Installing KitKat on non-GPE Galaxy S4

Jason Bourne4

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, and I apologize if it has been asked already, but is it possible to install the Samsung Galaxy S4 GPE version of KitKat onto a non-GPE S4? If not, anyone know why this is not possible?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, and I apologize if it has been asked already, but is it possible to install the Samsung Galaxy S4 GPE version of KitKat onto a non-GPE S4? If not, anyone know why this is not possible?

In most cases it is possible. It depends on what version of the gs4 you have. If you have a Verizon or Att version you may not be able to root and flash custom recovery which would be required to flash the gs4 Google edition rom. Att and Verizon versions have an encrypted bootloader which blocks the ability have a custom recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
In most cases it is possible. It depends on what version of the gs4 you have. If you have a Verizon or Att version you may not be able to root and flash custom recovery which would be required to flash the gs4 Google edition rom. Att and Verizon versions have an encrypted bootloader which blocks the ability have a custom recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

With the latest update to 4.3 Knox blocks all attempts to do so. Regardless of carriers

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Really? Even on T-Mobile/Sprint? That's crazy!

Yeah. I'm on TMo but I was already rooted and ROMed (Thankfully)
Looks like nobody wants their subscribers to root and mod. I'm guessing there's been a lot of bricks lol

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. I'm on TMo but I was already rooted and ROMed (Thankfully)
Looks like nobody wants their subscribers to root and mod. I'm guessing there's been a lot of bricks lol

Can't believe that! I knew AT&T and Verizon had gone off the deep end as far a control of the bootloader but this sounds like it's more Samsung than it is T-Mobile.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Can't believe that! I knew AT&T and Verizon had gone off the deep end as far a control of the bootloader but this sounds like it's more Samsung than it is T-Mobile.

TMo and Sprint had unlocked bootloaders before, maybe they changed their mind? :p
Either way, I can only imagine it's going to be increasingly difficult to mod phones with future updates and phones from Sammy.
I'm off their bandwagon as soon as the next Moto X comes out hehe

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante