Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: So long Android, Again...

Quote Originally Posted by BB fan forever View Post
    Try the Moto X or the Nexus 5. Those are the best Android phones to date currently. They all blow the Samsung S4 away.
    You forgot to add "in your opinion."
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display
    STARGATE likes this.

No 4.3, however will you live?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mynameis... View Post
    I would recommend trying a different android device other than Samsung before giving up on Android completely. Pick up a Moto X or Nexus 5 and experience Vanilla Android. Its far better. Samsung, HTC, etc all out their own UI on their phones and I don't believe they do android any justice. Just my opinion though.

Anyway, good luck with Apple!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    I agree with this to a point, for people who love to tinker, and Hardcore power users, but I don't find sense or TW to be a problem on the higher spec phones, for someone who just wants to grab and go I think they actually work very well, that is what sets android apart, we have these options. ..

Try the Moto X or the Nexus 5. Those are the best Android phones to date currently. They all blow the Samsung S4 away.
    Gotta disagree with you there. I bought the X during the Black Friday sale and sold my Galaxy S3 to finance it. After a month I knew it wasn't for me. I was able to find someone on Craigslist to trade me their Galaxy S4 for the X and I'm glad I did. I always THOUGHT I wanted stock Android but boy was I wrong. I also can't believe how bad the X camera is, even after the update.

As for iOS, After 2 years with The Droid Eris, Droid Incredible and Droid Razr, I THOUGHT I wanted an iPhone so I got the 4S. After 6 months I trade it for the Galaxy S3 (that I just sold for the X) and I'll never go back. My son had the iPhone 4 and then got the 5. He couldn't wait to get rid of it and got the S4 for Christmas.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by vjr021 View Post
    I WANTED to make this work, I really did... I was all excited about the S4 being water resistant, great screen, the Smart Dock accessories... It all seemed great.

Then I found out, no 4.3. No Galaxy Gear. No communication on when things can be expected.

Sadly, I will be selling my S4 and all the fun toys I have bought... It might not be fair to Samsung, or Android, but I can't shake the fact there are still updates that need to be addressed, and nothing has been done about it.

Again, I might be wrong, I might be missing something, but from where I stand, all the hype has been just that.

iOS is FAR from perfect, but at least they are all in it together.

Maybe the S5 will be better...
    Might want to wait.

Nope, it's not KitKat, but hey, beggars owners of older Android handsets can't be choosers. If you've been using AT&T's version of the Samsung's waterproof Galaxy S4 Active, you're in luck: Android 4.3 is starting to roll out in the form of an over-the-air update. As you're probably aware by now, the update keeps the phone in Jelly Bean territory, but brings a good deal of improvements, including OpenGL ES 3.0 support, Bluetooth Smart technology, enhanced notifications and 1080p Netflix streaming. Good luck with that 772MB download, and do let us know how it goes.

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by UJ95x View Post
    Yeah. It's somewhat of a mess.
    That's why I am sticking to the Nexus line or Moto X from now on...

Posted via Android Central App
    Not as bad as it used to be, my most recent purchase was the Z1 and they announced kit kat for next month. It's already rolling out on the note 3 too. The OP just made a bad purchase choice.
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.

Global Posts
    5,580 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    Not as bad as it used to be, my most recent purchase was the Z1 and they announced kit kat for next month. It's already rolling out on the note 3 too. The OP just made a bad purchase choice.
    Not as bad but still pretty bad. Those phones are getting Kit Kat soon because they just got released. Kit Kat has been out for 2 months and none of the phones released since have come with it.
    By the time 5.0 or whatever the next update is, the phones getting KK this month or next month will have to wait months to get it, while the Nexus and Moto line get it within weeks.

Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever

I'm running 4.3 with galaxy gear... But it does cause me some issues! When connected to galaxy gear my S4 main speaker gets disabled and all the audio routes through the phones ear piece! Try it with YouTube! Anyone else?

That was one of the things I was upset about... With Android its always someone else's fault. Samsung should place pressure on the carrier, or vice versa.

Again, Apple isn't perfect, but if there is an update, everyone gets it, if there is something wrong, everyone is without. You don't have the "grass is greener on the other side" you get with Android.

I will keep trying, because there are features I really like, but I think they need to work on being on the same page.
    Apple is on the same page because you have just ONE choice of OS that comes straight from the OEM. I don't see how you expect all the different flavors of Android to get updated at the exact same time with all the variants of hardware, software and the sheer number of companies involved. It's an internal vs. external thing. What you are asking for is impossible.

And really, why are people so upset when others get something and they don't....seems rather silly. If your phone worked for you fine on day one, then you should still be happy with it. Not unhappy because others have something you don't.
    If I wanted limits on what I could do with a device, I would have an iPhone!

I WANTED to make this work, I really did... I was all excited about the S4 being water resistant, great screen, the Smart Dock accessories... It all seemed great.

Then I found out, no 4.3. No Galaxy Gear. No communication on when things can be expected.

Sadly, I will be selling my S4 and all the fun toys I have bought... It might not be fair to Samsung, or Android, but I can't shake the fact there are still updates that need to be addressed, and nothing has been done about it.

Again, I might be wrong, I might be missing something, but from where I stand, all the hype has been just that.

Go to settings on your phone then about phone and check for the update manually , you never know it could be waiting for ya to manually check..

sent from my Nexus 7 using tapatalk pro..

Some are going to tell you stock android is great and updates will come etc.

Perhaps the UI differs but apps and core OS remains same.

iOS 7 came to iPhone 4 but it has missing features :
    No facetime on cellular, No Voice Dictation, No voice Navigation on maps, no airdrop, less parallax effects, No Siri etc.

All are such basic features missing and also it has laggy performance.

My iPad 3 has many features missing as well and not to forget frame drops throughout the OS.
    My iPod touch 4th gen also many features missing on IOS 6.

So, If you are going switch to ios only for updates, you will regret it because if you want to get those missing features, jailbreak is required.

There are reasons to go for ios : smoother performance and exclusive apps and games, simpler Ui
    Reasons for Android : custom keyboards, launchers, live wallpapers, default apps can be changed, broader hardware choice, much more open.
    Last edited by Sanjay Chandra; 01-15-2014 at 04:24 AM.

I have an S3 and do NOT want updates. they keep telling me to update to 4.3......lot of problems, I am told, with the update.

I have 4.3. Has it for a while and now gearing up for 4.4 later this month. Get mad. At your carrier for not rolling it out, it's been available to the S4 for some time now

The tradeoff of not getting consistent updates from model to model and carrier to carrier is the choice of phone configurations that you get with Android.

Want a basic smartphone? Get a Moto G for less than $200 off contract. Want a top of the line phone, get the S4, One or G2. Or just get one of the many in between.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

can't go wrong with The HTC ONE or the MOTO X...I really dislike how locked down Apple is.
    ~ Still Waters Run Deep ~

Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

Not as bad but still pretty bad. Those phones are getting Kit Kat soon because they just got released. Kit Kat has been out for 2 months and none of the phones released since have come with it.
    By the time 5.0 or whatever the next update is, the phones getting KK this month or next month will have to wait months to get it, while the Nexus and Moto line get it within weeks.

I can't sympathize. Sony did such a precision job with their software that the last updates from Google have brought nothing of note. Quite the opposite, I've been enjoying the improvements SONY added along with the updates. Stock, or near-stock was only a selling point in 2012 and earlier when OEM forks sucked. That's no longer the case. Most stock Google apps are rather barebones and lacking compared to oem offerings. Furthermore as an OEM you'd be foolish to release your newest flagship with a 2 month old version of Android. There hasn't been a release of Android yet that hasn't required a couple of smaller patches to clean up bugs. If I were an OEM I would launch one version behind, wait for the newest one to get cleaned up and then go ahead and push it.
    Last edited by xchange; 01-15-2014 at 10:17 AM.
    The complacency about security among android users is disturbing.

Here is a radical idea. Don't buy Samsung if updates are important to you. Get a Nexus or a Motorola. Or even an HTC (far from perfect with updates, but much better than Samsung).

As stated you have the S4 Active and not the regular S4. Being that the S4 active is a specialty device, it is not going to have the attention or support that the regular S4 has. It's not in Samsung's best interest to pour resources into a device that they only sold a few of in comparison to the regular S4. As others have stated If you want a genuine android experience which gives you "Apple like" updates and no crapware to get in the way you want to try a Nexus or one of the new Moto devices.
    Nexus 5-Black
    Rooted 4.4.2
    TWRP

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Ha!
    Quote Originally Posted by salutcemoi View Post
    Yeah right

Posted from my SGH-I337M
    👍😆

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    MERCDROID likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jdevenberg View Post
    Here is a radical idea. Don't buy Samsung if updates are important to you. Get a Nexus or a Motorola. Or even an HTC (far from perfect with updates, but much better than Samsung).
    lol they are not going to update One X+ after 4.2.x and HTC's twitter/facebook account confirmed it. None of their 2012 smartphones are getting 4.4 (as far as I know)

Atleast Galaxy S3 and Note II are getting 4.4.x

Sony is better than HTC.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay Chandra View Post
    lol they are not going to update One X+ after 4.2.x and HTC's twitter/facebook account confirmed it. None of their 2012 smartphones are getting 4.4 (as far as I know)

Atleast Galaxy S3 and Note II are getting 4.4.x

Sony is better than HTC.
    To be fair, most of the 2012 models are beyond the 18 months of support that the Open Handset Alliance promises. The One X came out in April 2012 (One X+ was a refresh, not a new model IMO), making 18 months October 2013. The Droid DNA came out in 2012 (November or December) and it is getting 4.4. So HTC may not go past the 18 months support like Sony does, but you do get the 18 months you should expect.

You're not going to get KitKat on an iPhone either but best wishes with whatever you choose.

Global Posts
    4,101 Global Posts
    ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    You're not going to get KitKat on an iPhone either but best wishes with whatever you choose.
    Hahaha! LMAO!
    You're definitely right! 😉😆😅😂

Sent From Inside The TARDIS in a Galaxy S4 Away!
    If I'm very clever, and I'm more than clever, I'm brilliant! I might just save the World, or rip it apart!
    MERCDROID likes this.

For the most part, those delays are caused by the manufacturers and carriers adding their custom touches. Some are useful and some are bloatware but either way those custom touches delay updates. Fortunately, people can vote with their wallets these days. Unfortunately for some, it means living with the choices they made for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty502 View Post
    I agree with this to a point, for people who love to tinker, and Hardcore power users, but I don't find sense or TW to be a problem on the higher spec phones, for someone who just wants to grab and go I think they actually work very well, that is what sets android apart, we have these options. ..
    Like I said, everybody has their own opinions and I respect yours. When I first started out with android, I never got the "top if the line" phone until I got the LG G. Android wasn't doing it for me so I switched on over to the iPhone. I have to say, I did enjoy how simple iOS is. And the motto "it just works." Really does come into play about 98% of the time. But I recently picked up the Moto X and I can't see myself going back to Apple. If I had picked up say, a S4, my thoughts might be different.

But like I said, everybody had their own opinion and they're all welcomed.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast