Samsung Galaxy S4 cannot connect to PC via USB after upgrade to Android 4.3

mani0099

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 cannot connect to PC via USB after upgrade to Android 4.4.2

I was dealing with same issue from almost a month now and go through l the forums i could but in vain. Finally today i got the fix.
I could not transfer my images from samsung 4 to my computer after an update through the original USB as all the forums recommend to do so but nothing works.
Here's what i did, i hope it might work for you too.
I search for all samsung software i had on my computer under control panel> programs. I found two samsung assiatant and other was softare installer. I uninstalled both. Refreshed my computer. Then connected my phone via USB. It took few minutes and it installed new driver. It recognised my phone. I got all my pics transferred. More than happy.
I hope it works for you. :)

celicabackwards

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I got it to work for me after 2 days of trying stuff out.

I'm running windows7 and my S4 is on version 4.4.2

First with S4 and USB cable that came with phone for charging, I connected together with PC.
It would not read MTP device properly.

I searched for the "device manager" on my pc, I went to the "start menu", went to "computer", then in that window went to "system properties", then located "device manager", another window opens and should give a list of items that copile as part of the PC, in "portable devices" it was showing me that my device was a "code 10" with a little yellow yield sign, clicked on it and another window opened, clicked on "driver" tab and I uninstalled the driver while still phone was still connected. I restarted my phone with cable still connected.

I then restarted my pc with phone still attached. once PC got to the desktop page I disconnected phone from cable while cable still attached to pc and reattached cable at phone (had a small quote box in bottom right saying it was installing device driver). Then a small window popped up giving me my "device options"

hope this helps someone out there.

djbillyd9849

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
I have tried all of these "solutions", and I still get the same stupid message, "The device is not functioning correctly", or something like that. I have done all of the available updates. When I open KIES, I can't manipulate any files, opening, copying, or whatever.

I have only one request:

HELP!!!::confused:

Leonardo Olmos

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to solve this problem for at least two hours. And you were the ONLY PERSON who said anything about the cable. It's not even on Samsung website. Thank you, thank you so much.

Medrod

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Thx. You are absolutely correct. I left my charger in a hotel last week so I connected the never-been-used Samsung charger into an outlet in the kitchen and took the Samsung USB cable from my computer to use with the charger for both my Kindle and Samsung Note 2.

Recently I updated the phone's OS and yesterday was the first time since then that I plugged the phone into the computer. Phone would charge but not connect for file access. I began thinking it was related to the upgrade and I tried to find a way to reset the phone's USB port, but could not.

Doing a google search I found your comment and it reminded me of a Western Digital USB drive I've had for years that will only work with the cable provided by WD. I returned the cable I had taken to the kitchen back to the computer, plugged in my phone and - POW - it was back online. :cool: Thanks again for posting.

I've heard some say that it's due to a cheap USB cable. Sorry, but they're wrong. Once I found this relationship, I tried the WD cable on the Note 2 and vice versa. Neither device would operate properly.

almiti

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
For those of you that use Titanium Backup.... I have a solution..
I found I had frozen the "MTP application 1.0" app. Once I unfroze this, and reconnected my Note 3, I was able to see the phone and SD Card contents....:D

Took me a few weeks to figure this out...... Hope it helps someone else having this problem....

Additionally, for those of you that state it's a cable issue, it truly may be a cable issue (if you buy or use cheap ones).
I can use the supplied Samsung cable, a USB 3.0 cable that I bought from a local store, and a Nook/Kindle Micro USB cable - all work...

jquebby

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
10,000 thanks! This was the solution for me. Now my laptop recognizes my S4. Is there any reason the setting should be reversed?

Prince Jeeva

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
will changing it from RMNET + DM + MODEM cause problems with the service, I'm wondering because I'm with wind and the phone i have is s4 i377m which isn't originally from wind

Dat_Kush_Kush

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I dunno if you're still having the problem, but what worked for me was uninstalling kies and then the USB drivers and then reinstalling the driver from the Samsung website. If anyone else has this problem, first try this before going out and buying a new cable which may or may not work. Hope it helps :)

Rachel Spence

Aug 20, 2014
Visit site
Is there a way to recover photos and videos before doing this? I am totally bummed. Went to download my photos over the last month and no go. I was able to in June and into July, so I am not sure when this little bug decided to smack my phone.

Thanks!

Rachel

Pankaj_keshri

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Make sure you are using the Galaxy S4 cable that came with the phone.

Remove your battery and sim card and restart your phone may also work.

If that doesn't work try debugging mode. Go to settings - More options - About device - Click device number 7 times.
Then go back to developer options and make sure it is turned on in the top right hand corner and then scroll down to USB debugging turn it on and restart your phone.

The other option is to us the usb menu from the dialer pad and if it isn't on MTP + ADB then change it and reboot your phone and reconnect the device.

Dial pad for usb menu numbers:
4.2 *#7284#
4.3 *#0808#
4.4 *#0808#
Dial ##3424# then select CDMA modem, then qualcomm USB settings from there select MTP and hit ok for S4 Mini users
I recommend Airdroid for wirelessly transferring your files.

Thanks,
Pankaj

DerekE_F

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I can confirm that the CABLE DOES MATTER. I couldn't believe it would make a difference, but with various USB cables around the office I had tried to connect with one and no connection luck at all other than simple charging (i.e. no debugging, no multimedia device capability, not even recognised by the PC. Also Kies simply says "connect device" and nothing happens when you plug it in). Unaware of the potential problem, we have not labelled USB cables with source of origin, so can now only find out which ones work by trial and error! However, the one I am currently using does have a "Samsung U2" sticker on it, and I think is probably the one that came with my S4 device.

Jeff Putman

Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
Spent nearly four hours trying to find out why my phone could not be detected by my laptop. When I saw your advice, I remember this happening years ago on something and borrowed a different USB cord.

Yep - problem resolved. I thank you kindly, Trooperxxx. :{)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan