Voice-to-text not working properly

Summer11580

Jul 6, 2016
Visit site
For Samsung Galaxy Stardust, went to Settings > My Device > Language and Input
Under Keyboards and Input Methods, unchecked "Google Voice," then rechecked "Google Voice."
This worked for me.

Sabbath 69

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Phone in question is a Galaxy S4 on Verizon. Android 4.2.2

OK so I usually use Chomp SMS as a text messaging app, with Swiftkey set as a default keyboard. Today for the first time I decided to try the voice-to-text feature in Swiftkey (long-press the mic button). Problem is, I long-press the button and get the vibration indicating the long-press has happened, but nothing happens from there. No change in the screen, no voice recognition at all.

I tried the stock messaging app, same thing. Tried going back to the Samsung keyboard, couldn't even get a mic button there after playing with settings. Tried the Google keyboard, same thing, couldn't even get a mic button. I looked all over settings in all the keyboard apps and phone settings but could not figure out what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure there's probably some stupid setting that I'm missing somewhere...

S-Voice (driving mode) works, but as of now that seems like the ONLY way I can do voice-to-text. Any ideas?

If you go to edit on the pencil in your contacts then hold down the zero and the plus sign and put A1 before the phone number speech-to-text will work correctly I guarantee it

Last edited by a moderator:

ifixedit

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
To get your mic back drag the cog key and it will spread into options on keyboard where you can pick mic again to voice text. I did it too.

cgunday

Mar 18, 2017
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I have strange problem. And couldnt find any proper solutions, maybe you can help me.

I have galaxy s6

When I say "ok google" it detects my voice and detects properly my speech.
But when I try to use TTS with other writing options (eg. with WhatsApp or SMS or Google Documents to write smth.) I am having problem.

It doesnt work. When I tap green button, it sounds and suddenly I hear another sound. ITs like trying to find microphone (first bleep) and in a second couldnt find (second bleep). Even I try to say smth, there is no waves, which syndicates the system analyzing your voice.

Surprisingly, in main screen ,everything fine with ok Google...

I have tried to switch to Smasung TTS but result is same...

Any ideas?

Cachristie

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I have a Motorola G4 Plus.
For some reason when I try to write an email using the voice to text button, it will only write the first few words then stop. Then when I try to repeat the rest of the sentence it erases the first part of the sentence and replaced it with what I just said.
I NEED HELP! FOR GOD'S SAKES SOMEONE SHOW ME GUIDANCE IN THESE TROUBLING TIMES! GIVE ME HOPE!

Circle1

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Voice-to-text not working properly. Try disable battery-saving mode.

I had the same problem after installing Android 6.0 Marshmallow. The voice-to-text function does not work properly. Please disable the battery-saving mode, or parts of that mode. The voice-to-text function should work again.

PandraRose

Jun 7, 2017
Visit site
Since June 5th, my speech to text has stopped working all together. It does not work in any app. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Android 7.0 installed. When I press the microphone, it appears like it is getting ready but the microphone never initializes. The ding that normally sounds to let me know I can start to speak never sounds. I have been looking all day on line for help and answers but nothing has worked so far.

I have dyslexia so I depend on this feature a majority of the time.

toriabee318

Nov 3, 2017
Visit site
I just found that if you go to settings>Language and input>physical keyboard you can reset the keyboard setting which, for me, brought back my microphone option and it works again.

David Wilkins1

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
voice to type works good on Google but it does not work on messaging I've got Messenger as default.

and no it is not a Galaxy 4 it is a LG stylus 2

Last edited by a moderator:

garydee

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Since June 5th, my speech to text has stopped working all together. It does not work in any app. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge with Android 7.0 installed. When I press the microphone, it appears like it is getting ready but the microphone never initializes. The ding that normally sounds to let me know I can start to speak never sounds. I have been looking all day on line for help and answers but nothing has worked so far.

I have dyslexia so I depend on this feature a majority of the time.

SOLUTION May 2018 - (for mine) - My Samsung Note 4 just started doing the same thing after a bunch of updates around May 25th 2018. Regardless of keyboard (Gboard or the Samsung keyboard) voice typing would grab maybe three words and just hang there - like it was still listening but would not input. The "OK Google" did the same thing. My solution was to turn off "Voice Match".

Settings --> Language and input --> Google Voice Typing --> Voice Match --> at this screen, turn everything off.

NOW - I can use the voice type easily through the keyboard and it works like a dream.

BUT - the "OK" google will bring up the screen for the "Google assistant with voice match" - if you "I agree" it turns this back on and it will reset those settings (that you changed above) and voice typing through the keyboard will not work again.

This last set of app updates has really screwed up my old phone - the Bluetooth is totally scrambled now, but that's another issue!

I hope this helps and kcul doog!

GaryDee

Albert Michaels

May 5, 2019
Visit site
I am completely disgusted with Google and their partners, in this case OnePlus. In earlier versions of Android, and I mean going back years from this point, the OK Google functionality would allow me to access both old and new SMS text messages, formulate replies and send them, and allow me to create brand new text messages. Recently with this phone I noticed that the only thing the ok Google SMS commands would do, is allow me to read new messages. It would not allow me to read my old messages. That alone was infuriating, as now we are farther into the future and Google has reduced the functionality of this feature. it gets worse. My phone has gone from that limited capability to now not working at all. When I have new text messages and I say OK Google check my messages, it tells me there are not any new messages. At this point all I can say it is further proof that the motto and corporate America is to give the least and charged the most. Disgusting. by the way, all my settings are correct in the phone has been reset several times so it's not a question of user error.

oceanboy777

Feb 5, 2020
Visit site
OK...I'm totally pulling my hair out and have done all the things suggested. (I think? HA)

Galaxy S7

My Voice to text mic is there and when I push it, it pops up for 1 second waiting for me to say something and then crashes. This happens both on my native android text app and also Google voice. I'm also using Swift for my keyboard and have switched between it and Samsung stock one. I have reset my network connections thinking it was that. I am on WIFI and have also tried it on cell which doesn't work either. Ive clears cashe setting all over the place and nothing seems to work. My Google Search Assistant works perfect so I know shes hearing me and spitting out the words. It just wont work for texting. I do A LOT of texting for my business and this is killing me!!!

BTW..I also would love to know how to change the format under settings. When I look at it. all the icons are grouped together instead of being in a long list

First Photo is what it looks like and second photo is the format I prefer

THANKS in advance for any help or suggestions

NEW INFORMATION: I got it to work but its not how it used to be. Here's a post I put on Swiftkey...

Hello

After my microphone quit working I spent three hours messing around you finally got it somewhat back. Seems that Google Voice Typing was toggled on and interfering with SwiftKey. After I turned that off it seems to work but now I have another problem. Now I'm seeing this screen (See attached) that I've never seen before that has to do with Google and it's giving me suggestions but it's causing another issue. It's creating one more step before I can send a text and it also doesn't listen as long befor it quit recording.so I find myself having to erase the text and say it over again. Do you know if this has anything to do with SwiftKey or with Google

Thank you

Steven`

Swiftkey 001.jpgSwiftkey 002.jpg

Samsun Galaxy S7 Setting screenshot.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S7 Prefered format.jpg

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Just to be clear -- you're saying that the screenshot that gives you the two possible choices for your text dictation is what you want to see? (When people post multiple screenshots in a post, sometimes the order isn't what they expected, so I want to make sure the "second screenshot" you mentioned is in fact the one that's displayed as second.)

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I have S9+ and recently had failed voice to text dictation; also sound recorder worked but was at 10% volume and raspy when played back; and my phone mic did not work, all calls had to be blue tooth or speakerphone. it is a hardware issue. I have a possible fix if you are still experiencing probs!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have S9+ and recently had failed voice to text dictation; also sound recorder worked but was at 10% volume and raspy when played back; and my phone mic did not work, all calls had to be blue tooth or speakerphone. it is a hardware issue. I have a possible fix if you are still experiencing probs!
Hi, any advice is appreciated .

right to carry

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
This is going to sound like trolling but I swear I did it and it cured the problem instantly. I am now going to keep my phone and send back ATT replacement phone that is currently on the way to my house. I read on Samsung website to remove any devices physically connected to the S9 thru the stereo 1/8" mini receptor. I had nothing attached and cannot even insert a miniplug bc my case is too fat. BUT, I removed the case and inserted the male end of a stereo mini into my phone and removed it. I did this two more times. My phone now works 100%. Been 24 hours and no problems. Phone works, sound recorder is clear and voice to text is back in action. I have no real explanation but it worked and cannot hurt to try it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante