Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Re-hiding Developer options

Just out of curiosity, I turned on Developer Mode by going into Settings > More > About device and tapping Build number 7 times. Didn't see anything there I really wanted or needed to do, so I would like to turn it off. I turned off the options as such by using the slider at the top of the Developer options screen. However, I'd like to hide the Developer options section altogether, as it was before I did this; but I can't find out how.

I did find this thread, whose best ideas are to do a factory reset (overkill for me for this purpose) and to clear the cache and data of the Settings app itself. I tried the latter, but the button to clear data is grayed out, and clearing the cache has no effect.

So, is there any other way to do this, short of a factory reset? Thanks!

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Default Re: Re-hiding Developer options

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-in-Decatur View Post
    Just out of curiosity, I turned on Developer Mode by going into Settings > More > About device and tapping Build number 7 times. Didn't see anything there I really wanted or needed to do, so I would like to turn it off. I turned off the options as such by using the slider at the top of the Developer options screen. However, I'd like to hide the Developer options section altogether, as it was before I did this; but I can't find out how.

I did find this thread, whose best ideas are to do a factory reset (overkill for me for this purpose) and to clear the cache and data of the Settings app itself. I tried the latter, but the button to clear data is grayed out, and clearing the cache has no effect.

So, is there any other way to do this, short of a factory reset? Thanks!
    Clearing cache or data won't do anything. You simply have to do a Factory Restore.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---

Global Posts
    6,341 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

If, while in Developer options, you press the menu key is there an option to "Reset" Developer mode?
    Live long and prosper.

In the upper right corner of the developer options screen, there is a on/off toggle button. However, when you toggle off, all of the options you have set revert to default. When you toggle it back on again, you'll have to redo any changes ... they're not saved from last time. When you toggle it back on it also shows a warning that adjusting these options can cause problems (I don't recall seeing that warning the first time I turned it on by tapping multiple times on baseband).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by electricpete; 12-28-2013 at 02:10 PM.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

As I mentioned, I already turned off the toggle slider. I'm trying to lose the thing altogether. I just checked, and there isn't a Reset (or anything else) on the Menu key in Developer options.

Perhaps it does come down to a factory reset, which I'm not going to hassle with just for this. A good lesson learned on not doing anything on my phone that I don't know how to undo!

Global Posts
    325 Global Posts

the developper menu is hidden again when you install an update, after installing 4.3 i have to click seven time on the build number to get back the options
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks, everyone. Looks like my options are do a factory reset or pray for an OTA update. Think I'll just live with it instead!

Check this video:

Talking Re: Re-hiding Developer options

Great video this worked for me,thanks.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

As I said in my original post, I've seen advice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-in-Decatur View Post
    to clear the cache and data of the Settings app itself. I tried the latter, but the button to clear data is grayed out, and clearing the cache has no effect.
    Some phones, apparently, have the option to clear data in the Settings app. My Verizon S4 does not.

You can use this free app: Hide Developer (Play Store)
    Thanked by:

Have the same problem. It seems the USB debugging option greys out (and disables) after a few uses of the development tool, and the phone has to be hard reset to get it back. Then, of course, after a while, it greys out the option again. Debugging is one thing, I do a backup of everything so a hard reset is just a pain. But I do notice it happens just before Verizon wants to install "phone software to allow communication with your device" Whether you do that or not, the USB debugging option is greyed out.

Just an observation on my part!