1rkhachatryan

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm using Samsung's email app and my emails are coming in with the text vertical, not horizontal. This is what I mean:

Instead of coming in like this:

You have received an email

It's coming in like this:

Y
o
u

h
a
v
e

r
e
c
e
i
v
e
d

a
n

e
m
a
i
l

Does anybody know how to fix this?? I would really appreciate it :).

charlibob

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Not really a fix, but I didn't like samsungs email. I downloaded k-9 email from the app store. Works fine.

Posted via Android Central App

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
Never. Very strange. Unless the sender of the email intentionally
w
r
o
t
e
it that way.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself :D
Seriously, though, try a factory reset.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Only thing that came to my mind as soon as I read your post was to check in the Email App Settings Under general Settings the Display option and see if you have the Auto Fit Content selected, I don't know but if you have that then uncheck it and see what happens, if not, go to Application Settings and Clear Cache and Clear Data for the Email App and see if when you set your email accounts back it gets fixed, if not, then I don't really know what else to tell you, good luck.

Hardcase

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I believe it is a function of how the email is formatted. Some emails use a table to format the width of the readable text. I order to fit it in a small screen, the phone squeezes the table down. The result is that the text reformats into a narrow column and looks vertical.

I find this happening on emails that have been forwarded a few times and each forward indents the body of the email a bit more. Usually the emails are some crap a friend or family member thinks is so very funny or witty that it must be forwarded to the world.

You can try to turn your phone sideways or just wait to read it on a computer.

In short, it is the device trying to make a poorly formatted email readable on your small screen.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

cdomeny

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
Interesting; I just went to settings/applications/email/display; saw nothing amiss so I backed-out, and alas, the problematic email was displaying correctly! How's that for deterministic behavior...??!!

Dagwat

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
I have the same issue but only emails from my aunt who uses tds.net . There are no word breaks or spaces, just a continuous vertical line of letters. I've found NOTHING to fix it.

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. You're responding to a 3 year old thread. As you only see the issue from email from one provider then I would assume the problem is with tds.net. Have you or your aunt contacted them?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress