Video calling on android/S4?

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I recently switched from an iphone 4s to a Galaxy S4 and love it, but I don't know how to go about video calling. In IOS, it was built in to the OS, but I don't see any option for that on android.

How do I video call other people? Do I need a 3rd party app? What if I want to video call with someone who has IOS? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I recently switched from an iphone 4s to a Galaxy S4 and love it, but I don't know how to go about video calling. In IOS, it was built in to the OS, but I don't see any option for that on android.

How do I video call other people? Do I need a 3rd party app? What if I want to video call with someone who has IOS? Thanks!

In case no one has said so; Welcome to the forums, and Android.
For Android, you would have to get a third party app, like Skype or Google Hangouts. Hangouts is an Instant Messaging app that has a Video Call built in.

streetslide

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
i just went through this royal PITA too. Hangouts works fine once you get all the kinks worked out. My wife uses Google Apps which is controlled by her business. They didn't allow the hangouts, calendar and some other stuff until we requested it all. Once that was done, I could call her via Hangout pretty easy. Don't have a clue how it would work with Apple.
You would think video calling would be easy as pie right from the contacts. Apparently it is supposed to work that way in other countries. They have a video icon right next to the contact - brilliant! We have to jump through Hangout or Skype loops which makes no sense to me & makes it not worth my time.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
i just went through this royal PITA too. Hangouts works fine once you get all the kinks worked out. My wife uses Google Apps which is controlled by her business. They didn't allow the hangouts, calendar and some other stuff until we requested it all. Once that was done, I could call her via Hangout pretty easy. Don't have a clue how it would work with Apple.
You would think video calling would be easy as pie right from the contacts. Apparently it is supposed to work that way in other countries. They have a video icon right next to the contact - brilliant! We have to jump through Hangout or Skype loops which makes no sense to me & makes it not worth my time.

I am going to blame carriers for lack of video integration.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site

Tried hangouts with someone who has an iPhone and its very buggy. Doesn't seem to work well at all. Are there any apps that can connect to face time ?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Tried hangouts with someone who has an iPhone and its very buggy. Doesn't seem to work well at all. Are there any apps that can connect to face time ?

My guess is no. Was Hangouts buggy on the android side or the iPhone side?

MrMoto1992

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
My guess is no. Was Hangouts buggy on the android side or the iPhone side?

It was not pushing notifications on the iPhone. We got that fixed though and I have already gotten hangouts going with my wife and my parents. I actually like it a lot!

Since almost everyone has a gmail, I think this will be the closest alternative to face time available. Thanks for the help!

PS. If anyone knows of any other easy video calling apps, please feel free to share

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
It was not pushing notifications on the iPhone. We got that fixed though and I have already gotten hangouts going with my wife and my parents. I actually like it a lot!

Since almost everyone has a gmail, I think this will be the closest alternative to face time available. Thanks for the help!

PS. If anyone knows of any other easy video calling apps, please feel free to share

Cool. Glad you figured it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC