Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Default Re: Galaxy S4 shuts down randomly

I too have read around on the forums and have yet to come across a solution thats been confirmed. However everything points towards battery replacement, but again, no one has verified this from what I have read on the forums (here and xda). Maybe I'm blind....

What I have:

AT&T s4 MF3 1337 4.2.2 Rooted
    **I haven't even had the phone for a full month yet.

I have the symptoms that many others have mentioned repeatedly.

-Randomly shuts down, not a restart, regardless of battery charge, and even on the charger.
    -After manually turning the phone back on the stock Boot Image appears instead of the "Samsung Custom" w/ padlock image.
    -Update blip appears once login pad appears.
    -Just happened again as I was typing this....and its charging.
    -Checked battery, it doesn't seem to be swollen. But again, this phone is brand new would it show signs this early?

Battery life hasn't been exceptional since I got it out of the box. I rooted for basic advantages, nothing fancy. After restarting the phone I run RootCheck and it says im still rooted regardless of the stock boot image. No updates are showing, still 4.2.2 MF3 1337 and its still an s4 hehe.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I haven't posted much until this incident but I've been using the forums religiously as learning tools. So this isn't a hit and run freak out message. lol

Thanks again.

I've had my S4 a few weeks and the last couple of days it has been doing everything that everyone here has mentioned and yes my battery serial number starts with BD!!
    The first sign of problems was I had no service and it said insert sim card, followed by randomly shutting down over the last couple of days and needing the power cord to start up even tho it had plenty of battery life?! It also had the time and date message when turning back on but I figured that was due to me having my phone set up to use the networks (telstra) time and date.
    Taking it back to my local shop where I bought it from today and asking for a new battery! So glad I read this first because I was ready to do a full reset in my phone!! My friends and husband ( iphone users) keep saying 'you've kill another phone', because yes I do tend to expect a little to much out of phones and I do tend to kill them, but I'm very happy now I know this problem isn't due to anything I've done!!!

Posted via Android Central App

I'm having the same issues. It seems like my battery is not completely flat, and indeed its serial # starts with BD

I have discovered something quite interesting. Both my girlfriend and I have the s4. I got mine when the device was launched and my girlfriend got hers back in August. Now her phone has the symptoms as stated in this thread and mine didn't. We took the batteries out to compare and noticed that not only was her battery notably thicker (swollen) that in fact her battery was made in China and mine in Korea. Clearly Samsung went for a less cost effective line of manufacturing but it's certainly going to be costing them more to replace the defected batteries! Her battery also started with BD.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffyfella80 View Post
    I have discovered something quite interesting. Both my girlfriend and I have the s4. I got mine when the device was launched and my girlfriend got hers back in August. Now her phone has the symptoms as stated in this thread and mine didn't. We took the batteries out to compare and noticed that not only was her battery notably thicker (swollen) that in fact her battery was made in China and mine in Korea. Clearly Samsung went for a less cost effective line of manufacturing but it's certainly going to be costing them more to replace the defected batteries! Her battery also started with BD.

Hope this helps.
    I have noticed like you that battery is swollen, serial number starts BD and yes made in china.....awaiting new battery in the post and hoping that it will stop turning off randomly. Due to work and the fact I refuse to hit the city at the worst time of the year, will report it after christmas!

Same problem with me, Battery does indeed start with BD and it has swollen.. Annoying as ****.

Quote Originally Posted by Andersmaten View Post
    Allright, that's what I thought.. Thank you - I'll go out for a new battery tomorrow, and see if it helps

I had the exact prob and thanks to this thread just changing the battery has fixed the problem. My battery was also swollen which I hadnt actually noticed. was told that you should let your phone get down to less than 10% before charging to avoid this happening again in future.
    min thitsar likes this.

i have been having this problem now for about a month. i have put mine down to heat.
    alot of the time my phone will turn off in my pocket when it is a hot day. it will even turn off when im using it sometimes on a hot day. i let it cool off and turn it back on and it will work fine again.
    i have no signs of the battery changing shape.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
    i have been having this problem now for about a month. i have put mine down to heat.
    alot of the time my phone will turn off in my pocket when it is a hot day. it will even turn off when im using it sometimes on a hot day. i let it cool off and turn it back on and it will work fine again.
    i have no signs of the battery changing shape.
    On a flat table, flick an edge of the battery and see if it spins. If it does, it's swollen. It's not always plain to the eye.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

dead flat. no signs of distortion. im still putting it down to heat as it only ever does it when it is hot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheProspector View Post
    dead flat. no signs of distortion. im still putting it down to heat as it only ever does it when it is hot.
    Yes, but it isn't the way it's supposed to be. If it isn't the battery and if the phone is running too hot, it's time to back up your data and look into getting a new phone, sad to say.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Question Re: Galaxy S4 shuts down randomly

I have also had this problem...happened yesterday.... after about 20 minutes it re booted itself. It was also warm to the touch....
    It is new as of Black Friday when I got it. Has anyone figured this out???

I have the same problem.
    - Did it help?

My Galaxy S4 does EXACTLY this. You aren't the only one.It started about a month ago. Just randomly shuts off. When I try and restart I get the little blue light, the samsung logo, the welcome music and the two icons at the bottom and then it simply closes down again.If I plug it into charger it could be half full bttery or nearly empty makes no difference and I daren't do anything other than limited text and phone calls or I have to recharge the blinking phone every 12 hours.

Could it really be linked to a bad battery or is there some fault that they aren't admitting to?

Hi we have a same problem! i have samsung galaxy s4 gt-19505
    after 2 months my samsung shuting down randomly! and when i put charger my samsung is okay!!
    i dont know why! this samsung is REALLY BIG FAILLLLLLLLLLL! BIG FAIL!! nextime i buy iphone! samsung is really fail!!

Was your issue solved after replacing the new battery?

It worked perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DraxP View Post
    Was your issue solved after replacing the new battery?
    It worked for me!
    after replacing the batery I solved the isue.

In my case the answer was simple. The starting system had been recycling like mad but had stopped when I plugged in the charger. A thread on YouTube suggested a skin builds up on the terminals I had scraped them with the point of a knife the problem has gone away. However I have bought a new battery from Amazon for 4:50 and invested in a battery charger also from amazon for 4:00 including postage.

On the battery scrape the little gold plates which connects to the battery to the phone, I'm not sure what it's all called.

Quote Originally Posted by donkarleone1983 View Post
    Mine has been doing the same thing. The battery is warped/bulging. My serial number starts with BD.
    I am going to take it into the Vodafone store
    Identical problem. Battery SN starts with BD.

my mobile is doing the same thing and i just open and the battery is swollen and made in china and starts whit BD. thanks im gona buy one tomorrow and tell you if it worked

When I try turning on my phone the samsung logo appears but then it shuts off right after. Ive tried the hard reset and changing the battery but it still turns off.

Please Help!!!
    Last edited by sevenx9; 05-12-2014 at 06:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sevenx9 View Post
    When I try turning on my phone the samsung logo appears but then it shuts off right after. Ive tried the hard reset and changing the battery but it still turns off.

Please Help!!!
    I'm having the same issue. I've tried charging, I went to T-Mobile and tested out different batteries, still nothing. T-Mobile is sending me another one with insurance but I wanted to get my stuff off of this one first. Does anyone know how to fix this issue? I put the battery in, it self boots to the samsung screen then turns off. I tried holding power + home + volume down and then quickly press volume up to continue but the phone still shuts down. I connect the phone to the charger and still nothing. The battery is flat, I tried to spin it on a flat surface to see if it was swollen and it's not. The battery is an AA. If someone can people help before 5/19 when T-Mobile is supposed to be sending the other phone that would be appreciated.

Thank you
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast