Re-hiding Developer options

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, I turned on Developer Mode by going into Settings > More > About device and tapping Build number 7 times. Didn't see anything there I really wanted or needed to do, so I would like to turn it off. I turned off the options as such by using the slider at the top of the Developer options screen. However, I'd like to hide the Developer options section altogether, as it was before I did this; but I can't find out how.

I did find this thread, whose best ideas are to do a factory reset (overkill for me for this purpose) and to clear the cache and data of the Settings app itself. I tried the latter, but the button to clear data is grayed out, and clearing the cache has no effect.

So, is there any other way to do this, short of a factory reset? Thanks!

mhinc

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, I turned on Developer Mode by going into Settings > More > About device and tapping Build number 7 times. Didn't see anything there I really wanted or needed to do, so I would like to turn it off. I turned off the options as such by using the slider at the top of the Developer options screen. However, I'd like to hide the Developer options section altogether, as it was before I did this; but I can't find out how.

I did find this thread, whose best ideas are to do a factory reset (overkill for me for this purpose) and to clear the cache and data of the Settings app itself. I tried the latter, but the button to clear data is grayed out, and clearing the cache has no effect.

So, is there any other way to do this, short of a factory reset? Thanks!

Clearing cache or data won't do anything. You simply have to do a Factory Restore.

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
In the upper right corner of the developer options screen, there is a on/off toggle button. However, when you toggle off, all of the options you have set revert to default. When you toggle it back on again, you'll have to redo any changes ... they're not saved from last time. When you toggle it back on it also shows a warning that adjusting these options can cause problems (I don't recall seeing that warning the first time I turned it on by tapping multiple times on baseband).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
As I mentioned, I already turned off the toggle slider. I'm trying to lose the thing altogether. I just checked, and there isn't a Reset (or anything else) on the Menu key in Developer options.

Perhaps it does come down to a factory reset, which I'm not going to hassle with just for this. A good lesson learned on not doing anything on my phone that I don't know how to undo!

Melinium

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
the developper menu is hidden again when you install an update, after installing 4.3 i have to click seven time on the build number to get back the options

Dave-in-Decatur

Feb 4, 2012
Visit site
As I said in my original post, I've seen advice
to clear the cache and data of the Settings app itself. I tried the latter, but the button to clear data is grayed out, and clearing the cache has no effect.
Some phones, apparently, have the option to clear data in the Settings app. My Verizon S4 does not.

thephilster

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Have the same problem. It seems the USB debugging option greys out (and disables) after a few uses of the development tool, and the phone has to be hard reset to get it back. Then, of course, after a while, it greys out the option again. Debugging is one thing, I do a backup of everything so a hard reset is just a pain. But I do notice it happens just before Verizon wants to install "phone software to allow communication with your device" Whether you do that or not, the USB debugging option is greyed out.

Just an observation on my part! :-[

vasanthkmr134

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks friend, but one more help, i unlocked my htc m8 for expect to update lollipop and do proper way but finally it show fail not updated. Why it happen?

PankajMehta

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
1. Go to settings
2. Click on more
3. Click on application manager
4. Click All
5 scroll down and click on settings
6. Lastly click on clear data
Enjoy. Your Developer option is hidden again.

Kolts45

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. Looks like my options are do a factory reset or pray for an OTA update. Think I'll just live with it instead! :D

Hey Dave I just did same thing but if you go to applications then chose application manager the go to settings icon and chose that then click storage and clear data and it will get rid of it. Even samsung didn't know this and just said factory reset is the only way but if you do the above you will see it will get rid of it.

Feemy82

Jul 3, 2014
Visit site
The Clear Data button is greyed out. Why??
It's never been greyed out on my previous phones. This is an LG V20.

Any fix other then factory reset?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie