Some advice for my new S4

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I bought my S4 in Korea. It is a SHV 300S LTE device. Octa core sold through SKT.

I would like to remove all the bloatware, maximize battery life, and use nova launcher with the click UI icons.

Should I root my device? If so why? What are the top 5 ROMs? Better to just freeze apps without root?

Also what is the best / easiest method for backing up my device? (apps, info, ect)

Also, is there an app or software to which I manage my music preferably similar to itunes and iphone? Would like for the phone to be able to automatically add new music to my device and keep it up to date.

Sorry for all the questions. Any and all advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

You don't have to root your device to do the basics like disabling bloatware and using a new launcher. To beat that pesky bloatware into submission check this.

Nova's one of the best launchers out there and one of the ones I use. As far as backing up your device? That'd be Helium in my book.

Aaah, the rooting question. Well, with great power comes great responsibility. I wouldn't root just to root. If you have some particular function that can only be achieved by rooting then yeah, but otherwise...nah.

We're here to help...it's what we try to do.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Well, the critical apps won't allow you to disable them. If you're not sure about disabling an app you can always ask us too. Someone else has been there.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
With Nova launcher you can hide apps and replace Touchwiz. However, root would be required in order to enhance performance (overclock, underclock, change kernel, etc.), remove bloatware, and use some of the root only apps (Titanium, ROM Manager, ROM Toolbox, AdBlock, Greenify).

Best ROMs: CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, SlimBean, Carbon, PacMan

I'm currently running stable version of CyanogenMod 10 and it's been performing great without any issues. It's based on stock Jelly Bean so it looks great and you get most of the new features. Also get additional settings like performance options, developer options and a theme chooser. It runs really smooth without any lag.

Contacts and apps are saved through Google, but you can backup the device using Titanium Backup. Or you can use TWRP to create a complete backup of your phone once it's rooted.

Easy phone tunes will allow you to transfer all your iTunes music to your phone. You can also put the music on micro SD card.

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Or you can also use Samsung KIES. It's basically iTunes for Samsung, except there isn't a music store.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech