Galaxy S4: S Voice Wake up while screen is off impossible???

JohnnyGui

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

So I received my Galaxy S4 a few days ago and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of it. There is however one thing that concerns me regarding S Voice. I just can't seem to let S Voice's wake up command ("Hi Galaxy") let my GS4 go ON from its sleeping state (i.e. when the screen is OFF). My GS4 only reacts to this command either when I'm in the S Voice app itself or when the lockscreen is showing.

Now, I have literally tried EVERY combination of settings to let this work but alas, no results. I have turned on the Wake up command in the S Voice Settings as well as in the Lock screen settings. I turned on Voice commands in My Device settings. I have added the S Voice app to the App Administrators List in the Security settings and I have cleared the data and cache of the S Voice app but none did the trick.
It seems quite weird since it DOES state clearly in the S Voice Settings app that "You can say "Hi Galaxy" when in S Voice or while the screen is off to automatically wake up S Voice".

Does anyone else have this problem or got a solution to this??

Also, I noticed that you cannot change the wake up command to something else than "Hi Galaxy" while I read on forums that this should be possible on the S4. Is this possible for you S4 users?

I'm running Android 4.3.

Last edited by a moderator:

thomas jackman

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Re: S Voice Wake up while screen is off impossible???

I used to have problems using S Voice, so switched to just using Google Now. When i was using S Voice, I could never get it to turn on by voice unless I was either in the app or sometimes on the homescreen.

Posted via Android Central App

Rashawn29

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Hey all,

So I received my Galaxy S4 a few days ago and so far I'm enjoying the hell out of it. There is however one thing that concerns me regarding S Voice. I just can't seem to let S Voice's wake up command ("Hi Galaxy") let my GS4 go ON from its sleeping state (i.e. when the screen is OFF). My GS4 only reacts to this command either when I'm in the S Voice app itself or when the lockscreen is showing.

Now, I have literally tried EVERY combination of settings to let this work but alas, no results. I have turned on the Wake up command in the S Voice Settings as well as in the Lock screen settings. I turned on Voice commands in My Device settings. I have added the S Voice app to the App Administrators List in the Security settings and I have cleared the data and cache of the S Voice app but none did the trick.
It seems quite weird since it DOES state clearly in the S Voice Settings app that "You can say "Hi Galaxy" when in S Voice or while the screen is off to automatically wake up S Voice".

Does anyone else have this problem or got a solution to this??

Also, I noticed that you cannot change the wake up command to something else than "Hi Galaxy" while I read on forums that this should be possible on the S4. Is this possible for you S4 users?

I'm running Android 4.3.

The galax s4 doesn't have that functionality, the only phone that I know to do this is Moto X it has a chip dedicated for that.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

JohnnyGui

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

Rashawn29

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The only way is to turn on the phone and then say the wake up command, but you can't have a pin or password protection.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Android Central App

OverLordOfYou

May 31, 2010
Visit site

Yeah they removed it on 4.3
Luckily or unluckily counting on how you see it my custom command is still there even though the option was removed after the update. But now I'm stuck with having to say "wake up War Machine". The "hi Galaxy" won't work for me.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I don't think it was ever an option on the S4...even prior to the 4.3 update.
Only the Moto X and Note 3 can do it...

It was when we had 4.2.2. Mine was "STARGATE, activate".

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Just a heads up, I just found out that the option to change the wake up command has been removed since the 4.3 update of Android: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...s4-refuses-wake-my-command-used-before-2.html

Don't know why this has been done

I guess it's true, I stopped using that feature a while ago and now have the 4.3 update and haven't mess with it yet.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

It was when we had 4.2.2. Mine was "STARGATE, activate".

With the screen off? I didn't know that worked before. I thought only the Snapdragon 800 was able to do this :eek:

JohnnyGui

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

With the screen off? I didn't know that worked before. I thought only the Snapdragon 800 was able to do this :eek:

I think he meant being able to change the wake up command. Not about waking up the phone while the screen is off.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I think he meant being able to change the wake up command. Not about waking up the phone while the screen is off.

You're right, I don't remember been able to wake up the phone with the screen off.

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

The only way to do any of this now on 4.3 is to use hands free mode. When you switch to that screen it stays on and waits for a command. Taking the creativity out in 4.3 by removing the custom wake up command just smells like marketing to me. They want people to know you have a galaxy...which coming up with a creative wake up command would draw me in more than anything....but thats just me.

JohnnyGui

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site

The only way to do any of this now on 4.3 is to use hands free mode. When you switch to that screen it stays on and waits for a command. Taking the creativity out in 4.3 by removing the custom wake up command just smells like marketing to me. They want people to know you have a galaxy...which coming up with a creative wake up command would draw me in more than anything....but thats just me.

You may have a point there. However, as shown in the previous posted link (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/sa...s4-refuses-wake-my-command-used-before-2.html), a forum member contacted Samsung about the lack of changing the wake up command and they responded that they will fix it in the next update.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I've never heard the claim that S-Voice would work when the screen is off. Even that picture that was posted suggests that you have to be on the lock screen to get it to work.

You can use Tasker and AutoVoice to get continuous voice recognition, but you'll have to figure out how to get the functionality you want (which sometimes can be better than what you get out of S-Voice or Google Now) and unless you're plugged into a charger it will do a pretty good job of draining your battery.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I was really tired when I posted that, didn't read that post correctly lol

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I was really tired when I posted that, didn't read that post correctly lol

Ah, it happens, no big deal. 😉

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad