Galaxy S4: Android OS Battery Drain

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I charged my Galaxy S4 last night up to 100%. Exactly 10 hours and 5 minutes later my battery is at 40%.

If you can't see the picture, here's the apps that drain my batery:

Android OS - 72%
gpsd - 16% (I have GPS turned off, so I don't know what this is here)
Screen - 4%

As you can see, Screen being at 4%, I haven't used my phone at all, because I've been sleeping during the entire 10 hours ( I charged my phone and went to sleep). Basically, Android OS is draining almost all the battery by itself (72%, it's not even funny.

Can anybody help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Android OS Battery Drain

I charged my Galaxy S4 last night up to 100%. Exactly 10 hours and 5 minutes later my battery is at 40%.

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/3669/p2ez.png

If you can't see the picture, here's the apps that drain my batery:

Android OS - 72%
gpsd - 16% (I have GPS turned off, so I don't know what this is here)
Screen - 4%

As you can see, Screen being at 4%, I haven't used my phone at all, because I've been sleeping during the entire 10 hours ( I charged my phone and went to sleep). Basically, Android OS is draining almost all the battery by itself (72%, it's not even funny.

Can anybody help me?
When the device is idle like that, it is going to normally show Android as draining your device.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, Welcome to the forums. :)

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I understand that. What I don't get is why the battery has come down to 40% without even using my phone. My aunt has a Galaxy S4 and she uses her phone often, and she showed me her phone was at 59% after 13 hours since last charge. Mine is at 40% without even using it, that just doesn't make sense. The battery doesn't even last a whole day, no matter whether I use my phone or not.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

When the device is idle like that, it is going to normally show Android as draining your device.
Yeah, but 6% battery loss per hour while idle, with over 4% per hour of it being from "Android OS," seems excessive. I see much closer to 2% battery drain per hour and I have lots of stuff turned on.

The OP will have to download some better battery debugging apps (I use GSam Battery Monitor and Wakelock Detector) to figure out what's really going on. A quick reboot might be worth it as well.

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I was thinking of doing a Factory Data Reset. The thing is I don't wanna have to download everything all over again but I just might have to do that. I'm gonna try that next and charge my phone and post again all the percentages and show you guys so you can tell me whether you think there's an improvement or if you think there's still a problem.

If it asks me to update the OS, should I?

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

By the way, thanks. I will download those apps and see if they can help. But first I'm gonna do a factory reset and see if things improve at all.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I understand that. What I don't get is why the battery has come down to 40% without even using my phone. My aunt has a Galaxy S4 and she uses her phone often, and she showed me her phone was at 59% after 13 hours since last charge. Mine is at 40% without even using it, that just doesn't make sense. The battery doesn't even last a whole day, no matter whether I use my phone or not.

Is your aunt in edge like you for data? Edge is slow and anything using it.. Even a little sync.... Will drain it much more than let's say a stronger signal like 3g.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

No, we're both using 3G.

Update: I did the Factory Data Restart. Re-downloaded some of the apps I had, not all of them. Declined to update some apps that I never use. Had to update Google Services though, because otherwise I can't use YouTube app. It's almost done charging, I will update when I finish testing the battery duration and will post another picture.

I appreciate your responses and your help. Thank you.

Last edited:

dickharper

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

OK so I tested it again. This time after 9 hours 50 minutes my battery is at 49% instead of the previous 40%. The percentages are about the same really, so I'm not gonna post a picture. It's not that big of an improvement as I expected but I guess it's something. I suppose I'll just have to live with it, and get a backup battery.

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

No, we're both using 3G.

I have to agree with Almeuit on this one, why is it showing E for Edge if you are on 3G? Do you have Wifi at home? Try either staying on WIFI or turn off your mobile data and see what results you get

Modeling2014

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Listen. The problem is from an application installed in your phone. Like mine. I have installed Vine. My battery at 98%. After 5 hours I found my phone turned off. If your phone is rooted try to install an application that changes the apps permission. Like what I did.

Posted via Android Central App

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site

Listen. The problem is from an application installed in your phone. Like mine. I have installed Vine. My battery at 98%. After 5 hours I found my phone turned off. If your phone is rooted try to install an application that changes the apps permission. Like what I did.

Posted via Android Central App

I don't agree, if that was the case it would be showing the APP itself under Battery with a percentage it's sucked. Not just Android OS.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I don't agree, if that was the case it would be showing the APP itself under Battery with a percentage it's sucked. Not just Android OS.
You'd think so, but that's not always the case. I had Battery Guru go rogue once and drain my battery in a few hours and it showed up as "Android OS" in the Android battery reporting. GSam gave much different results and let me know what app caused the problems. IMO, the battery usage stats in Android are terrible.

Bachir El Charif

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site

I updated to 4.3 this morning, my battery was 94% after the update, now and after 5 hours my phone beeped the 5% battery low indication. i have a S4 and the android os consumed 61% of my battery (screen 6%), this is very stupid and annoying, i am looking now to downgrade to 4.2.2

Chief G-Hawk

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site

I updated to 4.3 this morning, my battery was 94% after the update, now and after 5 hours my phone beeped the 5% battery low indication. i have a S4 and the android os consumed 61% of my battery (screen 6%), this is very stupid and annoying, i am looking now to downgrade to 4.2.2

I suggest you try doing a soft reset first. First you power off your device, then simply hold the power button + home button + Volume up at the same time, Once you hear the vibrate let go of the power button but continue to hold the home button + volume up until you see the Logo and on the top right corner, it's small but is in Blue, you should be in recovery mode. Use the volume button to navigate and the power button to enter. You should fine the one that says something like delete/clear system cache?

If that doesn't work then do a factor reset. This helped me on my battery life and has been great.

Kvant_hv

Dec 14, 2013
Visit site

There is a bug in google backup service, google backup service acquires wfii connectivity lock and does not release it for hours which prevents device entering deep sleep and as a result drains battery. Fortunately you can disable backup in Settings->Accounts->Backup and Reset-> uncheck 'Backup my data'. This should resolve the issue ... after a full recharge monitor your battery stats - Android OS should NOT be on the top.

Sorry, disabling backup didn't help - encountered the same problem. There is indeed a bug that some OS module that holds a wlan lock but it's not a backup service. I suspect that full charge triggers this flow. Device restart will temporarily fix the issue. I'll post if i will find the causer, sorry for mislead.

After some investigation I've came to a conclusion that the problem is in the wifi manager itself. In normal case this lock should be held no more that 1-2 seconds for the entire battery charge. I've developed an application that will give an automated solution for this problem. http://kvant.store.aptoide.com/app/...lver/5/4571618/Battery Leak Resolver (OS 4.3)

Last edited:

mmse88

May 31, 2012
Visit site

No, we're both using 3G.

Update: I did the Factory Data Restart. Re-downloaded some of the apps I had, not all of them. Declined to update some apps that I never use. Had to update Google Services though, because otherwise I can't use YouTube app. It's almost done charging, I will update when I finish testing the battery duration and will post another picture.

I appreciate your responses and your help. Thank you.

I am on Sony Xperia Z Ultra 4.3. Had a factory reset but still no luck.

r3nzodj

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site

I just hit rock bottom today.. after how many days of battery draining from 'Android OS' and 'GOOGLE PLAY SERVICES'... Now im 6 hours in charging and all I got was 93%.. thats 6 hours!!! Android OS still sucks battery more than the screen. I just dont get it. I hope they fix this soon. Im very happy with the battery life of my Note 3 before this happened. Now it wont even last a whole day with minimal use.

MJW1

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Best thing I ever dowloaded.It solved most of the problems with my battery usage on my Experia Z up to now.Just need to delve deeper to see what else I can Stop or DeInstall.Many Thanks for the information..

Demi9OD

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site

Since this is the #1 hit on Google for Android OS Battery Drain, thought I'd share the solution I found elsewhere. Very simple, just disable Auto Backup (of photos) in Google+.

After sitting in my pocket with basically no use for 8 hours now my phone battery is at 93% instead of 65%, and Android OS is second in battery use to "Phone Idle" instead of being first by a large margin.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084