Ads, posts that are "too specific"

Cvc305

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello Android community, first post here.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 from T-Mo and I love it. I had an iPhone 4 before and I don't think I will be going back anytime soon.
I consider myself a pretty smart (currently seeking an aerospace engineering B.Eng) and i tend to notice things around me. One thing I notice more than a few times, which is why I am writing this post, is that it seems like things that are in my conversations and texts messages are coming up as ads or post on my social media.

One specific example is that a girl I talk to from time to time texted me out of the blue. She mentioned she was getting puppy as she was updating me on her life and the back and forth died down not to long after ( I am horrible with texting people back). I went on about my day and open Chrome to browse the internet and there on the first page I visit I see an ad for buying a puppy. Not just a Petsmart ad about pets in general but an ad from puppy breeding website. I know I have never gotten an ad like that before because I don't spend my time browsing pet or puppy pictures on my phone. I don't even have an interest in owning a pet of my own anytime soon.

Another time, I was actually having a verbal conversation with a couple of good friends who I went to high school with. One talk about memories lead to another and we end up talking about girls from back in the day. We spent some time on this one girl who dated a mutual friend of ours. This is one of those random conversations that you have no idea how you came about talking about until you realize you're talking about it. Then, of all the regular people, pages, companies, and advertisement that normally clog my feed, is the girl who we were talking about. I'm incredibly astonished because I didn't even remembered that I had her on Facebook to be honest.

Has anyone noticed this as well?? I know an article came out about how Google tracks your location even if you don not give explicit permission. I noticed this before but that article finally made me make a thread. Please Let me know if anyone has and if there is anything I can do to stop it.

DriscolDevil

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Once you have the technology to recognize verbal commands, scanning conversations for key words and using it for ads isn't really far behind. There's lots of money to be made in it.

Is it really so different from seeing billboards everywhere or seeing ads specific to your current location, like coffee and fast food ads at a subway station?
BTW Google tracks your location regardless of your permission. It's to make the "traffic apps more accurate" or whatever. It's a new world, and your going to be called crazy if you talk too much about it.

Just be aware, but don't become so obsessed that you start to lose it. Not sure why you have ads in your feed btw, that sounds like a you specific problem, but I have noticed ads tailored to what I do with my phone.

Why do you want to stop it? Would you rather not see ads tailored to your conversations or are you worried about who is listening? It's probably a programmed algorithm or something, obviously not a person sitting at a desk listening to your conversations, unless you are suspected of committing some future crime anyways.

Not trying to seem rude or insensitive but this is just the world we are living in now.

Cvc305

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
No offense taken friend!

I was just wondering if other people had similar experiences. I know that ads are based on what you do on your phone but its a little unsettling when it comes from the private sector of your phone. I also thought about the voice command feature on my S4 which is why I posted on this forum and not Android in general. I do not see myself going mad anytime soon :)

As far as ads go, I really don't care for them. There is a definite difference between the amount of ads you are bombarded with on Android and IOS and its one of the few things I do miss of IOS.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze