Honestly--is the phone bulky with a case?

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus right now and with a case, its fairly bulky. I know the S4 is thinner to begin with, but its also larger. With a case, I have to imagine its slightly brickish. Now this doesn't bother me most of the time, but I do wish that it was easier to tote around and to hold in the hand--like the Moto X.

I just feel like for me, the S4 has all the attributes I look for in a phone: expandable storage, swappable batteries, beautiful screen, fast processor/ram...

How is ROM support on VZ?

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
The bulkiness depends on the case. An Otterbox, yeah, that's gonna add some heft. When I got the S4, I was totally in love with its slenderness and light weight, and even the Commuter was more than I wanted.

But I got more and more nervous about accidents (to which I am fairly prone) and researched cases. I ended up going to a Verizon-owned store and getting what a lot of their employees were wearing, a combination case and holster. The case is very form-fitting, covering the sides and back of the phone (not the ends). It's certainly bulkier than the naked phone, but it's far from massive, yet feels secure. It has a lip on the front so that if you set (or drop) the phone on its screen, the screen won't contact the table or floor. As a bonus, the case has a kickstand on the back, usable in either portrait or landscape position. I wasn't looking for a holster, but this is a nice, simple one that the phone slips into and out of easily. Of course, you can just stick the phone plus case in your pocket, bag, or purse if you want, and ignore the holster.

RickzSII

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Does add some bulk but I find it a lot easier to handle the phone

When I use my S4 without the case Its hard to use and.hold due to it being so slim

Posted via Android Central App

pre1561

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Check out Balastic Cases for your phone. Mine is not as bulky as an Otterbox for my Note 3.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

josearmz10789

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I use the otter box commuter case, lots of protection and easy to remove if not needed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Commuter case is good as it's not that bulky. I prefer the Spigen Slim Armor as it it's very nice looking and adds the protection I need.

Sent from my N9500 using AC Forums mobile app

Kdroid

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I use the UAG case and it actually makes the phone feel sturdier in the hand and honestly don't notice a difference in weight ...I actually prefer a more solid feel then the stock plastic feel. It's a great case that does not add that massive bulk feel.

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Depends on the case. When I first got my s4 I was using the S view case which added very little weight. Now I'm using the otterbox commuter case. It makes the phone heavier but I'm used to the weight now.

Posted via my Galaxy s4

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As mentioned above, it really depends on the case you want to use. There's. Any out there, take a look online and read the reviews. See what others have to say about the case adding bulk or weight to the device.

In general, bulkiness is going to depend on how much protection you want in the case. More protection usually means more bulk.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

JGouse0498

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Started with an Otterbox Defender but could not stand the significant bulkiness.

Switched over to the official Samsung Protective Cover+ case. Very form fitting and did a great job protecting the phone when it slipped out from between my ear and shoulder (was trying to talk on phone and manage several grocery bags...NOT a great idea). Fell about 4.5 feet to the concrete sidewalk. No damage to phone, and only a small scuff on case.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

AlphaVictor87

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Incipio Frequency Galaxy S4 case | Android Central

I use this on my S4 and it's perfect. Adds hardly any size to those phone and gives you a nice grip as well as the lip on the front of the phone so you can put it face down.

Very durable as well as protective. I've dropped mine a few times to the point where i thought my phone was just smashed so i can tell you the protection is very good.

Also on some of the "rubber" cases i've had in the past always tend to have some looseness to then since you have to stretch it to put the phone in the case, but this is very form fitting with no wiggle room.\

Only thing i don't like is i wish there were holes for the volume and power buttons. I used mine caseless for the first 2 months and love that i could feel the click of those buttons, with this case it's more of a dull mush. The buttons still work very well though, no loss of functionality.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Any phones will get a bit bulky if you put a case but it's really important if you want to protect your device :)

Exactly it's not a fashion statement! You want to have a slim phone with no protection don't whine when you drop it, when you could have spent 40 bucks on a case that added some bulk