Screen Randomly Dimming

endright

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys. I have searched the issue but none of the previous threads were of any help.

I have only had the phone for about a month and a half. This issue recently started. No matter what I am doing, whether I am in the browser or an app, the screen will randomly dim and after awhile return to its set brightness setting. Auto brightness is off. Auto adjust screen tone is unchecked. Screen timeout is set to 1 minute. I also played around with the different screen modes/adaptive display.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit. Just noticed that there is no issue when it is plugged in. Interesting.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I'm not familiar with the S4's settings, but check to see if there are various settings for Power Saving. I recall that the stock Browser on some devices have an option to dim the screen while a page is loading, as a way of saving power--perhaps that's part of what's happening? Although I realize that you said it happens when you're in an app, too. Could it be that it's dimming for a few seconds right before the screen is about to sleep, based on your 1 minute screen sleep setting?

endright

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that all power saving options are not enabled. With the screen time out. There are times when it dims within seconds of me stopping from touching the screen. There is really no rhyme or reason when it comes to when it dims.

endright

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I was afraid of having to send it in. I will try a factory reset and if that doesn't work then I will try to have it replaced. Thanks again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol