Speed Dial Confusion

sevargmt

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
I have a new S4 and am trying to figure out how to setup the speed dial. What I'm having trouble with is when I have a contact with more than one phone number - a house number, cell number, work number, etc. On my old HTC Merge phone when I set a speed dial and selected the contact I would be asked WHICH of the different numbers to use. The S4 automatically picks the "default". What if I want the house number to be on speed dial "3" and the work number to be on speed dial "9"??? Without creating completely separate contacts? As advanced as the S4 seems to be if it can't do that I'm going to be disappointed.

Thanks for any help!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Use the "Direct Dial" widget--when you place this widget on the homescreen, it will ask you to select a contact and a specific phone number, so when you tap that widget, it wlll be a one-touch call.

sevargmt

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I figured out the "work around". I had to set the home phone number as the default in the contact then assign that contact to a speed dial number. Then I changed the default in the contact to the other number (cell) I often call. Then I assigned that contact to a second speed dial number - it used the cell number on the 2nd speed dial assignment. Wonder why it's not simpler???

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It's simple on my Nexus 5 using the stock Direct Dial widget. You're definitely using that specific widget?

Posted via Android Central App