4.3 To Update or Not to Update?

asdfasdfgasdfadfs

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I am running a rooted 4.2 and it is perfect, my battery life is amazing, and all is well. I know that the latest update 4.3 has some enhancements (such as Knox, and the auto-correct keyboard), but I really don't care to much about these. My questions are as follow:

1. I will not get the update notification, nor am I able to check for the update while I am rooted, is that correct?

2. If there is a subsequent update to say 4.4 in a few month, will I be able to jump from 4.2 to 4.4, or will I have to have 4.3 first before seeing the update to 4.4 on my phone (if I unroot at that time and check for the 4.4 update)?

3. will the update to 4.3 be available OTA at any time, or is it only out there for a limited time. i.e. if say 6 month from now, 4.4 isn't out yet, and I wanted to update to the 4.3 will I be able to pull it from OTA by checking for it, or will I have to look for a link and Download it?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am running a rooted 4.2 and it is perfect, my battery life is amazing, and all is well. I know that the latest update 4.3 has some enhancements (such as Knox, and the auto-correct keyboard), but I really don't care to much about these. My questions are as follow:

1. I will not get the update notification, nor am I able to check for the update while I am rooted, is that correct?

2. If there is a subsequent update to say 4.4 in a few month, will I be able to jump from 4.2 to 4.4, or will I have to have 4.3 first before seeing the update to 4.4 on my phone (if I unroot at that time and check for the 4.4 update)?

3. will the update to 4.3 be available OTA at any time, or is it only out there for a limited time. i.e. if say 6 month from now, 4.4 isn't out yet, and I wanted to update to the 4.3 will I be able to pull it from OTA by checking for it, or will I have to look for a link and Download it?
1. If you are on a custom ROM it will not let you update. It will say your phone has been modified and can no longer take OTAs. If you are only rooted and still on stock TouchWiz, you might be able to update but it could break the root.
2. It will update to the latest version that is available :)
3. It will be available until there is a 4.4 update. if there even is one...

ajl

May 22, 2013
Visit site
You can technically download it at any time via a custom ROM. I don't see enough reason to update, since you're risking loss of root. But, if you would like to be able to say you have some of the latest software, go for it. Just don't be surprised if anything happens.

asdfasdfgasdfadfs

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
1. If you are on a custom ROM it will not let you update. It will say your phone has been modified and can no longer take OTAs. If you are only rooted and still on stock TouchWiz, you might be able to update but it could break the root.
2. It will update to the latest version that is available :)
3. It will be available until there is a 4.4 update. if there even is one...

How can I tell if I have a Custom ROM or just a plain Root?

I am still using TouchWiz as the launcher and such, but I do have apps like SuperSU, Voodoo OTA rootkepper, and busybox.

This shows the steps I followed to Root my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hXUJ-u-cw

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
How can I tell if I have a Custom ROM or just a plain Root?

I am still using TouchWiz as the launcher and such, but I do have apps like SuperSU, Voodoo OTA rootkepper, and busybox.

This shows the steps I followed to Root my phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hXUJ-u-cw

Yeah you are just rooted. Custom ROM replaces TouchWiz. Unless of course you're on a TW ROM XD

Posted via Android Central App

skeamznz

May 29, 2013
Visit site

Personally I think its better to stay on 4.2 to keep away from the Knox bootloaders. You can still install 4.3 and even now 4.4 ROMs. But once on the new bootloaders you will trigger the Knox efuse if you flash anything custom.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463