Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to dim screen before goes out

How do I dim the screen so that I know the screen is about to go out? I know the iPhone has this feature and wanted to know if there's a way to have this feature on the s4. Its not rooted. It just gets really annoying when your screen goes right out when you were in the middle of reading an article or looking at a picture.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: How to dim screen before goes out

AMOLED vs LCD | Digital Trends

LCD's require a backlight, therefore even when the backlight turns off, you can still see the LCD when it's dimmed out.

AMOLED doesn't have backlight according to the link above.

AMOLED screens consist of a thin layer of organic polymers that light up when zapped with an electric current. Due to this simple construction, AMOLED screens can be extremely thin and don’t require a backlight. The benefit of losing a backlight is readily apparent: these screens are able to produce blacks so deep that the screen pixels can shut right off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson Buechlein View Post
    How do I dim the screen so that I know the screen is about to go out? I know the iPhone has this feature and wanted to know if there's a way to have this feature on the s4. Its not rooted. It just gets really annoying when your screen goes right out when you were in the middle of reading an article or looking at a picture.

Mine dims, not sure why yours doesn't. My timeout is set to 1 minute and my brightness is somewhere between 70 and 80. It dims about 10s before it cuts off. Note that if your brightness is low (below the dimming threshold), that will make it just cut off.
    Samsung Galaxy S 4 NAE 4.4.2 Rooted with CF Auto-Root and HotSpot Mod
    HTC EVO Design 4G Rooted with HTC SuperTool v3 by frigid

Oops please disregard my other post above. Even with amoleds it should be able to dim. What's your brightness setting? And how long before screen turns off?

Samsung Galaxy S4 (Arctic Blue)
    Successfully ROOTED Samsung Galaxy S5 (Black) - AT&T