Seriously thinking about trading my GS4 in for a Moto X

effreyj

Sep 9, 2011
Visit site
I just got my wife a Moto X and I'm really impressed with the look and feel of that phone. I know the GS4 has better specs, but I can't tell the difference in the screen quality and the software is so much better on the Moto X that it makes up for the difference in processor power. Here are the pros and cons:

Reasons to keep GS4:
-GS4 definitely has the best camera of any phone I've used, and the Moto X camera is average at best
-While I can't tell the difference in screen quality, I like having the bigger screen on the GS4. The difference of the 5 inch vs. the 4.7 inch where some of it is taken up by on-screen buttons feels significant
-I like having all of my music on my phone, so I bought a 64GB micro sd card for the GS4. The Moto X I'd swap it for would only have 16GB of storage, some of which (although much less than with touchwiz) will be taken up by the OS, and there's no micro sd card slot.

Reasons to get the Moto X:
-The build quality is so much better and the phone just feels nicer in the hands. It's also way easier to use with only one hand.
-It's basically stock android with actual useful extras like the touchless control and active notifications, whereas touchwiz feels so clunky and I disabled almost all of the extra features.
-Battery life is way better since there are much fewer pixels and the processor and software are optimized much better.

What do you guys think? I'm going to post it in both forums...

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I probably wouldn't trade, unless you're going to make a notable amount of money by doing so. What I would probably do is flash SlimBean or CM to the S4.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I just got my wife a Moto X and I'm really impressed with the look and feel of that phone. I know the GS4 has better specs, but I can't tell the difference in the screen quality and the software is so much better on the Moto X that it makes up for the difference in processor power. Here are the pros and cons:

Reasons to keep GS4:
-GS4 definitely has the best camera of any phone I've used, and the Moto X camera is average at best
-While I can't tell the difference in screen quality, I like having the bigger screen on the GS4. The difference of the 5 inch vs. the 4.7 inch where some of it is taken up by on-screen buttons feels significant
-I like having all of my music on my phone, so I bought a 64GB micro sd card for the GS4. The Moto X I'd swap it for would only have 16GB of storage, some of which (although much less than with touchwiz) will be taken up by the OS, and there's no micro sd card slot.

-The build quality is so much better and the phone just feels nicer in the hands. It's also way easier to use with only one hand.
-It's basically stock android with actual useful extras like the touchless control and active notifications, whereas touchwiz feels so clunky and I disabled almost all of the extra features.
-Battery life is way better since there are much fewer pixels and the processor and software are optimized much better.

I have an S4 and a Nexus 5. I had the Moto X. If you are used to the bigger screen (like I am) it's hard to use the Moto X. The build quality of the Moto X is the best of the 3. It's also easier to use and hold the Moto X but I don't do much on my phone with just 1 hand so it's not that big of a deal for me. Active notifications is also nice but to me if I am checking my phone because of a notification more than likely I will open up the phone to A. Reply to a text B. Return a call. No comparison on the cameras. And as far as the Moto X being more pocketable I mean come on. The S4 and Nexus 5 are big but it's not like those 2 are gigantic. As far as battery,I charge my phone every night

doohsun

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Reasons to keep GS4:

For me I wouldn't trade it all though the touchwhiz is not the best I ended up using Nova launcher I was really hesitant doing at the beginning but noticed the difference in turns of options and speed. I do agree with you with the who gesture thing I turn them all off not because i didn't like I just don't see the need for it. It's almost quicker for me to do it manually otherwise it's really just an ahhhhh woohooooo thingy. On top of that battery is depleted because of it. I've installed 2 things to help improve the battery battery doc and snap dragon guru a huge difference in saving battery. Also I would disable Samsung apps that came with it along with others I don't use them. It helps a lot as well in terms of memory performance I've noticed I've never use more then 1.2 ram of usage after cleaning it up I bring it down to under 1gb. As far as the Moto x only cool factor would be the open mic but eventually you'll get bored of it hate having to talk to my phone lol. Whether people like it or not when you got big screen the battery will be consumed more that's the disadvantage of having a big screen hopefully one day they will find a way to make a screen that doesn't draw that much battery for now I don't believe any company have the tech to do that yet.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
It be ashame to have to flash things into your phone to make it the way you want . They are both great phones but very very different philosophies. The S4 is supposed to wow you with endless features while the X uses a few that help in every day life. Some people love the specs and others like simplicity and function. Its one reason ipbone is so popular. Motorola gives a new ease of use and a refreshing change from the way other manufacturers are going. Optimization is unfortunately not being implemented in most. Just pack in the most features and hope the latest processor handles it. My father and brother in law have the s4 and I have a Note 2 and Moto x. I like the Moto the best.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Actually, I've found I LIKE flashing CM or Slim into my devices. Why? Because, IME, they tend to turn the device into a GPe+. You get this nice hardware with a light, yet featured experience. Add Nova Prime to that and voila! Bam! Sliqness. Now that's just me, others may feel differently. I suggested it with the S4 because some have noted that Samsung's TouchWiz is a bit heavy and yet the hardware is nice. Flashing a new ROM seems like a cure for that. Different strokes for different folks.

gp8.3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21