Why are there no phones that sync with Outlook anymore?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: why are there no phones that sync with Outlook anymore?

I sync up with Outlook on my computer thru outlook.com on my note 2 using Samsungs stock email app using Exchange Active Sync. No third party. Totally Microsoft because I'm using office 2013 and have a outlook.com email address which means calendar, one note, Sky drive, and everything else. All thru Microsoft apps on my note 2 and I'm running on 4.3 jb.

73fe4158, yes I did it, anything else

That's what I do when I need to use Outlook.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

does anyone knopw a free way to sync outlook with android Galaxy S4?

I use the Outlook app for Android and it works just fine. I'm not sure if this will take care of your needs.

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

No the outlook app wont take care of my needs. I need my tasks and contacts with the contact notes. In fact, outlook.com wants me to upload contacts using a ccv file. No ay that will work for me unfortunately.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

I gave up looking for free solutions and downloaded a trial of CompanionLink. I have both a tablet and a phone, so the best solution for me was use CompanionLink to sync my Exchange mail to Outlook.com, then sync that with both devices. Its been working so far. Its all automagical, no wires needed. CompanionLink IMO is a bit pricey, but after so much time struggling with a workable solution, I'm finding it to be exactly what I need. So I will probably buy it.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Glad you found a solution. Even though it's pricey, if you had to have it for work then it'll pay itself in no time.

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away

Old Stoneface

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

I will not pay for something that should come with my phone.

Why should support for Microsoft-proprietary protocols and products come standard on a Google Android device?

I suppose this is going to come as a shock, to some, but many, many things Microsoft and Microsoft products do are not based on open standards. So, while they may be "Microsoft-standard," they are not truly standard. Often, the only way third parties can get their stuff to (more-or-less) work with Microsoft's is by reverse-engineering Microsoft's file formats or protocols. Then MS turns around and makes a minor change, and it has to be done all over again.

It's about time the rest of the I.T. world stops being wagged by Microsoft.

I realize my preaching does not solve your problem, and for that please accept my apology. But I felt it important the point be made: This is not Google's fault. If it's anybody's, it's Microsoft's. Or, one might argue, that of those who choose MS' proprietary solutions.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Why should support for Microsoft-proprietary protocols and products come standard on a Google Android device?

I suppose this is going to come as a shock, to some, but many, many things Microsoft and Microsoft products do are not based on open standards. So, while they may be "Microsoft-standard," they are not truly standard. Often, the only way third parties can get their stuff to (more-or-less) work with Microsoft's is by reverse-engineering Microsoft's file formats or protocols. Then MS turns around and makes a minor change, and it has to be done all over again.

It's about time the rest of the I.T. world stops being wagged by Microsoft.

I realize my preaching does not solve your problem, and for that please accept my apology. But I felt it important the point be made: This is not Google's fault. If it's anybody's, it's Microsoft's. Or, one might argue, that of those who choose MS' proprietary solutions.

I completely agree with you! 👍

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site

I mentioned "MyPhoneExplorer" by FJ Software earlier but it seems to have been missed so I'm repeating it because it does exactly what you want.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....fjsoft.myphoneexplorer.client&token=EoYlDWn4

MPE is FREE on play store and syncs contacts, calendar and notes to Outlook (both directions). I use WiFi but BT and USB are also supported. The part that installs on the phone includes apps for Notes and Tasks since the native Android app doesn't support them. Another part installs on the PC. Files can be synced also with custom filters to sync by folders and more. It is an extremely flexible syncing app.

No relationship to the author but I've been using this on two phones for a long time with as absolutely no issues. Highly recommended.

Kilgore Trout

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

One reason androids (and most smartphones in general) don't sync well with Outlook is that the device is generally not built around a "sync with the desktop" philosophy. Back in the days of the Pocket PC and Palm pilot, you always had to sync your device with your PC every day. In the Android world, all the sync is expected to happen within the cloud.

I sync my Android to Outlook with no problem, but it happens in the cloud via my employer's exchange/activesync server.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

One reason androids (and most smartphones in general) don't sync well with Outlook is that the device is generally not built around a "sync with the desktop" philosophy. Back in the days of the Pocket PC and Palm pilot, you always had to sync your device with your PC every day. In the Android world, all the sync is expected to happen within the cloud.

That's a very good point.

starbuckk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

It is definitely more complex now to set up. But easier in the long haul since it all happens behind the curtain. But there really is no free option.

First step is CompanionLink to Outlook.com. Hint: read the notes about kies replacement and you should see a $10 off code.
Next, get an Outlook.com account.
Set up CompanionLink to auto sync between Outlook and Outlook.com.
Set up your outlook.com account on your phone or tablet.
After everything syncs up you should see your info in S-Planner.

The one thing still missing for me was a tasks widget. None of the S-planner widgets work with Nova Launcher. Found an app called Tasks & Notes to get the task widget and Business Calendar Pro for calendar.

Working great so far. New appointment show up on other devices quickly.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

IanS100

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

I've been using gSyncit by Fieldston Software for a couple of years & find it very good. It will sync or backup multiple Google calendars & tasks to Outlook in whichever direction you want. It installs as an add-on to Outlook

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

chugg

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Ok Kies does sync all of these things. It took 4 hours of tech support but it does sync with tasks, calendar, notes and contacts with Outlook. When you get a warning that half of your contacts have been deleted dont have a heart attack and just X it out. I cant believe it works!

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Ok Kies does sync all of these things. It took 4 hours of tech support but it does sync with tasks, calendar, notes and contacts with Outlook. When you get a warning that half of your contacts have been deleted dont have a heart attack and just X it out. I cant believe it works!

I'm glad you finally got it to work. 👍😊

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781