Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Dave-in-Decatur
  • 1 Post By tem#AC
  • 1 Post By Dave-in-Decatur
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google Now is a bit too clever...

I know I have thread diarrhoea, but bare with me. I was searching symptoms of being ill and Google Now generated a card routing me to a pharmacy (unfortunately it's 4 hours away as I think that's where I told it my house was). Was the pharmacy card generated because I was looking up symptoms of my cold?

Don't know whether to be impressed or freaked out, but all I can say Google Now is awesome! Since I started using it it's been getting better, doubt Siri can match this (which I used to want so much). Anyone had Google Now take initiative and do stuff like this?

Global Posts
    205 Global Posts

Default Re: Google Now is a bit too clever...

That's cool!
    I don't know if it matches what you mentioned, but I once searched for a football team and got their live scores & game schedule!
    But I must mention my best time using google now was telling it supercalifragelisticespialidocious (from Mary Poppins) and hearing how Google Now said it... LOL

Global Posts
    13,914 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by Edible Walrus View Post
    I know I have thread diarrhoea, but bare with me. I was searching symptoms of being ill and Google Now generated a card routing me to a pharmacy (unfortunately it's 4 hours away as I think that's where I told it my house was). Was the pharmacy card generated because I was looking up symptoms of my cold?

Don't know whether to be impressed or freaked out, but all I can say Google Now is awesome! Since I started using it it's been getting better, doubt Siri can match this (which I used to want so much). Anyone had Google Now take initiative and do stuff like this?
    That is evidence of Now being proactive instead of Siri being reactive. Because of so many searches for colds Now thought it best to tell you where a pharmacy was.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

That's interesting, I look up diseases all the time and Google doesn't say anything about it. O_o But it does want me to watch my favorite TV shows.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

I've had it do a few things like that. Unfortunately, they're more cool than actually useful to me. I'd have to be traveling for any of the navigation cards like that to be useful and that (I know all of the pharmacies, restaurants and gas stations are near my house already).

No card for me. Just ads at the top and the answer further down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Now is a bit too clever...-uploadfromtaptalk1388959899441.jpg  

No, SIRI does not do stuff like that, since it is not made to do that (predictive). As an Android and iOS user I see the two products as being quite different each with its own merits, and not always comparable. I see Siri I still being better with 'on device' assistance and Google Now king with web search and predictive help.

Since the app (Google Search) was updated on the iPhone, with notifications etc, I find I use it more often now, bit for different tasks as compared to my use for SIRI.

All IMHO at least.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

There's only one problem with Google search now, it shows what it thinks I want but it really doesn't predict that well. I want searches to return the objective results. Not only the results based on my buying history.

This won't help with the Google Search app, but for searching in a browser (mobile or PC), makes a point of not tracking your searches and not filtering results based on what it thinks you want to see. And they do have an , though I haven't tried it yet.
    Thanked by:
    mrsmumbles likes this.

I just found this to be freaky, but cool........ Today using my desk top I searched for a local Chinese Restruant to see if they offered any coupons online. I also received a call on my cell from my dentist office to set up an appointment. I just now happened to check the "Google" app/icon on my S4 and the first two cards that showed up were directions and travel times to both the restruant and the dentist office. I'll be sure not to schedule bathroom visits on my phone (or computer) since I really don't need Google Now asking me if I washed my hands!!
    mrsmumbles likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tem#AC View Post
    I just found this to be freaky, but cool........ Today using my desk top I searched for a local Chinese Restruant to see if they offered any coupons online. I also received a call on my cell from my dentist office to set up an appointment. I just now happened to check the "Google" app/icon on my S4 and the first two cards that showed up were directions and travel times to both the restruant and the dentist office. I'll be sure not to schedule bathroom visits on my phone (or computer) since I really don't need Google Now asking me if I washed my hands!!
    So now Google is tapping our phone calls too?! Not cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-in-Decatur View Post
    This won't help with the Google Search app, but for searching in a browser (mobile or PC), makes a point of not tracking your searches and not filtering results based on what it thinks you want to see. And they do have an , though I haven't tried it yet.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to check this out. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fr0gburp3r View Post
    It also reads your emails - whenever I order something online from Amazon or eBay, cards will pop up telling me my orders are dispatched. It's the same with booking travel tickets, it checks the schedule automatically & notifies of any delays.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post
    It also reads your emails - whenever I order something online from Amazon or eBay, cards will pop up telling me my orders are dispatched. It's the same with booking travel tickets, it checks the schedule automatically & notifies of any delays.

It's a good think that only works for Gmail.

I still don't trust ir

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by roguetrader View Post

There's no one actually reading or listening though. It's just the search engine grabbing names of stores, delivery services, items, etc. The NSA might be reading, listening, and watching though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    There's no one actually reading or listening though. It's just the search engine grabbing names of stores, delivery services, items, etc. The NSA might be reading, listening, and watching though.

This. I wouldn't be surprised if it searched the number and knew it was a dentist...

It isn't listening to the phone call.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
    Thanked by:

So if I received an email that contains sexual subject matter, will I see cards with directions to novelty shops nearby?

So if I received an email that contains sexual subject matter, will I see cards with directions to novelty shops nearby?
    Probably not unless you do searches for those products or buy any online. :-)

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by tem#AC View Post
    The restaurant card, of course, comes from having searched using Google. The dentist card, I would guess, comes from having added the appointment in your calendar, not from the phone call itself. At least I hope not. But yeah, I definitely wouldn't put "go to the loo" in my calendar. Google Now would surely pop up a "Leave now to get to the loo on time" card. And/or an ad for Depends.
    mrsmumbles likes this.