Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kelsiemccormick
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Pleeease HELP! I got my S4 wet.

I work at a resturant and I had my phone in my pocket and a glass of water literally spilled directly into my pocket with the phone. So I took it out, dried the phone off, the took it apart and wiped down all the wet parts I could see. Then I put it in rice for about an hour or so, then I tried to turn it back on, because it wasnt wet for that long so I didnt think the damage would be too bad. Anyways, it turned on perfectly fine, it just wouldnt let me swipe to unlock it. So I put it in rice over night and I turned it on this morning and it let me unlock it and I could open things fine, but then the top notification bar would randomly open a little bit and it would open random things and Im pretty sure I didnt press anything to make it change screens. So I put it back in rice and Im wondering if its still savagable? And how much longer should I keep it in rice? If I keep it in for another 10 or 12 hours do you think it will work completely properly? I've only had it for 6 days and I dont wanna pay another 150 for a new one.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-22-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Global Posts
    4,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

Default Re: Pleeease HELP! I got my s4 wet.

It honestly sounds like it's messed up.

If a phone gets wet, you should take the battery out right away and put it in rice or at least 24 hours without turning it on.
    "The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

But its working better now than it did before

ive pulled the old toilet drop once on a droid...I left it in rice for 18 hours the first time and then tried to use it...was getting very similar problems...put it back in rice for 18 hours....(i had a backup) and after one or two restarts..it smoothed back out for me. Put it in the rice...you have some residual moisture in there...if you keep using it you will damage it...gotta give it a chance to dry out completely!

Quote Originally Posted by kelsiemccormick View Post
    I work at a resturant and I had my phone in my pocket and a glass of water literally spilled directly into my pocket with the phone. So I took it out, dried the phone off, the took it apart and wiped down all the wet parts I could see. Then I put it in rice for about an hour or so, then I tried to turn it back on, because it wasnt wet for that long so I didnt think the damage would be too bad. Anyways, it turned on perfectly fine, it just wouldnt let me swipe to unlock it. So I put it in rice over night and I turned it on this morning and it let me unlock it and I could open things fine, but then the top notification bar would randomly open a little bit and it would open random things and Im pretty sure I didnt press anything to make it change screens. So I put it back in rice and Im wondering if its still savagable? And how much longer should I keep it in rice? If I keep it in for another 10 or 12 hours do you think it will work completely properly? I've only had it for 6 days and I dont wanna pay another 150 for a new one.
    ~ Still Waters Run Deep ~
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

So leaving it in the rice longer might be able to save it?

Global Posts
    4,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

As long as you don't turn it on again and just let it dry out you might be able to save it.

Sent from my KitKat powered Note 2

It saved my Droid RAZR....once a little moisture works it way in...(which unfortunately, you and I both helped it by turning phone on and warming it up...which allowed the moisture to travel into the guts), its tough and time consuming to get out...but if youre patient...it will come out! Rice is amazing..it WILL pull the moisture out..just give it time! (whats 24 hours compared to the cost of the device?) *Grins*

Global Posts
    16,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Carbon ROM

Welcome to the forums.
    At this point because the phone was tuned back on so quickly, I think permanent damage was done. It may be possible to have it repaired, but that may cost more than the 150 for the insurance.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Its 8 AM where I am, if I were to leave it in til tomorrow morning do you think it would be safe to try?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Doesnt the fact that its working better this morning than it did last night mean anything good? haha

I think another 24 hours would work very well...it sounds like it was close...water was causing those small issues...if it was me(again, i have backups) I would prob go 48 hours just to be damn sure! LOL

Its 8 AM where I am, if I were to leave it in til tomorrow morning do you think it would be safe to try?
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

I only have an old blackberry and my sim card is too small for it, so I dont have a backup. But with another 24 hours itd be a total of about 36 so thats pretty long right? I just dont wanna waste my time waiting for it to dry out only for it still to not work. Cause then I have to call Bell so they can send me a replacement (I have a warranty that covers liquid damage), but its Thursday so then I wont have a phone til next week. All these different answers arent helping, haha.

May I ask why did yoiu turn the phone on so soon? "It didn't feel wet"? This doesn't mean that the inner parts are dry.
    Phone should've been covered in rice 2 - 3 days without turning on at all. 36 hours in two or three parts isn't "pretty long time" at all.
    Even though your phone worked better after second drying, there is probably some permanent damage already. So yes, you might try drying it once more but I'm pretty sure that there'll be still problems - so just get a new one if you have that extra warranty.

Sent from GT-I9505 via AC App
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Why does it matter. Im here to ask advice about what to do now, not what I shouldve done. I havent left it for two or three hour parts, its been sitting in the rice for about 15 hours now. It was in for about 12, I took it out to see if it would work and it was working better, but I put it back in as soon as I realized it wasnt working correctly, and I plan on leaving it in there for more than two or three hours.

Global Posts
    4,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

You can most certainly try and leave it for another 24 hours. That's not saying it'll definitely work out for you but it's worth a try at this point.

I just wanted to throw this out there, make sure it's brown, natural rice. White rice has a residue that'll get all over the phone. Honestly, not a fan of rice for drying, but if you're going to do it do it right.

And yes I know you did the rice already, I'm just mentioning it for someone else who may read this thread.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

i left it all day and over night and its fine now.
    westiewanderer likes this.

Global Posts
    4,887 Global Posts
    ROM
    EffortLess ROM

That's good to hear

very good to hear! Better safe than sorry! Enjoy!! *Grins*

Default Re: Pleeease HELP! I got my S4 wet.

Simple painful answer you got your digitizer wet. Meaning you need a new one and being it's literally glued to the screen you have to buy the ambled screen with it that's gonna run you somewhere around 200

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Pleeease HELP! I got my S4 wet.

Oh sadly once you took it apart you voided the warranty it will have void stickers once you open it up you break the seal and now if you don't have insurance most likely your stuck with off contract prices that are about 650 why didn't you get an otter box or a nice case?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app