! I want ringtones that don't cost me 99p, notification tones, LEDs!! All the simple stuff that apple just won't let you change.

    I've had a look at nova & find it a bit confusing.. I'm sure I'll learn to love it though, once I figure it out! Haha x

    Posted via Android Central App
    I used to make my own ringtones and notification sounds on my iPhone for free. Not impossible (or really that hard)

    Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
  19. #19  
    JustmeGemmy's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    There's no need for that sort of a reply really, is there? I did put on my own ringtones etc, however it was nowhere as easy as doing it on an android phone. Or even a blackberry.

    Posted via Android Central App
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Quote Originally Posted by JustmeGemmy View Post
    There's no need for that sort of a reply really, is there? I did put on my own ringtones etc, however it was nowhere as easy as doing it on an android phone. Or even a blackberry.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Huh? I wasn't being rude. I was pointing out that it was possible in case you didn't know. Stop thinking the worst of people.

    Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Customizing is really fun on an android system, easy and most of the time free

    Posted via Android Central App
  22. #22  
    Need_4_Weed's Avatar

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Why not get a Galaxy Note 3? I know the size may be a put off, but man, it is an absolute beast of a phone. It's an S4 on steroids, you should definitely check it out!
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  
    deccs's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    I contemplated the Note, but I just couldn't figure out how i'd carry a phone that big on a day to day basis.lol. I've got my S4 now and I'm so chuffed with it. Can't believe it's taken me this long to switch. The best thing about it? I've got the Sega Genesis Emulator......Sonic, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Ninja Turtles.........reliving my youth massively!
    jaleesag88 likes this.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Quote Originally Posted by Need_4_Weed View Post
    Why not get a Galaxy Note 3? I know the size may be a put off, but man, it is an absolute beast of a phone. It's an S4 on steroids, you should definitely check it out!
    That would be a great Choice. I picked one up launch weekend and it is heavenly. And it really isn't that much bigger than the S4.

    Sent from the baddest device on the planet, it's for real.
  25. #25  
    Aimes_D's Avatar

    Posts
    103 Posts
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts

    Default Re: Upgrading from iPhone to S4

    Welcome to the droid world Deccs!

    Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. How Can I watch Movies from my Nexus 7 to my TV? Can I even do that?
    By Atiya in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-03-2014, 12:52 AM
  2. Brand new S4 has google contacts on phone which are not mine???
    By GW69 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 05:00 AM
  3. Hide apps from "complete action using"?
    By cmroanirgo in forum Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 02:27 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 02:08 AM

Posting Permissions