Galaxy S4: Touchwiz won't stay as default launcher!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Touchwiz wont stay as default launcher!

For those of you with Sprint, I woke up today to a new update.
Hopefully it'll fix your problems.
1387201159862.jpg

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

For those of you with Sprint, I woke up today to a new update.
Hopefully it'll fix your problems. !

Just downloaded it this morning and installed the Google Search update to find no change :(.

Anyone make any progress with this? I'm wondering if I should ask Sprint to exchange my phone... Thanks!

Plow13

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site

I pulled my battery out for a minute to do a complete power down after installing latest update and now it works for me. I'm on Verizon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AC Forums mobile app

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

Sadly, that approach didn't work for me either :(. And what impact should removing the battery have on anything?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Just downloaded it this morning and installed the Google Search update to find no change :(.

Anyone make any progress with this? I'm wondering if I should ask Sprint to exchange my phone... Thanks!

That sucks!

My phone and the people I know that have a GS4 don't have that problem, so it's not widespread on all the phones.

And that's why, I don't think Sprint will do anything, unfortunately.
But you can try, you got nothing to loose!

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site

Just go to your apps and uninstall google search, that way you can can use other search engines to do your searches. It's google search updates thats causing the Touchwiz error. You don't need google search anyway. Use Firefox for searching.

Amyswo

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and the latest Samsung upgrade did the trick. Finally no more annoying message with Google search! Hope the upgrade helps others here.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I'm on Verizon and the latest Samsung upgrade did the trick. Finally no more annoying message with Google search! Hope the upgrade helps others here.

I'm with Sprint and I didn't have this problem *Knocks on wood*
But I know a couple of guys with Sprint that had this problem and the latest MK2 update fixed it and a WiFi problem too.

Sylv1n

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site

Guys, I MIGHT HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION.

Uninstall the latest search for Google Search (11/15/2013) - It is very unstable. When you hit the Google search bar and then the home button on some your Android devices, it will prompt you for the zillionth time "continue using action as..." where you'll have to select a launcher. I just uninstalled the latest update and it fixed it for me (at least for the time being). No more prompts - Touchwiz is stored as default launcher.

Thanks Lokesh this fixed my issue of the annoying request to select which launcher you to use.

gtjones7178

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site

Hi, I just recently updated Samsung hub and that is what started this whole mess with me. I uninstalled this update and now it works fine...hope this helps

iiari

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

I don't think I ever updated Samsung hub (it fact, it prompts me to update it) but forcing it to stop didn't change anything for me. This only reinforces my suspicion that some Samsung app is probably interfering with the Google Search update in some way and causing this. I've basically otherwise have given up and just biding my time with the "old" Google search until some point in the future when I update phones later this year or early next.

Any other ideas are welcome!

Triboman

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

It is does seem to be google search that is causing the problem. Switching of History seems to cure the problem too. Thanks for the tip, I have been putting up with this problem for months.

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site

Guys, I MIGHT HAVE FOUND THE SOLUTION.

Uninstall the latest search for Google Search (11/15/2013) - It is very unstable. When you hit the Google search bar and then the home button on some your Android devices, it will prompt you for the zillionth time "continue using action as..." where you'll have to select a launcher. I just uninstalled the latest update and it fixed it for me (at least for the time being). No more prompts - Touchwiz is stored as default launcher.

It worked for me. Thanks a lot. It was driving me crazy. ..best regards

Posted via Android Central App

bchildress

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Touchwiz won't stay as default launcher!

So I had this problem even after KitKat update (t-mobile Note 3). I really didn't want to keep uninstalling Google Search updates for rest of life of phone and saw someone's comment about Subway app. I went to the settings page for default applications - home and saw that there was an app called "Hotmail Connect" listed with all my launchers (Touchwiz, knox, aviate, smart launcher) and this Hotmail Connect did not appear when the prompt for setting the default launcher appeared but all the other launchers did. So I uninstalled "Hotmail Connect" and now am on latest Google Search without issue. Set Aviate as my default and it has stayed set even after reboot and using other launchers "just once". Not sure if it matters but I did the uninstall updates on Google search prior to this and then went immediately to latest version. That was done before the "Hotmail Connect" removal as I was hoping the Google search was the trick. so not sure when this fix would have worked earlier but it works for me now. - Much happier with Note 3 now!

Bob:cool:

zseetter

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

Hi All,

I have N8010 purchased in Hungary (JZ054K.N8010XXUCMK2), 3 months ago, but only 3 days with this issue... I've no idea how this issue could come up. There wasn't any Google Play update since weeks (auto update swd. off) I rooted the tab yesterday, maybe this way I can solve the problem somehow, but it didn't...

Lokesh wrote the good solution for the general issue, when the launcher chooser appears when anytime I touch the home button on an up to date version google search screen. So it is solved after I downgrade the search app, but there is an other way to see the launcher chooser window. If I restart the tab, everything loaded, and (!) after it is connected to wifi, the issue come again once after each restart and after all the system loaded! If I made my choise (apex launcher) and hit always, and confirm the 2nd info window, the issue do not show up till the next restart.

FYI: google search engine permanently stopped, all, unused service also permanently stopped. The touchwiz 4.1.2. shadowed from stop.

Please If somebody found the solution, post it for us!

bchildress

Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

Assuming that the settings info is similar to the Note 3, I would go to Settings, General, Default applications, Home, and look to see if you have any unexpected home launchers in the list - if so, uninstall them. That's where I found hotmail connect , and that fixed my problem.

jsice9

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

Finally found a solution! "Forced stop and Disabled TouchWiz Easy Home killed the problem permanently!" Yippie!

For those that having similar annoying problem as mine, please try this. I have also re-enabled Google Search ver 2.xx (have not try to update to the latest yet) and the problem has not resurfaced.

PS: My problem may differ from others that has successfully resolved by removing Google Search updates and revert back the version to 2.xx. My issue was more of both TouchWiz Home and TouchWiz easy Home cannot co-existed (and running). One had to be disabled i.e. TouchWiz easy Home

Refer/See my previous posting with screen shots dated 11-28-2013, 09:31 AM.

Cheers!

How did you disabled touchwiz easy?

Posted via Android Central App