Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Broken Screen, No USB Debugging, Screen Locked -- Pull Files?

So, i've got a customer with a Verizon Galaxy S4 with a completely shattered screen, USB debugging is disabled and the screen has a passcode lock, but the digitizer is broken.

I can't seem to use adb to pull the files off the internal storage(SD is already backed up), i'm guessing because USB debugging is off.

I was going to flash a recovery, but it seems I can't use the ODIN method to do it on the Verizon version of the S4, it instead needs the other method that requires having either adb or a working screen.

Is there anything I CAN do? OS is Windows 7 64-Bit.

I also didn't do the samsung sync thing on the phone, so I cannot do the Find My Mobile unlock method that was mentioned in another thread on here.

Default Re: Broken Screen, No USB Debugging, Screen Locked -- Pull Files?

Maybe Google? If the owner of the phone had backups turned on then all his/her app data should have been backed up... so unless they had sound recordings or pictures in system memory it would seem like the apps and their data should take priority, and those should be backed up automatically. I don't know for certain, but I believe that app data is backup up by default.

I broke my screen even worse once, when the lcd cracked. If you can see the screen and it's just the touch input that's broken, you could always plug in a USB OTG adapter and a USB mouse. That "should" give you full access to everything. USB OTG adapters are super cheap on eBay and I'm sure you have a USB mouse somewhere, pretty much any mouse will work.

If you can't see the screen at all you could go as far as to get a USB MHL adapter and use USB OTG, I hope, not entirely sure if you can use both at the same time, I've never tried.

Ultimately if all else fails just remember, most important data is backed up automatically. Hope you get what you're looking for!

Default Re: Broken Screen, No USB Debugging, Screen Locked -- Pull Files?

Quote Originally Posted by FutureKix View Post
    Maybe Google? If the owner of the phone had backups turned on then all his/her app data should have been backed up... so unless they had sound recordings or pictures in system memory it would seem like the apps and their data should take priority, and those should be backed up automatically. I don't know for certain, but I believe that app data is backup up by default.

I broke my screen even worse once, when the lcd cracked. If you can see the screen and it's just the touch input that's broken, you could always plug in a USB OTG adapter and a USB mouse. That "should" give you full access to everything. USB OTG adapters are super cheap on eBay and I'm sure you have a USB mouse somewhere, pretty much any mouse will work.

If you can't see the screen at all you could go as far as to get a USB MHL adapter and use USB OTG, I hope, not entirely sure if you can use both at the same time, I've never tried.

Ultimately if all else fails just remember, most important data is backed up automatically. Hope you get what you're looking for!
    If i acquire an MHL device for my galaxy s3 with a broken screen, how does input work?
    Can i somehow use a mouse or how will i control what is happening on my phone if i can't touch the screen or screen input isn't working?