Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By dancing-bass
  • 1 Post By STSVA
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why is instagram doing this to my photos?

Why is instagram doing this to my photos?-img_20131223_174107.jpg

Default Re: Why is instagram doing this to my photos?

doing what exactly? Describe what the problem is, and post a picture of what the original shot looked like. Do all your photos look like this? Have you tried taking the picture with the stock camera instead?

We need more information before we can help
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
    STSVA likes this.

+1 to dancing-bass' questions above. It looks like a very underexposed image. It's impossible to tell more without more information.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by dancing-bass View Post
    doing what exactly? Describe what the problem is, and post a picture of what the original shot looked like. Do all your photos look like this? Have you tried taking the picture with the stock camera instead?

We need more information before we can help
    Why is instagram doing this to my photos?-img_20131223_173618.jpg

This is what the original looks like. The problem is when the pictures are dark you can see spots or lines of purple. It's more obvious on the phone but you can see it on the door. This only happens if I take dark pictures with instagram. Taking pictures from the phone camera doesn't do this. I also noticed in instagram there's some glitch like for instance, I'm using Brennan effect but it toggles Earlybird effect instead. When I use the light toggle while editing instead of offering just two (effect with light/effect without light) it toggles 3 or 4 sometimes, triggering other effects like the example I used.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why is instagram doing this to my photos?-img_20131223_173618.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthete18 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131223_173618.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	167.4 KB 
ID:	98063

This is what the original looks like. The problem is when the pictures are dark you can see spots or lines of purple. It's more obvious on the phone but you can see it on the door. This only happens if I take dark pictures with instagram. Taking pictures from the phone camera doesn't do this. I also noticed in instagram there's some glitch like for instance, I'm using Brennan effect but it toggles Earlybird effect instead. When I use the light toggle while editing instead of offering just two (effect with light/effect without light) it toggles 3 or 4 sometimes, triggering other effects like the example I used.
    These images are extremely underexposed. Presumably some effect Instagram is adding causes color artifacts in these underexposed images.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by STSVA View Post
    These images are extremely underexposed. Presumably some effect Instagram is adding causes color artifacts in these underexposed images.
    Taking a picture of a dark area with my S4 camera and then putting it in Instagram doesn't do this. I don't think it should do that maybe this picture is not the best example but the other day I took this picture of the city from a rooftop at night and the sky had streaks of purple lines in most effects.

Why is instagram doing this to my photos?-img_20131223_213439.jpg

It looks much worse on my phone for some reason, but even at a glance here you can tell the quality is rubbish. I never used to have a problem taking pictures at night via instagram.

Taking a picture of a dark area with my S4 camera and then putting it in Instagram doesn't do this. I don't think it should do that maybe this picture is not the best example but the other day I took this picture of the city from a rooftop at night and the sky had streaks of purple lines in most effects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20131223_213439.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	474.6 KB 
ID:	98066

It looks much worse on my phone for some reason, but even at a glance here you can tell the quality is rubbish. I never used to have a problem taking pictures at night via instagram.
    It could be color or luminance noise, especially if the shot used a higher ISO and/or the exposure was "pushed" in post processing in the phone. It looks like a lot of noise when I view your city shot full size. That's to be expected in an image shot in low light with a very small sensor with tiny pixels at a high ISO.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

It could be color or luminance noise, especially if the shot used a higher ISO and/or the exposure was "pushed" in post processing in the phone. It's really hard to tell what's going on without comparing an original image with the edited image in something like Photoshop. Based on the look of the sky in your city shot, my bet would be on some kind of noise.
    Do you know why this could be happening? The reason I'm a little concerned is because recently a friend of mine was using my phone to Skype and after he was done he charged it with his HTC one charger. To make matters worse, his charger was already giving problems and not charging his HTC properly. So I'm worried that it might have effected my phone in some way. Is there any chance that could be the case?

Do you know why this could be happening? The reason I'm a little concerned is because recently a friend of mine was using my phone to Skype and after he was done he charged it with his HTC one charger. To make matters worse, his charger was already giving problems and not charging his HTC properly. So I'm worried that it might have effected my phone in some way. Is there any chance that could be the case?
    It's very unlikely. Virtually all digital camera sensors produce some noise, and the tiny sensors and pixels in phone cameras typically produce a lot of noise, especially when shooting in low light. High ISO electronically "boosts" noise already present in the image. The noise from the S4 is also more visible than from most phone cameras because of the high resolution 13MP images produced by the S4.
    Thanked by:
    Aesthete18 likes this.

For lots more info. on digital camera noise, take a look here -
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

It's very unlikely. Virtually all digital camera sensors produce some noise, and the tiny sensors and pixels in phone cameras typically produce a lot of noise, especially when shooting in low light. High ISO electronically "boosts" noise already present in the image. The noise from the S4 is also more visible than from most phone cameras because of the high resolution 13MP images produced by the S4.
    That eases my mind a little. Thank you.