Galaxy S4 Music player wont play from SD Card

Terrill Kincaid

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I have a 32 GB card, I pulled it out of the phone, plugged it into my reader on my computer and moved the music into a directory I made and named "MUSIC"

I attempted to do the same with it plugged into the phone, but it would not allow me to make a directory. I found that strange, but being new to this I don't know if that is normal.

So I pulled the music off the phone, and pushed it onto the SD card.

Now the music player will not find the songs where they are. I can go into "My Files" and select and play any song there, I just can not get the things to go into my player.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

TYVM

EDIT::: Also of note, is the music is inside sub directories for albums...

STSVA

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Try clearing the music player app's data. It should then scan for new music.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Terrill Kincaid

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
I did that. I tried the "music" app, and the "play music" app the comes with the phone. Neither seem to be doing the trick.

I also have an alarm clock app, which can not see the files.

Terrill Kincaid

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
It was all unprotected mp3's.

I pulled the music back to my PC to back it up, I formated the SDcard via the phone, and put it back on.

Now it works just fine without any additional tinkering. I don't understand it since, it was obviously working (i could play the file directly) but hey hopefully my experience will help someone else down the road.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Go into the application "media storage" and clear the data and cache to make it rebuild your library

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2

kchunks

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the tip on formatting the card in the phone. I did it and everything works great now. I also cleared the data of the music player. I was having the same issue, he file was there, it would play it if I went and found it, but the music player apps did not find them. Of course I did this after I downloaded everything via google play on my wife's phone that just throws all songs together with no understandable order in one folder on the phone and now I will start over with hers.

Denisa Janeth D

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I had the same problem. Tried different apps and formatting the card - nothing helped.

Then I noticed that the music app is looking for certain name of a folder - so I added folder called "Samsung" on the SD card, moved all the music there and all is working. (I'll be trying the same thing with pictures - create a folder on the SD card called "download" and move all pictures there)

Effectively the path to the music is now /storage/extSdCard/Samsung/Music.

Hope this helps.

D

kiwibrucie

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Awesome stuff, sure does help!!

So simple when you know how, huh. :)

Moved all my music files to a new music directory from my internal SD but no joy with Google Play. Googling threw up lot's of
complicated advice about rooting my device, directory binding etc, etc till I found this thread and your Samsung directory fix.
Works perfectly now on my Galaxy note S8. Thanks again!!

Sami Hajjaj

Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I've had this problem as well .. and here is what finally worked for me:

on ur SD card ... create a folder named "Music" and put all ur music files, albums, folders in this folder ... this way music player will recognize it

cheers

Mohammed Irshad

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
I have a 32 GB card, I pulled it out of the phone, plugged it into my reader on my computer and moved the music into a directory I made and named "MUSIC"

I attempted to do the same with it plugged into the phone, but it would not allow me to make a directory. I found that strange, but being new to this I don't know if that is normal.

So I pulled the music off the phone, and pushed it onto the SD card.

Now the music player will not find the songs where they are. I can go into "My Files" and select and play any song there, I just can not get the things to go into my player.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

TYVM

EDIT::: Also of note, is the music is inside sub directories for albums...

I also got the same problem...but i found the correct method...just go to my files-settings-music directory at that point
choose ur sd card and click the "set here" button on the right top.

mickmccall66

Feb 17, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, Dakeb, but clearing the cache in media storage didn't help on a Samsung Galaxy s2. Nor did making a "Samsung" folder full of music, Denisa. Nor did making a "Music" folder on the SD card. What finally worked on this one was resetting the music directory to show on teh SD card. Thanks, folks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781