New to android, a bit baffled!

Stubbo

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

Moved over from blackberry to the S4 so everything is a bit new to me, including the need to be near a charger more often (solved with a charging pod/2nd battery)

Couple of questions..

I have the GT-i9505, is there any simple (very simple) step by step for rooting/custom roms, I have unfortunately upgraded to 4.3 so I have this knox stuff which I don't understand much about, the confusing stuff I've read so far seems to be geared more towards 4.2??

Not too bothered about warranty, I'm pretty certain here in Europe rooting/custom roms don't invalidate warranty unless Samsung can prove the custom rom caused the failure

I'm more interested in removing the bloat that I'm forced to update even though i'll never use it (seriously its 2013, quit forcing customers to use what you deem they should be using Samsung, if I want it i'll go and install it myself) having 8gb free on a 16gb phone from factory is just plain...well its ridiculous!

Also another thing that is really confusing me, how the buggery do I make a shortcut on my homescreen that opens in chrome and not the stock browser??

Hopefully i'll get to grips with android soon, i'll be here to stay anyway! :)

any other useful tips/apps/shortcuts most welcome

Cheers

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi, welcome aboard :)

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-rooting-roms-hacks/272893-how-root-galaxy-s4.html
Samsung Galaxy S4 Rooting, ROMs & Hacks - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

These are two good threads to start with regarding the rooting/ROMs, etc. You may want to consider a Google Play edition ROM, as I believe that eliminates most of the bloatware and knox issues, etc, however it's closer to stock Android than TouchWiz, so it could be pretty different and is worth reading some of the comparisons.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I see NothingIsTrue already got some pretty good info for you so all I can say now is; welcome to this great forums! 👍😃

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995