Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4: Short press on home button opens task manager

Hi all,

I keep having this issue with my Galaxy S4 and I can't find any info on this: Sometimes short button presses on my the Home button open the task manager rather than going to the home screen. This usually happens when I have a lot of app "open" (a long list of apps in the task manager). Long button presses will also open the task manager. I've tried disabling the S-Voice home button shortcut but that has not helped.

What I am noticing is that when this happens, there is a pause between me short pressing the home button and the phone doing anything. What I mean is when I press the home button and the phone takes a second or two without doing anything, the task manager opens. Otherwise, the phone goes to the home screen right away. This is with S-Voice shortcut disabled.

Has anyone else seem this issue? Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-02-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Thanked by:
    KevSlider likes this.

Default Re: Short press on home button opens task manager

Hey,

Ive been having the problem and it seems like its getting worse. Its seems like now i can't even press the home button without task manager opening
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi,

I am glad to see that I am not the only one. It is a little troubling that I can't find anything related to this on the internet.

This started happening on my phone yesterday as well. It is really annoying and I have not found a way to change the behavior back to what it was.

I just powered down my phone and turned it on again. It seems to have resolved the issue for me.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I think it resolves it for a little while but then it comes back. Try opening a bunch of apps so the memory and cpu usage goes up and see if it comes back again?

This was the only time this happened for me and I have not been able to reproduce this issue. I'll report back if it occurs again.

Happens to me when I have a bunch of apps open. Restart out clearing ram works it out

Posted via Android Central App
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus MD View Post
    Happens to me when I have a bunch of apps open. Restart out clearing ram works it out

Restarting the phone seems to fix it for me too but that's not really a fix since it comes back as soon as one too many apps are started. I don't think that I should be forced to restart my phone all the time to get around this.

I too am experiencing this problem and is pretty much rendering my home button useless. I have cleared RAM and closed apps...might appear to be working, but after checking a text or email the problem returns. Something is sucking up a lot of RAM all of a sudden and causing this problem. Very annoying!

Getting this same problem also. It makes using the phone incredibly bad when I can't exit an app quickly

Quote Originally Posted by GodsOnGlue View Post
    Getting this same problem also. It makes using the phone incredibly bad when I can't exit an app quickly
    Hopefully you didn't mean that literally. Android newbies reading this--pressing the Home button, even when it is working correctly, doesn't EXIT an app at all. It simply swaps to the launcher leaving the app running in the background. For most apps, you must use the Back button until the app is exited or use an exit menu option if the app has one.
    msndrstood likes this.

Hi Everyone! I am also having the same issue for a while now and it is really starting to irritate me as my device goes into a small meltdown. Has anyone been able to resolve this yet?

My wife's S4 is having this exact same issue. We also believe it's due to the number of apps/processes that run after a while. She also had a few home screen alternatives that were running in the background. We uninstalled those and it seemed to fix this problem until a few days later when it re-emerged.

We might have fixed this by limiting the number of background processes to 4 (instead of "standard" which appears to be "millions" hah). To do this you have to enable developer mode first.

How to Limit Background Processes (Must enable developer mode first)
    1. Settings
    2. About Device
    3. Long Press "Build Number"
    4. The phone will prompt you to tap "Build Number" 3-4 times.
    5. Then click back and you'll see a new option called "Developer Options".
    6. Choose "Limit Background Processes" (all the way at the bottom)
    7. Pick "4 processes at most"

Again, we JUST did this so time will tell if this actually fixes it or not. Hope this helps.

Thanked by:
    KevSlider likes this.

I've had this problem for a while now. Seems to have started with the 4.3 update. Hopefully limiting the background processes works. Thanks!

I got so annoyed by this problem I installed home2 app and set a single press to take me back to nova launcher. I haven't had a problem since.

It's a shame I need an app make my "home" button take me to my home screen.

Samsung Galaxy S3. Exact same problem for me. Short press on home button pulls up task manager about 50% of the time after update to 4.3.

I just started having this problem after Verizon's forced update. It seems to happen only with apps I load for the first time... I hit the home button and the task manager pops up.. But never again unless I load another new app. Completely annoying... I mean how could any beta tester or QA department have missed this one? It only makes me believe Google doesn't have any QA process or testing..

Nothing annoys me more than forced updates. I mean who gives a sh*t that you have to retrain your mind and all your muscle memory functions of the touch screen phone you've been using for 2 years now. Go f*ck yourself Google and Verizon on your forced updates.. Really..

Samsung Galaxy S3. My wife updated her phone from 4.1 to 4.3 yesterday. Today hers does the same thing as well. Short press on home button opens task manager. She had only one program running so it seems to be able to do it even when not multiple programs are open.

Hey guys I've been having the same problem and have checked this thread very often. And im happy to say that I no longer had the problem. Seriously, all I did was change my background. I had the live windmill thing and I changed it to a solid picture and the home button is normal again! I have no explaination for this but it worked for me

I've had this problem with two different S4s (I dropped my first one in late December and received a brand new phone through SquareTrade the next business day). When I got the new phone I was relieved the problem was gone but it just started up on the new phone yesterday afternoon. It's now happening nearly every time I click the Home button no matter how fast I try to click it. I've also noticed the long pause between the time I click the button and the task manager finally appears. Why this issue took 6 weeks to manifest on the new phone, I have no clue. I haven't installed anything new in the past few days so it shouldn't be a third party app that is causing the problem. I have a static wallpaper (it's a picture I took) and it happens even right after I clear the RAM. I just tried the developer fix above and so far, so good. I'll have to wait and see if it's a permanent fix and whether limiting the phone to 4 background processes causes any other issues.

I have a Verizon S3, and I had this problem after the 4.3 update.
    I managed to find a fix for it.
    Boot into recovery mode and select Clear Cache Partition. And then boot normally. The problem is gone and it's running smoother, and no data or accounts or anything is lost

I did this cache clear and it only worked for a short time before going back to this problem. Even if I close all the programs when the task manager appears, it still pops up even if I only have one app running.

I recently began using the Samsung Keyboard that comes on the phone again after using the downloaded Google keyboard. I noticed that when I switched back to the Samsung keyboard, is when I started having the home button issue. I switched back to the Google keyboard and haven't had the problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by bbond131 View Post
    I recently began using the Samsung Keyboard that comes on the phone again after using the downloaded Google keyboard. I noticed that when I switched back to the Samsung keyboard, is when I started having the home button issue. I switched back to the Google keyboard and haven't had the problem since.
    Thank you for your insight. I just switched my default keyboard to Swype. It was previously Samsung's version of Swype. I then opened more than 20 different apps. No more of the above mentioned problem! I too began experiencing this issue after Verizon's forced update to 4.3, among others. Now it's just one more in a long list of frustrations with Verizon and Samsung. My next phone, I may go back to ios ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast