Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jeffreyh51
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy S4: your internet connection is unstable.

Anyone else get this annoying notification since 4.3 update?

If not then what went wrong? Everything seems alright with my wifi.. still, I get this notification almost every 5min since the update. Even though it's not a big deal 'cause it reconnects automatically, I wonder why it keeps doing that..

Thanks in advance

Posted via Android Central App - SAMSUNG GALAXY S4
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-04-2014 at 08:42 PM.

Default Re: your internet connection is unstable.

It's an issue with 4.3, not just the S4. Some things that help is to change your router's settings to a single band (b, g, OR n...) instead of mixed (b, g, AND n) or change the channel to a less noisy one (1 is very common in most devices, so it can get crowded). Also turning the option to NOT let the WiFi go to sleep when the device is, well, asleep, is advisable.

In my case, my Note 3 displays this message whenever I place it too close to my laptop's network card antenna; if I put it somewhere else, it's fine.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Ohh I see and alright, I will take your advice in consideration.

Thanks!

Note 3 n9005 wifi not working

it seems like after i upgraded to android 4.3 .my phone i shaving some isssues with wifi recently. when i should get 15 Mbps downlaod speeed it is showing 1 Mbps. i ahve done all power saving mode to OFF also . and now going to ask for a replacement .samsung us said when i called, they offer help only if my device is manufactured in US. so sad

i hav etried different routers with different wifi bands also. a same galaxy s3 with android 4.3 is giving good speeed unlike this .
    so everyone please be aware of this when buying and let me know any solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Galaxy S4: your internet connection is unstable.-014b1141fc21eb164418d88430a7777188de3d78e7622b2ce2fd8994119721c6.jpg   Galaxy S4: your internet connection is unstable.-3135f126026bc14dae5910e37f64cd525045b71f3fc6954e67c2242f563bba77.jpg  

Unfortunately I'm going the save referenced issues--device won't recognize familiar WiFi connections and signal is 'unstable' and WiFi is too busy even though I'm the only person on my connection

Well, I may have found an answer, at least in my case, as I was being plagued by the same issue.

I have a Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router, and found that if I turn off the 5GHz SSID broadcast, the issues go away. I don't know why, and I don't particularly like it, but my WiFi has remained stable for 2 days now. My guess is that for some reason, the S4 is becoming confused somehow with the other 5 GHz id being broadcast. The weird thing is that I can leave the 5GHz radio on, and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

Don't know if this is the answer for everyone, but it seems to have worked for me (although it's only been a short time).
    Thanked by:
    sfvortex likes this.

Global Posts
    514 Global Posts

I too have been having idiotic connections with my wifi lately since the update. Doesnt matter if I'm on the higher band or the lower band. Phone just doesn't give a crap, lol. Thank goodness KitKat is only a little over a month away....I hope they will fix it then. It really is an annoying problem, especially on Skype.

Posted via Android Central App
    ~~ You have a cough? Go home tonight, eat a whole box of Ex-Lax, tomorrow you'll be afraid to cough.

Quote Originally Posted by troshs View Post
    I too have been having idiotic connections with my wifi lately since the update. Doesnt matter if I'm on the higher band or the lower band. Phone just doesn't give a crap, lol. Thank goodness KitKat is only a little over a month away....I hope they will fix it then. It really is an annoying problem, especially on Skype.

Posted via Android Central App
    Hi, troshs. As I noted, I don't have any problems with the bands themselves, just the SSID broadcast.

Just for the hell of it, disable the 5GGHz SSID broadcast (not the radio itself) in the router and see what happens.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by JLTEEXO View Post
    Anyone else get this annoying notification since 4.3 update?

If not then what went wrong? Everything seems alright with my wifi.. still, I get this notification almost every 5min since the update. Even though it's not a big deal 'cause it reconnects automatically, I wonder why it keeps doing that..

Thanks in advance

Yes,I've been getting it on my S3 since the update. In fact, I had to turn off the automatic switch to 3G to get the phone to stay on the home network at all. Latest download and upload speeds with it still happening: 26.59 Mbps and 8.74 Mbps! Needless to say, until now, I've scored so many points over my wife's iPhone, that there's a touch of schadenfreude there... :-(

I have a dual router also with 2Ghz and 5Ghz. The only phone so far that worked well on both was S2.My Galaxy tab 10.1 can also connect to both bands with no issue.
    After update to 4.3 my S4 shows me connection unstable every 1 minute and fails to connect unless I restart it or I restart the router.
    A solution that worked for me was to change the channel from Auto to some channel 6 on 2.4Ghz and 36 on on the 5Ghz.
    Still no luck with the 5Ghz connection however I see no more issues with the wifi connection on 2.4 - fingers crossed

If you go into your router settings, and LAN setup section you can just add your phone to the section where it says Address Reservation, that's what I did n I haven't had a problem since.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

@jeffreyh51

thanks for the info. i have netgear router equipment too, just copied and pasted your post so i can follow your instructions. also, i was reading post on a verizon site, and it appears that everyone is having the same issues. does not matter who the carrier is. i'm with at&t, so it has to be a problem with the updated 4.3 or higher software upgrade. thanks again, will let you know if this solves my problem as well.

Hi, Tee Mack1.

FYI...Although my suggestion worked for a while, it reverted back to the same old thing after a week or two. I'm back in the same boat as everyone else.
    I've tried everything I've seen in every forum I can find, but nothing seems to work. I'm convinced it's a Samsung problem that wasn't fixed in the latest update either. BTW...I'm also on AT&T, but that doesn't seen to be the issue, since many others are experiencing the same thing.
    We'll simply have to wait until somebody comes up with a more permanent solution.

I fixed mine by adding my phones ip address to my routers allowed devices.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

Default Re: Galaxy S4: your internet connection is unstable.

I was having lots of problems keeping a 5 ghz connection on my Netgear Nighthawk. Wifi Analyzer showed that the signal strength was very erratic. After the latest router firmware update, it has been much more stable.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I had the same stupid "your internet connection is unstable."
    I have 2 Samsung Galaxy S4 phones.
    Router is a dual band TP-link router. TL-WDR4300

Tried a lot of things, reset the phone, disabled the 2Ghz, disabled the 5Ghz.
    Also just installed the newest android 4.4.2
    Didn't help.

What did help is that my TP-link router has the ability to create a 'guest' network.
    So besides the 2Ghz network and the 5Ghz network, I created a 3rd network, only for the 2 mobile phones.
    And this worked. Both S4 phones now have a stable internet connection.
    On this 'guest' network, it doesn't matter if I turn on the WPA/WPS security or not.
    Anyway, it was a big disappointment to find out that the new android version 4.4.2 did not solve this issue.

I think that the whole issue is caused by the router or phones not liking that there are different protocols or security levels working on the same network.
    As long as you create a network with only 1 specific type of connection type being connected, the error will not occur.
    Strange thing still is that it will not work when you simply force your network to only work in only 1 mode (only WPA, only WPS etc)

Edit: wonder wonder.... the 2 other wifi networks now also work ok.......
    Last edited by robbie303; 03-15-2014 at 08:25 PM.

Where in the Samsung Galaxy S3 settings is the option NOT to turn the WiFi off? Would love to rid myself of the annoying Internet Unstable message.

There is no such option.
    There is an option however to automatically switch between mobile network and wifi:
    settings -> wifi -> advanced -> 'auto network switch'

Then, when having an unstable wifi, the phone will fall back to mobile network.

as for: "settings -> wifi -> advanced -> 'auto network switch'"

on my new (as of 4/11/14) Note 2, there is no "advanced" option after "settings -> wifi"

I see available networks listed and at the screen bottom I see 'Scan" and "wifi direct".

Scan seems self-explanatory. NO IDEA what Wifi Direct is? What might it do? How much extra is it going to cost me if I dare to press that? Does it have anything to do with Auto Network Switch?

But my question here is, how to get to Advanced & Auto Network Switch when there is no Advanced to press?

Brand new phone today and I let it do every kind of update it wanted to do when I set it up.

So grateful for any ideas.

Thanks

While being at wifi settings, press the menu button at the bottom and there will be a pop up menu listing advanced...

OK. so found something what works for the moment:
    In the router turn of the dual band option. So only 2Ghz, no 5Ghz.
    Not an ideal solution, but the Samsung S4 (and maybe more models) simply cant handle dual band routers of some brands.
    This works for me.

Edit1: OK, so this also does not fix it. After a few days the network connection became 'unstable' again. Going to try another router now.
    Edit2: So, I threw away my TP-link router and bought the Asus RT-AC68A router. Problem seems to be solved.
    Last edited by robbie303; 04-20-2014 at 05:40 PM.