Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  • 1 Post By Homer_Cooper
  • 1 Post By Homer_Cooper
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default 128 gb card

Is it compatible?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: 128 gb card

is it compatible with a mobile Galaxy S4?

Global Posts
    6,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Welcome to the forums.

No real way to know until someone tries it. You. You could try it and let us know.
    Live long and prosper.

No, because the S4 only supports up to 64GB. However I don't know if it does like the Xbox and take the maximum it can and leave the rest of there's extra

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Edible Walrus View Post
    No, because the S4 only supports up to 64GB. However I don't know if it does like the Xbox and take the maximum it can and leave the rest of there's extra

I would think if the 128gb supports the standards, it would be fine. I suppose there is always some new wrinkle.

But is your statement that there is an actual limitation based on the advertising and specs that say "and can expand up to 64gb?"

Because I presumed those ads and specs were generally so stated because 64gb was the highest capacity available MicroSD card. To my knowledge, it still is. Are there 128gb microsd cards out? Just went over to Amazon, saw none in microsd at that capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by monsieurms View Post
    I would think if the 128gb supports the standards, it would be fine. I suppose there is always some new wrinkle.

But is your statement that there is an actual limitation based on the advertising and specs that say "and can expand up to 64gb?"

Because I presumed those ads and specs were generally so stated because 64gb was the highest capacity available MicroSD card. To my knowledge, it still is. Are there 128gb microsd cards out? Just went over to Amazon, saw none in microsd at that capacity.
    Its specs actually say 64GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4, 4G, 3G, WiFi, 13MP Camera, 5“ Full HD, 1.9 GHz - Samsung UK - TECH SPECS

I remember seeing up to 64GB when I was researching it before purchase and then got the highest capacity card it supported

Global Posts
    6,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Well, an option would be to get the 128GB card and try it. If for some reason it really doesn't work use a Meenova.

gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.

Its specs actually say 64GB
    Samsung Galaxy S4, 4G, 3G, WiFi, 13MP Camera, 5€œ Full HD, 1.9 GHz - Samsung UK - TECH SPECS

I remember seeing up to 64GB when I was researching it before purchase and then got the highest capacity card it supported
    I believe that is Samsung's way (and most manufacturers' way) of saying that the most it can expand to is 64gb because that was the largest card on the market. I'm not aware that there is a 128gb microsd card out yet, but I'm virtually certain there wasn't one when the S4 came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Well, an option would be to get the 128GB card and try it. If for some reason it really doesn't work use a Meenova.

gp8.3
    Everyone keeps talking about 128gb microSD cards as if they exist. News to me, which I guess is possible.

I've done some quick searches in response to this thread---I found zip on Amazon. I guess maybe I've missed one.

But does anyone actually know of a major manufacturer making 128gb microSDXC cards? I'd be psyched to try it.

I have a 128gb micro SD I use in my laptop for additional storage (it only has a 128gb sad in it). I'll try it in my optimus g pro later to see if it registers.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ranny99 View Post
    I have a 128gb micro SD I use in my laptop for additional storage (it only has a 128gb sad in it). I'll try it in my optimus g pro later to see if it registers.

Where did you buy this 128gb micro sd card from ?

Amazon, I'm from the UK and there's loads on there. I'm assuming them being sdxc is maybe reason they aren't being read.

Quote Originally Posted by Ranny99 View Post
    Amazon, I'm from the UK and there's loads on there. I'm assuming them being sdxc is maybe reason they aren't being read.

Can you provide a link? I just checked Amazon UK, and while there are plenty of full size 128gb cards, I saw 0 microSD cards. Are you sure what you have in the laptop is a MICROsd card (anything at 128gb is SDXC by definition).

Sorry been a long day, brain not working correctly. Interesting discussion using an adaptor here though.

Will the new Sandisk 128GB MicroSDXC card SDSDQUA-128G-U46A work inside the Verizon Galaxy Note 2?

If it does take 128GB is it worth me getting a 128GB card? I barely use any of my 64GB one

Global Posts
    6,280 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

If it does take 128GB is it worth me getting a 128GB card? I barely use any of my 64GB one
    For you it may not be worth it, but for someone itching to carry around their complete movie or music collection it may be attractive.

gp8.3
    Live long and prosper.

monsieurms likes this.

Why would you want a pricey 128gb---the price is always high when they first come out and this isn't on the market yet, evidently---if you're barely using the 64? Wait and see how it goes. If you fill up space and need more and the next gen is finally out....go for it. If not, you won't have wasted the money. And 128gb evidently doesn't exist at the moment in any event.

I see amazon sells them for $120. So not to bad considering it just came out. going to wait a few months for the price to drop to around $75 and pick one up. The 64GB in my S4 is full. So I've been waiting for this.
    monsieurms likes this.

Finally out! I'm pysched.

I would prefer to wait and get my normal brand though (Kingston).

That sounds great in writing. In practice, not so sure. Remember the corruption issues with sd cards and s4. I'm using a 32g SAMSUNG sd card in my s4 and some pics were corrupted on vacation just last week. Not ALL, just random pics. Thank goodness as soon as I was back in the hotel and on wifi they all are backed up to Dropbox so only a few were lost. Only some favorites!

Quote Originally Posted by bodum02 View Post
    That sounds great in writing. In practice, not so sure. Remember the corruption issues with sd cards and s4. I'm using a 32g SAMSUNG sd card in my s4 and some pics were corrupted on vacation just last week. Not ALL, just random pics. Thank goodness as soon as I was back in the hotel and on wifi they all are backed up to Dropbox so only a few were lost. Only some favorites!

Did you originally format the card in the device? I've never had a problem when doing so.

I've had a 64GB in the phone since july, No issues at all. I do upload the good photos to photobucket though Just in case
    monsieurms likes this.

Decided to order one.
    Should have in the next day or so.
    Wondering if I should format to fat32 or just transfer straight from the old card. Old card is a 64gb sandisc ultra formated as fat32.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer_Cooper View Post
    Decided to order one.
    Should have in the next day or so.
    Wondering if I should format to fat32 or just transfer straight from the old card. Old card is a 64gb sandisc ultra formated as fat32.
    My rule of thumb is very simple: format it in the device at the outset. Let the device pick what it wants. That has always produced the best results for me. Your mileage may differ!

BTW, here is something that might shed light on this:

Galaxy S4: Micro SD Card Corruption Issues
    Last edited by monsieurms; 06-20-2014 at 08:38 AM.

Based on another thread in which it was claimed that Sandisk had addressed problems with Samsung by writing a patch to the new cards, I avoided formatting.

Just loaded (2) 128gb cards, one into my Note 2014 and one into my S4.

No problems.
    Caveat:
    ---One oddity I noted, which I think is not a card issue per se but more a question of how Windows deals with the software that allows you to access the card when still in the phone , is that I notice trying to rename files with Win Explorer causes the screen to indicate a stall or delay at times. Copying works fine. Renaming or creating new folders is sometimes anomalous and I have to reload Win Explorer.

Everything works fine when the card is in a card reader or in the device using the device's native file manager, though. It is only Windows Explorer access when the card is in the phone that is sometimes a bit odd.