Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy S4 running out of storage space!!!

I have the Samsung Galaxy S4 and recently got the update 4.3 . After this update the phone is gone haywire. The SD card error comes up saying " SD card unexpectedly removed " and then by itself says preparing SD card, this happens multiple times in a day. The SD card works fine on the computer. Backed up data, formatted it and inserted it back. Unmounted the SD card removed and inserted it again and it somehow resolved the issue. Another issue after few days was " Storage space running out ". Check the storage details for the device memory, it shows pictures and videos 6GB, so i transferred all media to SD Card. It still gave me the same error. So now I factory reset the device. Works fine for a week and now again starts with the same error " Storage space running out ". Again I have checked everything and there is no file in the device memory above 1GB and it still shows me pictures and videos 6.65GB. Can someone help please.

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 running out of storage space!!!

i had this problem on my Galaxy S2 for months,
    and i found a solution solved the problem for me, just dial *#9900# then select the second option "Delete dumpstate/logcat"

Hope it will work for you..
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

hey!! it didn't work tried it a couple of times, rebooted phone but no luck

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Ashish Bhupal View Post
    hey!! it didn't work tried it a couple of times, rebooted phone but no luck
    Welcome to the forums.
    Try clearing cache in recovery. Power off and follow this: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.
    Follow the steps for the S3.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hey it worked!! cleared up some 700MB of memory...but still pics and videos shows 6.33GB and I really cant understand where it is coming from :/...Thanks a lot though

I started having the same problem with my Galaxy S4 just after the software update, but after trying the clear cache and reboot suggestion the problem remained. I eventually fixed it. It was related to my Google Play music streaming. The cached music was going to the internal memory, which caused my Applications storage to have 9.5 GB. To fix this, I opened Google Play music settings and selected the Storage Location. This opened up an option to Choose storage location. I chose External. Immediately the cached internally stored music began transferring to the external storage. This took a couple of hours because it was 7GB. Once it finished transferring the files I restarted the phone and my Applications storage went from 9.5 GB to 2.64GB I also changed another setting in Google Play music, I deselected the Cache during playback option. I think this is what caused the problem in the first place. I don't need to cache my music because I always stream it. I hope this helps someone.

I have the same problem! I literally have 0.50GB to work with now and I've only had the phone for 4 months. I don't download much apps and even if I delete apps, it'll only be taking Megabytes off my phone. Samsung Galaxy S4 running out of storage space!!!-2013-12-31-15.21.48.jpg

I added up the space I'm taking up and the total was only 309.04MB! I have no clue how I could've used 15.49GB! I do have a 32GB microSD inserted after I got the storage warning and since the S4 update, I was able to transfer SOME of my internal memory over (like about only 2GBs). I really wanna transfer ALL of it over but I do not know how. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could just have internal memory transfer to SD memory just upon inserting a microSD card? That only sounds logical!

I do have apps like dropbox and pandora but I cannot imagine it taking up the bulk of the 15.5GB that the phone claims I'm using. I do have Clean Master app to occasionally clear of any random junk it can find (usually I clear about 300 MB every time I use the app).

Please help if any of you had any luck with the same problem!! Thanks!!!

Hi I'm having the same problem as you...but can you tell me where I can see how much space my pics and videos are taking up?

Samsung Galaxy S4 running out of storage space!!!-2013-12-31-15.52.09.jpgSamsung Galaxy S4 running out of storage space!!!-2013-12-31-15.52.15.jpg

Have you tried clicking on Miscellaneous Files to see exactly what's using the space?

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy® S4
    Thanked by:

6.97GB is "DocumentSync." I have the option to trash it. But I'm afraid it will mess up my dropbox and googledrive files. Does anyone know if it's safe to delete?

I Figured it out. if anyone else has the same problem (finding that most of the GB is at "documentsync," Do the following:

You can turn off the DocumentSync feature on your phone by following these instructions:
    1. From the main screen, press the Menu button.
    2. Tap Settings.
    3. Tap Accounts.
    4. Under 'backup options' tap Cloud
    5. Tap Documents
    6. Toggle off
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Ashish Bhupal View Post
    Hey it worked!! cleared up some 700MB of memory...but still pics and videos shows 6.33GB and I really cant understand where it is coming from :/...Thanks a lot though
    Ashish I'm having the same problem, but in my case the pics and videos are showing up as more than 6 GB. Can you please help? I have a Galaxy S4

hi - this has just started happening about 4 days ago. It's a 16GB phone and says i have 9.23 storage left! I can't seem to open my gallery to access any photos. It also won't update any current apps that i have. The Music looks fine and is working. The guy in the vodafone shop was useless and about 12 years old! Can anyone help with advice as I'm not very technical either!! any help in laymans terms would be great.

thanks in advance anyone.....

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna2 View Post
    hi - this has just started happening about 4 days ago. It's a 16GB phone and says i have 9.23 storage left! I can't seem to open my gallery to access any photos. It also won't update any current apps that i have. The Music looks fine and is working. The guy in the vodafone shop was useless and about 12 years old! Can anyone help with advice as I'm not very technical either!! any help in laymans terms would be great.

Lol, think you're struggling? Mine tells me I only have 670 mb

Thankfully though, I have a 64GB SD card in my phone

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna2 View Post

I've read that Android OS is using pretty huge percentage of device memory, and that's why users got less than 10 GB to play around.
    I just dunno anything about storage space problem, because my system storage shows I've used 3.56 GB out of 9.25 GB and my phone is just running smoothly without any storage space issues.

I have freed a lot more storage space by uninstalling the updates on all my stock apps for e.g ChatOn, ATT navigator, and etc. These updates takes like 30-60mb and after uninstalling it will bring the app down to about 3mb. Starting uninstalling each of them since users don't use much for these apps. Let me know if this helps!

Wow my S4 had the same problem a couple weeks ago I ended up having to factory reset it

Posted via Android Central App
    Current phone im using: Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch

Had the same problem with pictures & videos taking up most of storage (even though they were all on SD card).
    Did a factory reset which worked, but storage problem came back.
    Eventually resolved by installed free SD Maid app and running SystemCleaner.
    This detected many thumbnails which when deleted was able to recover the storage space (took a little while to delete them all).
    Not sure where all the thumbnails had come from.
    Hope this helps.

Thumbs up Re: Samsung Galaxy S4 running out of storage space!!!

THANK YOU!!! Finally someone helped! I will definitely recommend SD Mail. I found that I had over 70000 thumbnails.

Thank you so much. This was very helpfull. You saved my day.