Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon S4: CynogenMod

Hi guys, so I'm somewhat new to the android world and this is my first post. I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy s4 back in late august. After doing some research and playing around with my Google nexus 7 2013 edition, I decided I like a stock android look and feel much better than what Samsung offers (touch wiz). I was browsing android central the other day and ran across cynogenmod and was very intrigued. After some more research I decided I wanted to try it out. What's the best way to go about installing cynogenmod on my Samsung galaxy s4? Also, is it worth it for what I'm looking for it to do? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 01-23-2014 at 07:49 PM.

Default Re: CynogenMod

Easiest way is to use Odin to flash a custom recovery, dump the 2 zip files on the device, do a factory reset and then install the zip files and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by peejay1977 View Post
    Easiest way is to use Odin to flash a custom recovery, dump the 2 zip files on the device, do a factory reset and then install the zip files and that's it.

In short, yes, that's about it. If you're serious, you'll want to search around for the longer version...but there are plenty of "how-tos" out there, so it shouldn't be hard to find.

One roadblock, however, is that if your phone is from Verizon (and maybe AT&T?) and running the latest software, the bootloader is locked and there's no way to unlock it to install a custom recovery...which means you're essentially out of luck.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Ouch. I am with Verizon. That's a major bummer haha... No work around fix then?