Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Texting Problem on Galaxy S4

Does the texting app seriously need to audibly notify me every time a new message comes in when I'm inside the freaking text app? This is where the iPhone shines, IMO. Hey phone, you're in my ******* hand, I'm looking at you, I'm in a conversation with that person and you're ******* alerting me of a new message from them?!

How can I have a texting conversation with someone without alerting everyone in the room of it? Oh yeah, I just have to turn everything the **** down?! Great!

Can someone tell me if there is a fix for this?
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Texting Problem on Galaxy S4

No looking good with so many views and no responses. =(

Never bothered me....until you brought it up! :-(
    lol
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

When you're in a conversation with someone you don't need an alert every time a new message comes in! That's annoying! Sure alert me when the texting app is closed but geez...
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Bump

Hi. There should be an option to turn off alerts in that app. What options do you get when you tap the menu button (three dots)?

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Within the settings of the text app and under Notification Settings I can enable or disable "Notifications: Make sounds and show icon in the status bar when you receive message."

There are no other options. Other than another texting app which I haven't looked much into. Was hoping others have traveled this path before and could offer some suggestions. I guess I'm the first person to have issue with being audibly alerted when I'm texting with someone.

No, most will give the sound alerts. Try a different app. Whatsapp, Textra, Hello, Handcent, 8ms, are all some of the popular ones. Try one and if you don't like it, try another. They probably have more and better settings options. That's the joy of Android.

Just want to add that although they allow for sound alerts I'm pretty sure they can be turned off on the SMS apps' settings.

Global Posts
    168 Global Posts

Try using Hangouts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I assume you're using the stock app? I recommending changing to a third-party app and shutting down the stock app. I don't think I've EVER used the stock app in any phone that I've had.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmumbles View Post
    No, most will give the sound alerts. Try a different app. Whatsapp, Textra, Hello, Handcent, 8ms, are all some of the popular ones. Try one and if you don't like it, try another. They probably have more and better settings options. That's the joy of Android.

Textra will not to my knowledge so long as you're in the thread when it receives a new message

Posted via Android Central App