So long Android, Again...

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Not as bad but still pretty bad. Those phones are getting Kit Kat soon because they just got released. Kit Kat has been out for 2 months and none of the phones released since have come with it.
By the time 5.0 or whatever the next update is, the phones getting KK this month or next month will have to wait months to get it, while the Nexus and Moto line get it within weeks.

Posted via Android Central App

I can't sympathize. Sony did such a precision job with their software that the last updates from Google have brought nothing of note. Quite the opposite, I've been enjoying the improvements SONY added along with the updates. Stock, or near-stock was only a selling point in 2012 and earlier when OEM forks sucked. That's no longer the case. Most stock Google apps are rather barebones and lacking compared to oem offerings. Furthermore as an OEM you'd be foolish to release your newest flagship with a 2 month old version of Android. There hasn't been a release of Android yet that hasn't required a couple of smaller patches to clean up bugs. If I were an OEM I would launch one version behind, wait for the newest one to get cleaned up and then go ahead and push it.

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I WANTED to make this work, I really did... I was all excited about the S4 being water resistant, great screen, the Smart Dock accessories... It all seemed great.

Then I found out, no 4.3. No Galaxy Gear. No communication on when things can be expected.

Sadly, I will be selling my S4 and all the fun toys I have bought... It might not be fair to Samsung, or Android, but I can't shake the fact there are still updates that need to be addressed, and nothing has been done about it.

Again, I might be wrong, I might be missing something, but from where I stand, all the hype has been just that.

iOS is FAR from perfect, but at least they are all in it together.

Maybe the S5 will be better...

Here is a radical idea. Don't buy Samsung if updates are important to you. Get a Nexus or a Motorola. Or even an HTC (far from perfect with updates, but much better than Samsung).

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I WANTED to make this work, I really did... I was all excited about the S4 being water resistant, great screen, the Smart Dock accessories... It all seemed great.

Then I found out, no 4.3. No Galaxy Gear. No communication on when things can be expected.

Sadly, I will be selling my S4 and all the fun toys I have bought... It might not be fair to Samsung, or Android, but I can't shake the fact there are still updates that need to be addressed, and nothing has been done about it.

Again, I might be wrong, I might be missing something, but from where I stand, all the hype has been just that.

iOS is FAR from perfect, but at least they are all in it together.

Maybe the S5 will be better...

As stated you have the S4 Active and not the regular S4. Being that the S4 active is a specialty device, it is not going to have the attention or support that the regular S4 has. It's not in Samsung's best interest to pour resources into a device that they only sold a few of in comparison to the regular S4. As others have stated If you want a genuine android experience which gives you "Apple like" updates and no crapware to get in the way you want to try a Nexus or one of the new Moto devices.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Here is a radical idea. Don't buy Samsung if updates are important to you. Get a Nexus or a Motorola. Or even an HTC (far from perfect with updates, but much better than Samsung).

lol they are not going to update One X+ after 4.2.x and HTC's twitter/facebook account confirmed it. None of their 2012 smartphones are getting 4.4 (as far as I know)

Atleast Galaxy S3 and Note II are getting 4.4.x

Sony is better than HTC.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
lol they are not going to update One X+ after 4.2.x and HTC's twitter/facebook account confirmed it. None of their 2012 smartphones are getting 4.4 (as far as I know)

Atleast Galaxy S3 and Note II are getting 4.4.x

Sony is better than HTC.

To be fair, most of the 2012 models are beyond the 18 months of support that the Open Handset Alliance promises. The One X came out in April 2012 (One X+ was a refresh, not a new model IMO), making 18 months October 2013. The Droid DNA came out in 2012 (November or December) and it is getting 4.4. So HTC may not go past the 18 months support like Sony does, but you do get the 18 months you should expect.

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
By the time 5.0 or whatever the next update is, the phones getting KK this month or next month will have to wait months to get it, while the Nexus and Moto line get it within weeks.
For the most part, those delays are caused by the manufacturers and carriers adding their custom touches. Some are useful and some are bloatware but either way those custom touches delay updates. Fortunately, people can vote with their wallets these days. Unfortunately for some, it means living with the choices they made for themselves.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I agree with this to a point, for people who love to tinker, and Hardcore power users, but I don't find sense or TW to be a problem on the higher spec phones, for someone who just wants to grab and go I think they actually work very well, that is what sets android apart, we have these options. ..

Like I said, everybody has their own opinions and I respect yours. When I first started out with android, I never got the "top if the line" phone until I got the LG G. Android wasn't doing it for me so I switched on over to the iPhone. I have to say, I did enjoy how simple iOS is. And the motto "it just works." Really does come into play about 98% of the time. But I recently picked up the Moto X and I can't see myself going back to Apple. If I had picked up say, a S4, my thoughts might be different.

But like I said, everybody had their own opinion and they're all welcomed.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Not as bad but still pretty bad. Those phones are getting Kit Kat soon because they just got released. Kit Kat has been out for 2 months and none of the phones released since have come with it.

Posted via Android Central App

And that's one of my reasons of picking up the Moto X. I'll be really surprised if the Moto's didn't get updated quickly.

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Like I said, everybody has their own opinions and I respect yours. When I first started out with android, I never got the "top if the line" phone until I got the LG G. Android wasn't doing it for me so I switched on over to the iPhone. I have to say, I did enjoy how simple iOS is. And the motto "it just works." Really does come into play about 98% of the time. But I recently picked up the Moto X and I can't see myself going back to Apple. If I had picked up say, a S4, my thoughts might be different.

And that is what makes android special, WE have a choice..... :)

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I don't wtf is happening to all companies but they are all using white backgrounds too much.

I like AMOLED display solely because I like darker backgrounds and AMOLEDs help to put deepest blacks.I bought 820 instead of Lumia 920 sacrificing all features only because of such display.

I hope Google and Apple add night theme or something to stock android and iOS 7 and release an AMOLED screen phone.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I don't wtf is happening to all companies but they are all using white backgrounds too much.

I like AMOLED display solely because I like darker backgrounds and AMOLEDs help to put deepest blacks.I bought 820 instead of Lumia 920 sacrificing all features only because of such display.

I hope Google and Apple add night theme or something to stock android and iOS 7 and release an AMOLED screen phone.

The Moto X has a 720x1280 AMOLED screen if you didn't know. Dark colors look freaking awesome on this phone.

Sanjay Chandra

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
The Moto X has a 720x1280 AMOLED screen if you didn't know. Dark colors look freaking awesome on this phone.

If that was launched in my country , I would have bought it.

Motorola has no operations in Asia , they shut down all except service centers.

EDIT : I really wonder if after-sales support would be as awesome as Samsung and Apple.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure but what's the use of AMOLED display if all backgrounds are white ? Does Moto X offer customized UI with dark backgrounds ? (for example SMS) (just curious)

Ah, I see what you're saying. Currently not sure if they're are any ways to customize the UI without a downloaded launcher or rooting your device. But to be honest, the white doesn't look awful. Even for SMS. But I'm with you, a dark theme would be nice. :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Enjoy your iPhone.. I know I personally wouldn't.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze