Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is a screen protector necessary?

Hello all. I used to have a matte screen protector on my S4 as soon as I bought it. I then noticed my girl friend's phone is way clearer with a clear screen protector and my screen was really 'washed out' because its matte.

I bought an otter box commuter a few days and it came with a clear screen protector which I really dig into. Was really impatient to put it on just now, and I screwed up and now its just the glass itself. Of course, it was dumb of me to put it on all by myself and it was not surprising that I screwed up.

So here my question. Is it really a need or just something that is absolutely crap? I may be using this phone for maybe a year and the half because I hate changing phones for some odd reasons.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Is a screen protector necessary?

Not necessary, but advisable. Gorilla Glass is resistant, but not unbreakable. I had my old Note 2 without one and while it stood against keys and a couple of drops here and there, I dropped it once on a hotel room while at the beach and lo and behold, a tiny spec of sand was no match for Gorilla Glass and it left a tiny scratch on the screen. Now, it didn't take away any functionality, but you could still see it (especially me, after knowing what a stupid thing caused it).

So, it's better to be safe than sorry, I guess. An extra layer of protection never hurts, but I do hate those matte films or the 'privacy' ones; they take away so much from the wonderful screen.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Not necessary, but advisable. Gorilla Glass is resistant, but not unbreakable. I had my old Note 2 without one and while it stood against keys and a couple of drops here and there, I dropped it once on a hotel room while at the beach and lo and behold, a tiny spec of sand was no match for Gorilla Glass and it left a tiny scratch on the screen. Now, it didn't take away any functionality, but you could still see it (especially me, after knowing what a stupid thing caused it).

So, it's better to be safe than sorry, I guess. An extra layer of protection never hurts, but I do hate those matte films or the 'privacy' ones; they take away so much from the wonderful screen.
    As far as I know, gorilla glass is immune to blades and keys but no match for sand and diamonds.

Anyway, is it okay to get those crappy @ss screen protectors for like $8 or so? I have already blown off my cash on the otterbox and wouldn't want to spend another $40+- just for a screen protector (no offense intended).

Yeah, that one should be fine. If it scratches, you can replace it and don't feel the blow on your wallet so badly.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Yeah, that one should be fine. If it scratches, you can replace it and don't feel the blow on your wallet so badly.
    Thanks! Probably getting one next week or so. Even with an otterbox case, I still feel paranoid about my screen :/

Quote Originally Posted by tastycaramel View Post
    Thanks! Probably getting one next week or so. Even with an otterbox case, I still feel paranoid about my screen :/

You should. Nothing will annoy more than a damaged screen!

Ps. Never seen a $40 screen protector. Even the overpriced ones they sold at the T-mobile store weren't close to that.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    You should. Nothing will annoy more than a damaged screen!

Ps. Never seen a $40 screen protector. Even the overpriced ones they sold at the T-mobile store weren't close to that.
    Well, I exaggerated a bit at that part. But there's a $30 screen protector which I have forgotten the brand. Zagg invisishield or something like that. Not sure what makes it so expensive though :/

When I've used the S4 I've just used it without any sort of protection. if you drop your S4 on any type of cement or hard surface, screen protector or not its going to break most likely. I'm very concious not have my keys or coins ever in the same pocket as my phone anyway. I just don't like anything hampering how my device feels in my hands overall.

I think Screen protector is a must have on any device in general.

I am using the Spigen Glas'T nano slim tempered glass screen protector (yes it's made of glass), and it was very easy to install and no mess up like other types of screen protector. Although it is pricey, but definitely worth the money.

Oh when you drop your phone your glas't will probably break, but your actual screen glass is unharmed, unbroken.

One thing to be careful of when installing this kind of screen protector is you can not bend them while you install. If you bend ever so slightly, it will break.

Spigen.com
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Just went to my local hand phone shop and got a really cheap clear screen protector. Now, my worries are over :P

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteiPadMini View Post
    I think Screen protector is a must have on any device in general.

I am using the Spigen Glas'T nano slim tempered glass screen protector (yes it's made of glass), and it was very easy to install and no mess up like other types of screen protector. Although it is pricey, but definitely worth the money.

Oh when you drop your phone your glas't will probably break, but your actual screen glass is unharmed, unbroken.

One thing to be careful of when installing this kind of screen protector is you can not bend them while you install. If you bend ever so slightly, it will break.

Spigen.com
    Never seen those kind of glass screen protectors before. Does it make the screen "thicker" compared to those typical screen protectors?

i have a matte screen protector on my s4 i got my phone in august and have always had a protector on there i did try a clear one but could never find one that wouldnt leave fingerprints and smudges not without paying a fortune im very happy with my screen protector yes it may take away some of the clarity of the screen but then im not forever wiping off finger prints and smudges i couldnt use my phone without one but i guess at the end of the day its personal preference

Screen protector = unnecessary + waste of $$

Quote Originally Posted by tastycaramel View Post
    Never seen those kind of glass screen protectors before. Does it make the screen "thicker" compared to those typical screen protectors?

It depends on what type you get, the nano slim model is so thin that it's barely noticeable. And is the same thickness as you put on a cheap one in. Everything is still functional, there is no degrade in clarity.
    Banned

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

I feel like a screen protector keeps your screen from cracking. Not sure why, but I've dropped my phone on its screen a ton of times and its still ok. This might have to do with how the phone chassis envelops the screen though.

Sent from the last HTC device with a removable battery on T-Mobile
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by alexlam24 View Post
    I feel like a screen protector keeps your screen from cracking. Not sure why, but I've dropped my phone on its screen a ton of times and its still ok. This might have to do with how the phone chassis envelops the screen though.

Probably has to do with the screen protector sort of absorbing the energy converted :P

Quote Originally Posted by alexlam24 View Post

You've just been lucky. Screen protectors do not help the screen from breaking in the slightest they're purely to keep scratches and gashes caused by keys and pockets etc.

It used to boggle my mind when people came with a shattered screen and told me they didn't understand because they had a screen protector on.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    You've just been lucky. Screen protectors do not help the screen from breaking in the slightest they're purely to keep scratches and gashes caused by keys and pockets etc.

It used to boggle my mind when people came with a shattered screen and told me they didn't understand because they had a screen protector on.

Sent from my *PURPLE* Galaxy S4
    At least the screen protector saves your fingers from get cut by the cracks

Shanicenicolle likes this.