Galaxy S4 shuts down randomly

anon(8130172)

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello.
I've really tried searching for forumposts which describes the problem I'm experiencing, but not really anything like it.

Okay, I've had my phone for a few months now, and over the past week, it has been shutting itself down, even though there is plenty of battery left.
It seems like when I'm "stressing" the phone alittle bit, I can reproduce the problem. For instance, it usually happens when I browse around and multitask - jumping from one app to another... Also, if i just load the game GTA III, which is somewhat heavy to run, it shuts off within 10 minutes, usually less.
Also, I'm unable to reproduce the problem if I plug the phone to a power charger.

Firmware is the newest 4.2.2, kernel 3.4.0-1220396.

So, my first thought is that battery? I figure that since the device shuts off, and does not reboot, its unlikely to be a software issue.
My other thought is the heat, even though its never really hot or anything when it does this - maybe alittle warmer then normal body temperature, but nothing serious.

So I'm lost. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated :) Is it just repair time??

EDIT: I tried this app:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...va_conf.taketake.KyusokuHouden&token=6-scZuCV

It runs for a whole 3 seconds before my phone shuts off.

Regards,
Anders

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello.
I've really tried searching for forumposts which describes the problem I'm experiencing, but not really anything like it.

Okay, I've had my phone for a few months now, and over the past week, it has been shutting itself down, even though there is plenty of battery left.
It seems like when I'm "stressing" the phone alittle bit, I can reproduce the problem. For instance, it usually happens when I browse around and multitask - jumping from one app to another... Also, if i just load the game GTA III, which is somewhat heavy to run, it shuts off within 10 minutes, usually less.
Also, I'm unable to reproduce the problem if I plug the phone to a power charger.

Firmware is the newest 4.2.2, kernel 3.4.0-1220396.

So, my first thought is that battery? I figure that since the device shuts off, and does not reboot, its unlikely to be a software issue.
My other thought is the heat, even though its never really hot or anything when it does this - maybe alittle warmer then normal body temperature, but nothing serious.

So I'm lost. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated :) Is it just repair time??

EDIT: I tried this app:
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...va_conf.taketake.KyusokuHouden&token=h-KUUBvH

It runs for a whole 3 seconds before my phone shuts off.

Regards,
Anders

It sounds like some weird "safety" feature that shuts the phone down when its losing too much battery life at one time. (guessing)
I have never heard of this issue. It could be a hardware issue involving the battery/charging system....
I am running the GS4 GPE, So my phone isnt running the same software... but I dont have any issues like this.

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
If the phone needs the power cord to turn back on, and the power level seems different then when it shut off, that's a bad battery. Get it replaced before it starts to swell and possibly damage the phone or you (leak/explode).

anon(8130172)

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
If the phone needs the power cord to turn back on, and the power level seems different then when it shut off, that's a bad battery. Get it replaced before it starts to swell and possibly damage the phone or you (leak/explode).

It doesnt neccesarily need the power cord to turn back on - but if i turn it on right away after the shutdown, it will shut off again within minutes just from the stress of booting up again :/
Note that if i plug in the power cord it wont shut off again :)

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
It doesnt neccesarily need the power cord to turn back on - but if i turn it on right away after the shutdown, it will shut off again within minutes just from the stress of booting up again :/
Note that if i plug in the power cord it wont shut off again :)
That's still the symptom of a bad battery. :)

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Same problem from my S4 here in the Philippines. I have no idea how to claim warranty as I'm from a province recently badly damaged by a passing typhoon. *sigh*

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Same problem from my S4 here in the Philippines. I have no idea how to claim warranty as I'm from a province recently badly damaged by a passing typhoon. *sigh*

If you got it through official channels (carrier/store and not eBay), you should be able to get a free or reasonably priced battery replacement from where you bought it. Otherwise, contact Samsung directly.

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I got it from my carrier. I don't buy gadgets from eBay. Going to look for a replacement today. Will claim my warranty from Samsung Service Center in Manila by next month, I guess.

Update: Everything is fine now. I replaced my battery yesterday. My phone doesn't lose signal and shut down at 80% battery anymore. I wish I didn't factory reset my device the other day to check if it was a rogue app. It was indeed the battery.

Last edited:

Darnell0216

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Harass your carrier's store first. If they give you an issue, go through Samsung once the area is safe to travel. Hope all is well with you and those you know.

Ernz420

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I had the same problems. The problem is the battery. I took it to the Samsung store and when the guy pulled out the battery he noticed that it was warped. So you should pull out your battery and see if it has expanded (a healthy battery will be flush from side to side and you should not feel any bulges). I called Samsung and they wanted me to send in the entire device but I told them I can't because I need my phone for work and my old phones are not compatible with the smaller sim cards. So they just wanted me to send in my proof of purchase and some pictures of the battery. But the best thing to do is call 1-800-SAMSUNG first and they should be able to assist you. If you want to avoid sending in your entire phone just say that you need your phone for work...or any other excuse.

Good Luck

beaver2111

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Having the exact same problem myself the last 3 days.
It just shuts off randomly even though there is pleanty of life in my nattery.
I can't get it back on until i put it on charge.
Only had it since july
driving me mad

Jax0121

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I've been having similar problems lately. My phone will shut off and even if I wait a few minutes I can't get it back on. I've even taken the battery out and put it back in, but it'll only vibrate and the Galaxy S4 startup screen will come on but then the phone will go off again. It did it again today; shut off around 9:00am and all day I kept trying to restart it. I finally got home around 5, continued to try, even hooking it up on the charger and connecting it to the computer, still nothing. Somehow I replaced the battery again and it finally turned on. I have no idea what's going on.

The battery was at 90% when it initially turned off and 52% when it came back on. It's probably the battery but the fact that charging it doesn't necessarily get it back on has me worried.

Any ideas?

Update:
It just did it again when I tried to write a text message.
Another weird thing is that when it does turn back on it had an "auto update/time" message. Maybe a bug when the time change happened?

Last edited:

katfish10

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
My galaxy s4 randomly shut off today for the first time, but I can't get it to turn back on; it was completely charged this morning before I went to work. I've only had it since July as well but since it's my first REAL smartphone I have handled this thing like my life depended on it. It's been in its case since the day I got it and I've dropped it maybe 3 time in the last few months. I took the battery out but there was no signs of any problems.

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
^ Last three posters. You all have bad batterys. Mine did the same thing.

What are your serial numbers of your batterys ? Do they start with BD ?

john 2shorts

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine also has been having this problem and the battery is bulging. serial BD also.
You cann take them to samsung repair centres and they will replace free of charge. Just been.

Last edited: