Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Remove Email contacts in SMS contact list

Hi!

I would just like to ask if someone else had the problem of email contacts showing up in your SMS contact list and how you managed to remove them. I've disabled sync for all my email accounts since the beginning (from the first time I added the account to my phone) and have never enabled it. Also, I have tried setting the phone book to show only contacts with phone numbers and setting the phone book to show only contacts saved to my phone/device memory but whenever I open the Contacts list via the default SMS app, all the extra contacts from my GMail account show up and sometimes I end up adding the email contact instead of the phone. It's so frustrating since a lot of my email contact list are either from strangers I've emailed only once a long time before OR old email addresses of my actual contacts (thus my confusion with the names) that they're not using OR old yahoogroups/school-related email addresses OR service-related addresses like Booking.com and such, since the account I am using with Google Play is the one I've used since I was in High School. It's just too much clutter in my phonebook.

And it's only happening on my SMS contact list. My actual phone's contact list via the default Phone app is clean. -_-

Thanks in advance for the help.

Global Posts
    5,340 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Default Re: Remove Email contacts in SMS contact list

Welcome to the forums!
    Since I let all my contacts sync I never thought about this.
    I'm about to go to bed, but I'll check into it tomorrow and post back. Sorry I can't give you any further assistance at the moment.

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!

Did you ever find a solution to this? I can't seem to find one anywhere, and I'm obviously the only one bothered by this "feature"

A couple of thoughts. This is something that the SMS app is doing, not the phone or contacts apps, so settings made elsewhere won't help. There are probably only two things you can do about it: (1) Set aside an otherwise unused block of time (say, a staff meeting at work ), go through your Gmail account, and delete, delete, delete. Get rid of contacts, e-mail addresses, etc., that you don't really need, and you won't be bothered by them. Or (2) I haven't tried them, but I know there are other SMS apps available in Google Play, and one of them might have configuration options that would help you deal with this. Best of luck!

Anybody fix this? Having the same problem, restarting phone does nothing, unsyncing to google does nothing, clearing message app data does nothing...