dropbox and google+ wifi uploads max out my connection to ISP

krauster_sk

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Something is really slowing down my desktop's DSL connection, so that browsing times out or is really slow to connect to sites on my desktop computer. I have a DSL2 connection with 15Mb down and 1Mb up. I have called my ISP and they can see that my upload is maxing out when I am experiencing the problem.

The problem is uploads and maybe downloads from my phone. If I turn off the Wifi on my GS4 the ISP instantly sees the upload speed from my modem to the ISP drop down to normal.

I use both dropbox and google+ to store my phone's camera's pictures and videos and it is automatically uploading as soon as it logs into my wifi when I get home.

Questions:
1) is there a good bandwidth monitor to see how fast and how much data, AND which apps are doing the data transfer, --- in real time, while this is happening.
2) is there a way to throttle google+ and dropbox so that they are not using all the bandwidth? If I take a 5min video on the phone and it make a 500M file it can clog up the upload for an hour. I could live with it taking 2 hours if it was running at half the upload speed and using half the upload bandwidth leaving me a little capacity to browse - Yes, I know browsing is downloading but there is an upload component to it that makes it really slow or not even possible when all the capacity is being used by something else.

Anybody else having this problem? What is the solution?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I don't think there is a way to throttle it. It's like most applications.. It uses what's available.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

krauster_sk

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know of a good real time bandwidth meter that shows the upload and download traffic going through the Galaxy S4? I was hoping that some app called Traffic Monitor would do what I am looking for, but it doesn't.

ladyhaly

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know of a good real time bandwidth meter that shows the upload and download traffic going through the Galaxy S4? I was hoping that some app called Traffic Monitor would do what I am looking for, but it doesn't.

I use the application Internet Speed Meter for that. Check it out. It by default shows only download speed but you can go to the application itself and check it to it shows upload speed as well. The app also records how much data you consumed overall with your WiFi connection and Mobile Internet connection. It's a paid app though. I don't remember how much it cost, but I'm pretty sure it didn't cost a lot. I have had the app since I got my HTC One X+ and I do believe it's pretty much worth it.

As for the throttling the uploads thing... I'm afraid I don't know any application that does that. You can set your phone into the settings to issue you a warning with a notification when you have consumed a certain need of data, but that's about it.

What I do with Google+ and Dropbox is I turn off the auto backup of photos. I turn it on later when I am sure I do not need to use my WiFi connection as I cannot afford lag when I play League of Legends.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois