1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The most unstable battery drain I've ever seen.

Every single phone I've ever had, usually has a range of hours for it's battery life. My Galaxy S4 though, has the weirdest battery life I've seen so far. I has lasted from 4 hours to 15 hours, with little to no use. Today I experienced the longest though, which has me surprised. It's been 13 hours and it's at 76%, normally it would be almost drained by now. I don't know why this phone is so unpredictable when it comes to battery life, I can never know when it's gonna drain fast or when it's gonna last a long time. And, it's bothering me that I don't know why the hell this happens. Does anybody know why this phone acts this way?

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: The most unstable battery drain I've ever seen.

The battery drains faster when the phone has little to no signal coverage.

Have you checked your coverage when the phone drains faster?
    How about a rogue application?

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

To add onto that, somebody in another thread reported that they also had horrible battery life with a weak wifi signal, so it's apparently not just the OTA voice/data signal that can cause battery drain.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I haven't really noticed anything. Signal seems fine.

Assuming you're generally using the phone with a steady signal, there's apparently something else causing variable drain. What does the Battery section of Settings tell you is using the battery by % when it's draining a lot versus when it's just draining a little?
    Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon - SCH-I545) - Android 4.3
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

When it drains a lot it's usually either Android OS or Media Server taking at least 70% of battery drain, Screen being on second place usually. This happens even when I am not using my phone, ie. when I'm sleeping and it's laying next to me with the screen OFF. It usually loses about 40%-60% of battery overnight. This is what's "normal" for me. However, last night something changed, it lost about 10%-15% battery overnight. Top 4 apps draining battery are: Android OS at 31%, Screen at 23%, Cell Standby at 18% and Device Idle at 13%.

I noticed that cell standby and device idle took more than they usually would, which makes me think they weren't doing what they were supposed to before, which is cause my phone to be idle or on standby when it's not being used. Android OS or Media Server would drain the battery more than any other app no matter whether I was using my phone or not.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Here are 3 screenshots. The first one is of the time my bettery drained the fastest, second screenshot is "normal" battery drain for me (which I still consider to be fast), last screenshot is the longest it has lasted.

PS: I always use wifi, the first screenshots don't have wifi on because at the moment I wasn't home. But 90% of the time I'm connected to wifi.

PSS: Right now, for the first time, Screen is draining the battery more than Android OS. It is in first place, which was never the case.
    Last edited by dickharper; 12-23-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by dickharper View Post

PSS: Right now, for the first time, Screen is draining the battery more than Android OS. It is in first place, which was never the case.
    That's the way it should normally be.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!