1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Default Very frustrated and confused. Verizon GS4 freezing and resetting.

I got my S4 about two months ago. I had absolutely no problems out of it till about a week ago. It all of a sudden started restarting itself, between 20-25 times a day. Then it started to freeze and would have to do a battery pull. In between all of that, when the phone would actually be functional, I would get a lot of "Unfortunately such and such has stopped working" and mostly would be the keypad, media, and other main OS functions to where I couldn't even restart the phone and would have to do a battery pull.

I went in to Verizon and showed them what was going on and they sent me a replacement phone.....which is doing the same thing again. I went through and deleted pretty much every single app thinking that it might be caused by either a corrupt app or conflicting app with primary stock apps. I have done 3 hard resets thinking that maybe something didn't load properly in my Google account which is causing it. But now its primarily just freezing. I went in to Verizon and they talked to corporate and they said to replace the battery since it was still under warranty.

Though the replacement battery on my replacement device, in the middle of the night, my phone froze yet again. Luckily I woke up minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off for work and noticed that my phone was froze which could have led me to be late for work........again. I have noticed that when the phone freezes while being in asleep mode, there will be the turquoise LED light on solid at the very top.

Can you guys please help me out before I bounce this thing off of a wall?

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Very frustrated and confused. Verizon GS4 freezing and resetting.

Quote Originally Posted by IggyBcool View Post
    I got my S4 about two months ago. I had absolutely no problems out of it till about a week ago. It all of a sudden started restarting itself, between 20-25 times a day. Then it started to freeze and would have to do a battery pull. In between all of that, when the phone would actually be functional, I would get a lot of "Unfortunately such and such has stopped working" and mostly would be the keypad, media, and other main OS functions to where I couldn't even restart the phone and would have to do a battery pull.

I went in to Verizon and showed them what was going on and they sent me a replacement phone.....which is doing the same thing again. I went through and deleted pretty much every single app thinking that it might be caused by either a corrupt app or conflicting app with primary stock apps. I have done 3 hard resets thinking that maybe something didn't load properly in my Google account which is causing it. But now its primarily just freezing. I went in to Verizon and they talked to corporate and they said to replace the battery since it was still under warranty.

Though the replacement battery on my replacement device, in the middle of the night, my phone froze yet again. Luckily I woke up minutes before my alarm was supposed to go off for work and noticed that my phone was froze which could have led me to be late for work........again. I have noticed that when the phone freezes while being in asleep mode, there will be the turquoise LED light on solid at the very top.

Can you guys please help me out before I bounce this thing off of a wall?
    Have you tried rebooting into recovery and clearing cache?
    Here is how: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

I just did it. When wiping the cache, I noticed that it said completed. But when I go to hit reboot, the android guy gives me an "error" at the bottom of him. Have I done something wrong or is this typical?

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

I don't think you did anything wrong. Did it reboot ok?

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

Well I have literally wiped and cleaned out everything and even deleted all apps and it is still bugging out. Freezing and restarting, shooting many "Unfortunately ***** has stopped working." I've talked to Verizon and they have talked to their 3rd party company and they have pretty much exhausted all possibilities, but havent came to any conclusion nor want to send another replacement phone. Is there anything else to try?

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by IggyBcool View Post
    Well I have literally wiped and cleaned out everything and even deleted all apps and it is still bugging out. Freezing and restarting, shooting many "Unfortunately ***** has stopped working." I've talked to Verizon and they have talked to their 3rd party company and they have pretty much exhausted all possibilities, but havent came to any conclusion nor want to send another replacement phone. Is there anything else to try?
    Sorry for the delayed reply. You can try to reflash a stock ROM. This will be like a factory reset.

From a Sprint Moto X on AC forums app.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    70 Global Posts

How do you do that? Do you have a link? I used to be Android savvy a few years ago but then went to Apple for a few years.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Go to samsung updates.com. look for your exact model number and download the file.

Global Posts
    13,824 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Then check this out: [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN
    [Guide][Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN