Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Default Re: Touchwiz wont stay as default launcher!

I'm glad that worked for you. It hadn't worked for me when I tried it before (I thought it had, then it came back like 5-10 minutes later). Even if this solution works, you presumptively would have to do it every time you restart the phone.

Again, I'll retry it with the latest build...

Actually, I retried this and don't have the ability to force stop. That is ghosted out as an option. Do you have to be rooted to do that?

Again, the only people that I've seen who have defeated this keeping the update are those who rooted their phone and deleted the TouchWiz easy altogether. My phone isn't rooted though and my prior rooting attempts failed.

Hey all! Happiest Holidays...
    Latest Google search update 3.1.8... 827 is golden. Works without TouchWiz screen showing up. Yes! Peace

Posted via Android Central App
    Breathe... you'll feel better!
    GalaxyNote3/S4;RazrHD/Maxx;Droid3/2;Z6c/tv;E815;V710;V60s/i;EricssonT39m;StarTac7868/7860;MicroTacElite;UltraClassic II

Hi iiari

Not sure why you cannot 'force stop' TouchWiz easy home, though. And my phone is not rooted version, still intact and as original as it was since I got it

This is how it looks like on my phone once I forced stop it. Strangely, it does not get into "Disabled" category on Application Manager. Perhaps compare your versions with what I have just to see if they are any different?

TouchWiz easy home version 1.0
    TouchWiz Home version 4.3-I9505XXUEMJ5

Google Search version 2.6.7.721924.arm

My Google Search has been enabled and did a couple of reboots with no sign of problem re-occurring which make me a happy person! I intend to proceed with the update on Google Seach and see how it goes.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by iiari View Post
    Actually, I retried this and don't have the ability to force stop. That is ghosted out as an option. Do you have to be rooted to do that?

Again, the only people that I've seen who have defeated this keeping the update are those who rooted their phone and deleted the TouchWiz easy altogether. My phone isn't rooted though and my prior rooting attempts failed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4: Touchwiz won't stay as default launcher!-screenshot_2013-12-12-15-30-36.png  

Quote Originally Posted by Hghlndr View Post
    Hey all! Happiest Holidays...
    Latest Google search update 3.1.8... 827 is golden. Works without TouchWiz screen showing up. Yes! Peace

I just updated that and it isn't working for me . Still asking me to select which TouchWiz version after every single home press out of Google search...

Quote Originally Posted by henrynks View Post
    Hi iiari
    Not sure why you cannot 'force stop' TouchWiz easy home, though. And my phone is not rooted version, still intact and as original as it was since I got it

This is how it looks like on my phone once I forced stop it. Strangely, it does not get into "Disabled" category on Application Manager. Perhaps compare your versions with what I have just to see if they are any different?
    I don't know why either. I'll compare the versions and see if anything is different. Which carrier do you have? I have Sprint. I've sometimes been told that different carriers will enable or disable certain features, and this might be one of them. Are there any apps that anyone knows of that can force an app to stop?

Lokesh, thanks, this worked for me. I completely un-installed Google Search updates because I couldn't sort out how to choose just the last one. Anyway, I'm left with the original Google search. Then when I pressed the home button, it asked that annoying question one last time and has shut-up forever.
    Yay!

I'm in Singapore, using SingTel as carrier. Not sure about this although I heard too different carriers offers different apps.

I just updated that and it isn't working for me . Still asking me to select which TouchWiz version after every single home press out of Google search...

I don't know why either. I'll compare the versions and see if anything is different. Which carrier do you have? I have Sprint. I've sometimes been told that different carriers will enable or disable certain features, and this might be one of them. Are there any apps that anyone knows of that can force an app to stop?

Global Posts
    6,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Hello.
    I'm also with Sprint and don't have that problem. Do you have the option to Force Stop the app as in my screenshot?
    If you do try to force stop it see if that works.
    Galaxy S4: Touchwiz won't stay as default launcher!-1386961459927.jpg

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Global Posts
    6,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

After I posted the screenshot I've noticed another post from you that answers my question. 😕

Ok, have you done a factory reset to see if that makes the Force Stop option available again?

If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

I'm on AT&T and have tried all of the above, and still have the annoying problem. I've done a soft reset/clearing ram and cache, forced stop on Touch Wiz Easy but the problem returns. I've been avoiding a full factory reset since reinstalling everything does not appeal to me. Had anyone on AT&T been able to resolve this completely for more than 2-3 days?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

Any luck?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Global Posts
    6,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

For those of you with Sprint, I woke up today to a new update.
    Hopefully it'll fix your problems.
    Galaxy S4: Touchwiz won't stay as default launcher!-1387201159862.jpg

Deleting the latest update to Google search solved the problem. Thanks for posting it

Quote Originally Posted by STARGATE View Post
    For those of you with Sprint, I woke up today to a new update.
    Hopefully it'll fix your problems. !
    Just downloaded it this morning and installed the Google Search update to find no change .

Anyone make any progress with this? I'm wondering if I should ask Sprint to exchange my phone... Thanks!

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I pulled my battery out for a minute to do a complete power down after installing latest update and now it works for me. I'm on Verizon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

Sadly, that approach didn't work for me either . And what impact should removing the battery have on anything?

Global Posts
    6,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Just downloaded it this morning and installed the Google Search update to find no change .

Anyone make any progress with this? I'm wondering if I should ask Sprint to exchange my phone... Thanks!
    That sucks!

My phone and the people I know that have a GS4 don't have that problem, so it's not widespread on all the phones.

And that's why, I don't think Sprint will do anything, unfortunately.
    But you can try, you got nothing to loose!

Just go to your apps and uninstall google search, that way you can can use other search engines to do your searches. It's google search updates thats causing the Touchwiz error. You don't need google search anyway. Use Firefox for searching.

I'm on Verizon and the latest Samsung upgrade did the trick. Finally no more annoying message with Google search! Hope the upgrade helps others here.

Global Posts
    6,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Amyswo View Post
    I'm on Verizon and the latest Samsung upgrade did the trick. Finally no more annoying message with Google search! Hope the upgrade helps others here.
    I'm with Sprint and I didn't have this problem *Knocks on wood*
    But I know a couple of guys with Sprint that had this problem and the latest MK2 update fixed it and a WiFi problem too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokesh Sastri View Post
    Guys, I MIGHT HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION.

Uninstall the latest search for Google Search (11/15/2013) - It is very unstable. When you hit the Google search bar and then the home button on some your Android devices, it will prompt you for the zillionth time "continue using action as..." where you'll have to select a launcher. I just uninstalled the latest update and it fixed it for me (at least for the time being). No more prompts - Touchwiz is stored as default launcher.
    Thanks Lokesh this fixed my issue of the annoying request to select which launcher you to use.

Hi, I just recently updated Samsung hub and that is what started this whole mess with me. I uninstalled this update and now it works fine...hope this helps

I don't think I ever updated Samsung hub (it fact, it prompts me to update it) but forcing it to stop didn't change anything for me. This only reinforces my suspicion that some Samsung app is probably interfering with the Google Search update in some way and causing this. I've basically otherwise have given up and just biding my time with the "old" Google search until some point in the future when I update phones later this year or early next.

Any other ideas are welcome!

It is does seem to be google search that is causing the problem. Switching of History seems to cure the problem too. Thanks for the tip, I have been putting up with this problem for months.

Quote Originally Posted by Lokesh Sastri View Post
    Guys, I MIGHT HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION.

Uninstall the latest search for Google Search (11/15/2013) - It is very unstable. When you hit the Google search bar and then the home button on some your Android devices, it will prompt you for the zillionth time "continue using action as..." where you'll have to select a launcher. I just uninstalled the latest update and it fixed it for me (at least for the time being). No more prompts - Touchwiz is stored as default launcher.
    It worked for me. Thanks a lot. It was driving me crazy. ..best regards

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast