I have a 32 GB card, I pulled it out of the phone, plugged it into my reader on my computer and moved the music into a directory I made and named "MUSIC"

I attempted to do the same with it plugged into the phone, but it would not allow me to make a directory. I found that strange, but being new to this I don't know if that is normal.

So I pulled the music off the phone, and pushed it onto the SD card.

Now the music player will not find the songs where they are. I can go into "My Files" and select and play any song there, I just can not get the things to go into my player.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

TYVM

EDIT::: Also of note, is the music is inside sub directories for albums...
    10-28-2013 01:04 PM
    Try clearing the music player app's data. It should then scan for new music.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app
    10-28-2013 01:36 PM
    I did that. I tried the "music" app, and the "play music" app the comes with the phone. Neither seem to be doing the trick.

I also have an alarm clock app, which can not see the files.
    10-28-2013 02:20 PM
    Still can't get this thing to work

Any more idea's?
    10-28-2013 08:20 PM
    Is the music drm protected? Also what format?

ATT N3
    10-28-2013 10:47 PM
    It was all unprotected mp3's.

I pulled the music back to my PC to back it up, I formated the SDcard via the phone, and put it back on.

Now it works just fine without any additional tinkering. I don't understand it since, it was obviously working (i could play the file directly) but hey hopefully my experience will help someone else down the road.
    10-29-2013 02:58 PM
    Go into the application "media storage" and clear the data and cache to make it rebuild your library

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 2
    10-29-2013 03:12 PM
    Thanks for the tip on formatting the card in the phone. I did it and everything works great now. I also cleared the data of the music player. I was having the same issue, he file was there, it would play it if I went and found it, but the music player apps did not find them. Of course I did this after I downloaded everything via google play on my wife's phone that just throws all songs together with no understandable order in one folder on the phone and now I will start over with hers.
    01-03-2014 10:48 PM
    Hi,
    I had the same problem. Tried different apps and formatting the card - nothing helped.

Then I noticed that the music app is looking for certain name of a folder - so I added folder called "Samsung" on the SD card, moved all the music there and all is working. (I'll be trying the same thing with pictures - create a folder on the SD card called "download" and move all pictures there)

Effectively the path to the music is now /storage/extSdCard/Samsung/Music.

Hope this helps.

D
    kiwibrucie and John-ON like this.
    05-30-2014 07:30 AM
    Awesome stuff, sure does help!!

So simple when you know how, huh. :-)

Moved all my music files to a new music directory from my internal SD but no joy with Google Play. Googling threw up lot's of
    complicated advice about rooting my device, directory binding etc, etc till I found this thread and your Samsung directory fix.
    Works perfectly now on my Galaxy note S8. Thanks again!!
    08-20-2014 06:14 PM
    Hi all,

I've had this problem as well .. and here is what finally worked for me:

on ur SD card ... create a folder named "Music" and put all ur music files, albums, folders in this folder ... this way music player will recognize it

cheers
    11-04-2014 08:02 AM
    This worked like a charm on a note 4. Thanks!
    01-28-2015 09:00 PM
    I have a 32 GB card, I pulled it out of the phone, plugged it into my reader on my computer and moved the music into a directory I made and named "MUSIC"

I attempted to do the same with it plugged into the phone, but it would not allow me to make a directory. I found that strange, but being new to this I don't know if that is normal.

So I pulled the music off the phone, and pushed it onto the SD card.

Now the music player will not find the songs where they are. I can go into "My Files" and select and play any song there, I just can not get the things to go into my player.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

TYVM

EDIT::: Also of note, is the music is inside sub directories for albums...
    I also got the same problem...but i found the correct method...just go to my files-settings-music directory at that point
    choose ur sd card and click the "set here" button on the right top.
    01-22-2016 01:21 PM
    You need format your SD to a FAT32 only wait will function
    01-31-2016 11:55 AM
    Thanks, Dakeb, but clearing the cache in media storage didn't help on a Samsung Galaxy s2. Nor did making a "Samsung" folder full of music, Denisa. Nor did making a "Music" folder on the SD card. What finally worked on this one was resetting the music directory to show on teh SD card. Thanks, folks.
    02-17-2016 04:38 PM
    try clearing the music player app's data. It should then scan for new music.

Sent from my sch-i545 using ac forums mobile app
    worked for me thank you!
    03-01-2016 09:27 AM