Do metal battery back covers block signal for the s4?

Matt 109

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I am thinking of getting an s4 but would want a higher quality back cover w/o a case. I figured a metal back might do the trick. But the ones I've seen reviews for on amazon say it blocks the signal strength. I didn't know if there were backs that did not do this. The cases section was, well full of cases not backs so I figured is try and ask in the general discussion. It doesn't need to be metal, just a much higher quality back. Maybe some have little strips of non metal along the sides to not interfear with the antenna? Carbon fiber would be ideal but afraid it would cost way to much for the real stuff . Thanks.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I am thinking of getting an s4 but would want a higher quality back cover w/o a case. I figured a metal back might do the trick. But the ones I've seen reviews for on amazon say it blocks the signal strength. I didn't know if there were backs that did not do this. The cases section was, well full of cases not backs so I figured is try and ask in the general discussion. It doesn't need to be metal, just a much higher quality back. Maybe some have little strips of non metal along the sides to not interfear with the antenna? Carbon fiber would be ideal but afraid it would cost way to much for the real stuff . Thanks.

It would certainly be diminished, but it wouldn't totally block because the signal could still go through the front. Back when I was using an iPhone 4, I bought a similar metal replacement back, and it certainly had an effect.

If I were you, I would just get a really high quality case like a Spigen.

skidoo

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Spigen Neo Hybrid.

Thin and lightweight, but fairly durable, and the back is a nice matte finish (slightly soft) which does not collect crumbs and junk.

The "bumper" around the Neo Hybrid (available in 5 different colors) looks nice. Looks pretty metal.

EDIT: And not only are your cell signals unaffected, but you can use NFC with it all day long.
___
Posted via mobile.

RageRoids

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I dont know why you would want to have metal to be honest. If your after protection
surely the best would be something that absorbs shock like rubber/silicone.

Matt 109

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I dont know why you would want to have metal to be honest. If your after protection
surely the best would be something that absorbs shock like rubber/silicone.

I'm not after protection, I just want a more premium feel to my phone. I have insurance, and I will look at some cases to see what's out there. @skidoo, yeah I saw that last night looking at backs. Thanks everyone for your replies. I kind of figured metal backings would block some signal. Looking for reviews last night, some said 4g wasn't a real problem but wifi and 3G are because of where those antennas are placed. We will see.

James Ickes

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I the 4s and just put a metal casing around it. IT affects the 4g signal when Im at work Where the signal is not that great. I take it off when at work and magically I can connect to 4G again. It doesnt work at all with it on