S-Voice "voice type" WILL NOT change!

rmausser

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I really hate the robotic voice of S-Voice.

So I learned how you can download and install high-quality voices in the "Language and Input > Text to Speech" settings of the phone.

I downloaded and installed the High Quality US voice, applied. Nothing. Still robotic voice in S-Voice and Google Maps etc.

I downloaded and installed the High Quality UK voice. applied. Nothing. Still robotic voice in S-Voice and Google Maps etc.

Its weird because in the "Listen to Example" in the Text-To-Speech options it works great, I can hear the new voice.

Elsewhere its no-go.

What gives??

vicfcano

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Posted this in Jan and no reply huh? I'm new to android and find this out too with my Note 3 and, suffice it to say, I have the exact same problem. Were you able to figure out this little hick up? (If you don't mind my asking of course)

vicfcano

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
Try IVONA text to speech. Much better voice than the galaxy robot

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for the suggestion Joe. I gave getting a third part app a thought (and that's what I'll probably end up doing) but things like this tends to bother me to no end. Why in the world doesn't my phone work the way it's supposed to?

Casio750

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Did you ever find out how to change the S-Voice's voice? No matter what I try, it continues to use the old Samsung text to speech engine.

ladix

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I know this was started in January but I thought I'd create an account and let everyone know what worked for me - since searching for a solution brought me here and it looks like someone else recently came here with this question.

After I downloaded the HD tts files, I tested it in S Voice and got the same old voice.
While in S Voice I hit the menu button and chose Settings. It brought up an S Voice settings menu.
From there I selected language. (which will be set to whatever your default language is. For me it was English (United States))
I then select another language. As soon as I selected it I was taken back to the S Voice Settings menu.
I selected language again and set it back to English (United States)

When I tested S Voice again that horrible robotic voice was gone.

Now to figure out that horrible Google Maps navigation voice that's still there....

Oh and good luck. I hope this works for you.

nabenking

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
I know this was started in January but I thought I'd create an account and let everyone know what worked for me - since searching for a solution brought me here and it looks like someone else recently came here with this question.

After I downloaded the HD tts files, I tested it in S Voice and got the same old voice.
While in S Voice I hit the menu button and chose Settings. It brought up an S Voice settings menu.
From there I selected language. (which will be set to whatever your default language is. For me it was English (United States))
I then select another language. As soon as I selected it I was taken back to the S Voice Settings menu.

Now to figure out that horrible Google Maps navigation voice that's still there....

I had the same problem, and tried your fix, but now text to speak won't work in any language :-( considering updating to lolly pop even though it broke my wife's phone. Doesn't everyone love Samsung right now... [edit: text to speech works again after restart, but the voice will not change from default]

Last edited:

Temporary Setback

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site

I tied this, no luck. Thank you for taking the time to make the suggestion though.

I wonder if my carrier has anything to do with it!?

Last edited:

MegaAndroid

Jan 4, 2016
Visit site
I really hate the robotic voice of S-Voice.

So I learned how you can download and install high-quality voices in the "Language and Input > Text to Speech" settings of the phone.

I downloaded and installed the High Quality US voice, applied. Nothing. Still robotic voice in S-Voice and Google Maps etc.

I downloaded and installed the High Quality UK voice. applied. Nothing. Still robotic voice in S-Voice and Google Maps etc.

Its weird because in the "Listen to Example" in the Text-To-Speech options it works great, I can hear the new voice.

Elsewhere its no-go.

What gives??

I have the same problem, and I want (her) to speak Japanese (don't ask me why, I think it's cute), but the HD voice is not bad, but still robotic. Google's TTS engine is fine, but S Voice REFUSES to use it. Just uses Samsung's engine. Probably won't change because of your choice of carrier (I have no carrier but it's a Telus device). Come ON Samsung, give us the Galaxy S5 voice!

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza