1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Changing the default download directory

Hi guys,
    I'm new to the Android central community, but I was hoping y'all help me out. I just bought myself a new 64 gb micro sd card and I want to change the download directory to a folder on the new card.
    I've gone to my files and set the home directory to extsdcard/download, but all the downloads still go to the folder on my internal memory.
    Any idea how I can do this without having to download an app? I feel like I should be able to accomplish this without a 3rd party solution.
    Thanks!!

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

Default Re: Changing the default download directory

Quote Originally Posted by hqi1321 View Post
    Hi guys,
    I'm new to the Android central community, but I was hoping y'all help me out. I just bought myself a new 64 gb micro sd card and I want to change the download directory to a folder on the new card.
    I've gone to my files and set the home directory to extsdcard/download, but all the downloads still go to the folder on my internal memory.
    Any idea how I can do this without having to download an app? I feel like I should be able to accomplish this without a 3rd party solution.
    Thanks!!

Welcome to the forums and I hope you're here to stay!

You should check this maybe.

It should be similar to the Galaxy S4.

If you are downloading from a browser, you can change the directory in the settings.
    Ex. Google Chrome, Firefox, Boat Browser, etc.
    Last edited by wizzrah; 12-27-2013 at 02:17 AM.
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix

Global Posts
    4,080 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Welcome to the forums!
    Sorry but I've never done that. But the poster above me 👆 is right, it should work with the GS4.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    2,695 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodefireX One XL 4.4.2

If that didn't work, then I think the easiest way would just be to download something like ES File Explorer and transfer the files there.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk
    It is our choices, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. - J. K Rowling

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of." - Bruce Lee

"The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye." - Jimi Hendrix
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

That's the frustrating part, I'd found that exact website and followed the instructions. Right now, the directory is set to the sd card buuut everything still downloads to the old folder; and if I delete the old download folder it shows up again once I download something.
    There's no reason why it shouldn't work, except that it doesn't.

Also, I've checked out es explorer and it looks great actually, but I figure I should be able to fix it without an extra app

Either way, thanks for replying!

Global Posts
    4,080 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by hqi1321 View Post
    That's the frustrating part, I'd found that exact website and followed the instructions. Right now, the directory is set to the sd card buuut everything still downloads to the old folder; and if I delete the old download folder it shows up again once I download something.
    There's no reason why it shouldn't work, except that it doesn't.

Also, I've checked out es explorer and it looks great actually, but I figure I should be able to fix it without an extra app

Either way, thanks for replying!

No problem! 👍😃

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!