1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Randomly Restarting By Its Self

For the past two days I've been having a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 randomly restarting on it's own when ever it's left idle. When left idle with a locked or unlocked screen, it tends to spontaneously restart on it's own every 30 minutes or so. It will vibrate twice then the screen goes black. It comes back on immediately, displaying the word Samsung in regular font and an unlocked lock symbol under it that says "custom", which it doesn't normally do when I prompt my phone to restart myself, then proceeds to the normal Samsung animation, AT&T start up animation and start up tone. When I prompt the phone to restart it doesn't show the abnormal "custom" message when turning back on. It's pretty annoying and I've had to leave my phone off during the day so that it won't constantly make noise and vibrate because it't turning off and on repeatedly on it's own and in religious time intervals. How can I get my phone to stop restarting like this or what has caused it to do this?
    Last edited by KayEverStruggle; 01-15-2014 at 10:24 AM.

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Default Re: Randomly Restarting By Its Self

Quote Originally Posted by KayEverStruggle View Post
    For the past two days I've been having a problem with my Samsung Galaxy S4 randomly restarting on it's own when ever it's left idle. When left idle with a locked or unlocked screen, it tends to spontaneously restart on it's own every 30 minutes or so. It will vibrate twice then the screen goes black. It comes back on immediately, displaying the word Samsung in regular font and an unlocked lock symbol under it that says "unlocked", which it doesn't normally do when I prompt my phone to restart myself, then proceeds to the normal Samsung animation, AT&T start up animation and start up tone. When I prompt the phone to restart it doesn't show the abnormal "unlocked" message when turning back on. It's pretty annoying and I've had to leave my phone off during the day so that it won't constantly make noise and vibrate because it't turning off and on repeatedly on it's own and in religious time intervals. How can I get my phone to stop restarting like this or what has caused it to do this?
    Welcome to the forums.
    I think perhaps rebooting into recovery and clearing cache might help you. This should work: [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here

Could be caused by the famous Galaxy S4 battery problem. Does it happen while connected to the charger?
    Take a look at the battery to see whether it is swelling up.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I tried to clear the cache like you suggested but it says error when I accept the option then returns to normal interface.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

This problem happens when on or off the charger, but the first time it happened it was on the charger. I've looked at the battery and it appears to still be in it's normal shape.

Quote Originally Posted by KayEverStruggle View Post
    This problem happens when on or off the charger, but the first time it happened it was on the charger. I've looked at the battery and it appears to still be in it's normal shape.
    You need to test the battery by putting it on a flat smooth surface and flicking a corner. If it spins easily it has swollen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    14,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by RobTheJones View Post
    Could be caused by the famous Galaxy S4 battery problem. Does it happen while connected to the charger?
    Take a look at the battery to see whether it is swelling up.
    Good point. Trying to spin the battery on a table will show it swelling too.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu 'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here