Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default After updating to VRUDMI1 - can't uninstall updates to return old Google Maps

On my S4, after updating to VRUDMI1 (latest software version 10/15/13) - I can no longer "uninstall updates" to return to the old version of Google Maps.

Anyone have a suggestion on how I can get the old Google Maps back ?!?

Default Re: After updating to VRUDMI1 - can't uninstall updates to return old Google Maps

nope not possible
    Fancy A Break From Your iPhone? Have an Android Kit Kat

Default Re: After updating to VRUDMI1 - can't uninstall updates to return old Google Maps

Will someone please ban still1...

I'm having the same problem. I believe it's because the "factory version" of the Maps app has actually changed in VRUDMI1, technically the app was not upgraded.

Maps 7 is absolutely UNUSABLE. My phone has effectively been bricked by this update (because it never worked quite right as a phone, and now it doesn't work as a GPS either.)

Because Maps is a factory app and 7 is now baseline in VRUDMI1, there is no way to install an older version without rooting due to a certificate conflict. So therefore, I was forced to root my phone.

Once rooted you have (in theory) two options:

1. Simply overwrite the .apk for Google Maps 7 with an older .apk for Google Maps 6. Multiple people have made .apk's for old versions of Maps 6 available for download.
    2. Find Good Old Google Maps - someone hacked Maps 6 so that the app name is different inside the .apk, so it can run alongside Maps 7 and you won't ever be asked if you want to upgrade (note that because the certificate was not modified, you must still be rooted and hack-install this.)

I tried both of these plus multiple versions of Maps 6 in Option 1 above.

Either of these methods will allow you to get into the old, non-terrible Maps 6 with meaningful navigation and interface, open-to-navigation in fewer than 20 clicks, and no constant crashes. The problem with both is that Maps 6 says "Searching for GPS" perpetually, and even though it correctly locates you on the map doesn't appear able to give turn-by-turn voice prompts

I feel like I'm SO CLOSE, so if anyone could help me figure out the next step I would be most appreciative.

I might work on downgrading from VRUDMI1 which seems very dangerous, and which I can not find any information on. We trusted Google too much and it was only a matter of time before they used their power for evil.

Im having the same horrible problem and searching/working for a solution. I'm considering buying another s4 without the latest software update installed and sell my current one. Loving my s4 and am going to hate how much time it will take just to get back to the old maps. I dislike the new maps very very much and find it unusable.

This is just plain BS....the phone companies and software companies want the consumer
    to use their software - see what they want them to see.
    I am so sick of this.
    I only bought my phone 2 months ago - and accidently downloaded the update....
    I am so pissed. I use the Navigation EVERYDAY 2-3x a day for traffic.

I'm new to rooting a phone. How hard is this to do?
    How do I go about doing it?